River Ridge Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1066 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 26, 2013

My daughter has attended this school for 3 years. I am extremely happy with the curriculum and the teacher's involvement.

Posted August 7, 2012

Just wanted a little info about what is going at River Ridge. Went to a bridal shower and asked "what is going on at River Ridge, heard they are busing children in from everywhere, this is about the tenth time I have been asked in the last month. I know that parents are not happy with the current principal, but is this something that I really have to be concerned about? Would love some input, thanks.

Posted September 14, 2011

My daughter has been at river ridge since Kindergarten. At first, I was very happy with the school. Her kindergarten teacher was fantastic. As she progressed through the grades however, she has complained to me multiple times that she wanted to be more challenged in reading and spelling. I have talked to the teachers and they have done little to nothing to address the situation so I have had to challenge her at home. I am hoping this year will be different. It is a good school, but there are certainly some downfalls.

Posted March 14, 2011

I have sent all of my children to River Ridge and have loved the teachers. They are very dedicated and communicate well even though it is a very large school. The school also has a very active PTO. I have had some unpleasant dealings with the principal where I have come away feeling like she felt she had far more important things to do than talk to me. I'm also inclined to agree with another reviewer that the car rider situation is pretty chaotic. While the staff is great with the kids sometimes I think that the administration struggles to manage such a large number of students.

Posted January 2, 2011

This has great teachers! They have hands on activities with me and other students that need help. There progams are awesome! I am a 4th grader and I started in K. I want to stay until I go to 6th!!

Posted May 21, 2010

This is a great school! My son has really done well here. All the teachers and staff are really nice.

Posted December 10, 2009

This school is absoulutly the best! My daughters have gone there for five years and love it! They treat my children very well! I reccomend for you to apply your children!

Posted September 11, 2008

I think the car rider routine is ridiculous. I don't understand why you can't pick your kid up when needed. I picked my daughter up 2 times and was told I had to get a car rider number because they wanted consistancy. It's ridiculous. Other than that the teachers are great!!

Posted September 8, 2008

The teachers at River Ridge are great! My experience with the principal has not been so great. I have witnessed her being negative and harsh with the children. Sometimes I feel like she is so far removed from the classroom that she has difficulties connecting with the students.

Posted August 14, 2008

We have 3 children at River Ridge this year: 5th, 3rd and K. Our family has been more than pleased with the teachers, administration and education. Not only is the school well structured, but, we have seen our childrens needs met on all levels. They are being appropriately challenged and encouraged. All positives!!

Posted August 2, 2008

My 5 year old daughter Makenzie started at River Ridge for preschool. The teachers there were amazing!! She learned how to interact with others and started to learn so much. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted November 1, 2007

River Ridge has some great teachers. However, it is a very large school. I often feel like my children are part of a factory. It is a good school if your child is right in the middle academically or has certain special needs. If your child is above or below the curve, very little is done to help. This school is also so focused on the approach to discipline that my children become so focused on staying on green (good behavior) that they forget about learning. They are sometimes afraid to ask questions because it might be the wrong time and would get them moved to yellow (a warning). Althought I am am very active parent, I do not think that the leadership in this school is going to allow it to improve. We will not return next year.

Posted January 15, 2007

I am a parent of a second grader. I think they need to do more to encourage children who are more advanced in subjects and place them in more advanced classes to encourage learning. The gifted children seem to get quite bored from not being challenged. I think all of the teachers and staff are very hard working and go above and beyond as much as they can. I think the ratio student to teacher is off on this web site. My daughter has been in classes with as many as 25+ students per teacher over the past couple of years. I love the fact that the special needs children as so integrated in this school and the children are encouraged to learn sign language to speak with the deaf children and encouraged to interact with them. If I had any choice in Kenton County School district it would be here.

Posted August 30, 2006

This school for my 5th grader was awesome.He was a slow learning student and mrs,h brown reached out to him,he loved her and most of all he loved the school.

Posted February 19, 2006

My son goes to preschool at riverridge and they are great. He has learned so much there and we are thrilled by his progress.

Posted January 31, 2006

River Ridge has offered my sons the opportunity to go 'above and beyond' in any subject they choose, and teach them acceptance and understanding of special needs students. I have been very impressed with the teaching and administrative staff's willingness to talk with me at any time, and assist us in getting the best education for our children.

Posted January 27, 2006

My son's kindergarten experience at River Ridge this year (2006) has been an extreme disappointment My son has special needs and the teachers, principals, and special education teachers have not been helpful in implementing a program to help in academic excellence. It is truly a sad and upsetting experience. I hope that all parents with special needs children will consider another school for their child's future education.

Posted November 22, 2005

The quality of the teachers is solid. They have different levels of teaching for your child in each grade depending on you childs current development. I would rate our experience with this scholl to be positive

Posted October 6, 2003

I have a special needs child, and have only been at River Ridge since August of 03. In that short amount of time (it is 10-6-03), I have been amazed! I have been extremely impressed with everyone (the secretaries, principal, teachers,guidence counselors, etc...) They are extremely organized, and I have not met one person who hasn't been extremely caring, hard-working and upbeat! They make you feel like your child is the only one in school! I could't speak more highly of this institution and its staff! I give River Ridge 10 stars on a scale of 1-5!!

The state average for Math was 44% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, and continuing in 2012-2013, Kentucky used the Kentucky Performance Rating for Educational Progress (K-PREP) tests to assess students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics, 4 and 7 in science, 5 and 8 in social studies, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 in writing, and 4, 6, and 10 in language mechanics. The K-PREP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky.

Language Mechanics

The state average for Language Mechanics was 54% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 47% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 59% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 36% in 2013.

All Students69%

Economically disadvantaged32%
Students with disabilities22%
English language learners7%

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2011.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 60% in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or distinguished

Until 2010-2011, Kentucky used the Kentucky Core Content Tests (KCCT) to assess students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 through 12 in reading, social studies, science, writing, and math. The Elementary School results displayed on GreatSchools profiles are for grades 3 through 5 combined for each subject. Middle School results are for grades 6 though 8 combined, and High School results are for grades 10 though 12 combined. The KCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Kentucky. Beginning in 2011-2012, Kentucky switched to the K-PREP and EOC exams.

Asian 5% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A57%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2772 Amsterdam Rd