No rating

The Runnels School

Private | PK-12 | 794 students

Student diversity

Living in Baton Rouge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $142,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted November 4, 2014

I graduated Runnels in 2011 and am what some call, a "lifer". My elementary school experience was phenomenal and topnotch (love Mrs. O in the library). Once I got to middle school, I noticed a decline, but I loved the close knit, liberal(ish), no uniform atmosphere, so I decided to stay for high school. I regret staying for high school and could not recommend this experience to anyone. In fact, my academic self esteem plummeted as I was constantly placed in mediocre math and science classes because the faculty had pigeon-holed me as "one of the dumb kids." Nepotism runs high as the Runnels' kids and their family friends monopolize the advanced classes. Ms. Dana S., the advisor told me I could never get into UNC-A, Sewannee, Millsaps or any college besides LSU or Southeastern with my grades and ACT. I ended up at a topnotch liberal arts school, received a hefty scholarship, and excelled in college level math and science. I am graduating early with a BS degree no thanks to Dana or the math and science department at Runnels. TL;DR: a great elementary school that will inspire creative thought and provide an excellent education until 6th or 7th grade.

Posted October 3, 2014

Wonderful school with an amazing staff. They have a wonderful arts program with unlimited possibilities. My child has been here for four years and we know we've made the best choice for our child. She loves her school and teachers. Once you visit the school, sit in on a class, or meet the administration you'll fall in love. I truly believe it is a hidden gem in Baton Rouge.

Posted September 11, 2014

I could not disagree more with a few of the past reviews. My experiences with Runnels could be summarized in one word: hassle. When integrated into the public school system after leaving, I was far behind most kids in my grade. The bullying accusations about the teachers and students could not be more true. The only thing that is valued at Runnels is money, and if you don't have it, you do not belong there.

Posted September 11, 2014

I had one child attend from early elementary till graduation and have two additional children there now. I can agree and disagree with several of the comments below. I will start that we enjoy the diversity of the curriculum and teachers. We enjoy the small classes, various teaching size and their willingness to work with children who learn differently. I will agree that there a definite cliques among teachers, parents and students, but I challenge you to find a school where there is not. I hope the new administration will help with this situation. Overall, I feel my children have received and will continue to receive an above average education. The elementary is great and they have been instituting new programs to try to help with the bullying/clique issues. We have greatly enjoyed the heavy emphasis on the arts. It is important in the development of the child as a whole. Also, the teachers are willing to spend time away from school to address any questions you have as a parent.

Posted September 10, 2014

Amazing school! stresses individualism, creativity, promotes kindness and character. Phenomenal arts programs and music including harp. Teachers are fully engaged and passionate about the development of the whole child. My daughter was reading at 3 through their preschool but never drilled or pushed beyond her comfort. Definitely not the typical "fit into our box" type of school. I'm sorry to see some of the bad reviews. In our 3 years, we've had a wonderful experience. We plan to stay through 12th grade.

Posted September 10, 2014

Our kids have been at the Runnels School for 9 years. Of course we're biased- But truthfully, education has always been top priority to us. When we moved to Baton Rouge, we toured each Private School we considered. I remember taking the Runnels School Tour - all we could say was that "This is the school we wish we had gone to" . One of my favorite aspects of Runnels is that many of the teachers are parents. So they get it- if you go to them and say that you're child is having a tough time- they understand AS A PARENT how you feel-That means the world to me- They have been nothing but incredible- We are certain that our children are getting a top-notch education- My son wants to go to MIT or Harvard - I feel confident that with the Runnels School system, he can achieve that goal. There is NO other choice ;) Your children will thrive at this school

Posted August 31, 2014

I'm a high school student at Runnels School. I have been attending Runnels for four years, and it is a wonderful school. The teachers are kind and are generally excellent (there are a couple bad ones, like in every school.) As to the allegations of bullying, there is little to none. It might possibly be just that my grade is a particularly small and nice grade, but many of my classes are with upperclassmen and I see no bullying whatsoever. I made many friends and met some of my best friends at Runnels. There are many fun clubs and activities, and there are some classes that are not offered in many other places. I would recommend looking into this school for your child.

Posted August 30, 2014

The school is terrible except for the elementary school and the art program. I had many issues with the administration, the main one being that when I was being bullied, they wouldn't do anything because of the bully's ethnicity. The guidance councilor is the principal, and because of that, the students didn t have anyone to talk to for help. The principal was overheard by students on many occasions talking about various inappropriate subjects. A number of classes I took were extremely agitating because the majority of my teachers were not able to teach to every student s learning style, or they didn t even have a degree in the subject they were teaching. The teachers spread gossip just as much as (if not more than) the students. The school basically stole from students; there were cases where teachers would pick up students' materials and put them in the lost and found and MAKE THE STUDENTS PAY to get their things back. I enjoyed the "free spirited" environment, but the cons outweighed the pros. I feel like my time at Runnels High School was a massive waste of time and money and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 24, 2014

Runnels School is fantastic! We love everything about it. I have 2 children there and they are both learning so much. The music, drama and art programs are excellent. My daughter started playing the clarinet in the 4th grade. They also offer harp and violin classes starting in the 4th grade. My oldest daughter is kind of shy, but she is coming out of her shell in a big way. She would not have done this without the support and love her teachers have shown her. She has opened up so much that she got the lead role in one of the plays! We have nothing but good things to say about Runnels.

Posted August 20, 2013

In reference to the Oct 20, 2012 post. I am the person who posted the Sept. 7 comment. What I should have said is that a majority of the public school teachers I have met wind up getting their Masters Degree because state certifications are only good for 1-3 years and they have to be tested over and over again. Since my kid has been in public school, every teacher he has come into contact with has their Masters. As a teacher yourself, I am very surprised that you find the Runnels curriculum satisfactory. Since leaving, I encountered no less than 6 parents who ran into the same issue I did. This is not a coincidence. Overall, is it worth it? Think about it. 50% of BR's kids go to private school. I did a little math. That is about 360 MILLION DOLLARS going into the private school system every year. Just think, if that money and time was spent in the public schools, we would have the best schools in the nation. It think that the negative stereotype about BR public schools is more about the color of the majority students. All the kids on my street go to BR International. Let's just say, that one is a joke too. My kid can spell rings around those kids.

Posted July 31, 2013

I've been going to Runnels since kindergarden. The Elementary school is great. But the Jr. High and Sr. High schools were more of a problem. Many teachers are not fit to teach. Many are unintrested in the subject they are suppose to teach. Most of these teachers are just the parents of students, and the reason why they teach is that the children of the shool staff get free tuition. The few good teachers here have left or have plans to leave because of poor pay (the pay here for teachers is worst than the local public schools). The administration is a mess. The high school principal and counselor are the *same* person. More money goes to the baseball fields and surviellance cameras than pay for teachers or school equipment. There have been a few things that have kept me here for the past 11 years. Good friends, a few awesome teachers, and a relaxed atmosphere were pros for me at Runnels. But with those friends and teachers going to other schools, and a school looking worse and worse with each month, I chose to apply a local public school rather than go back to Runnels for the last two years of my High school career.

Posted July 20, 2013

I went to this school for five years. I wouldn't go back if my life depended on it. If I were you, I would seriously reconsider ever thinking about this school. It has a major problem with cliques, teachers, and morals in general. Many children here have no respect for anyone else but themselves. They are being taught that it is OK to hit others or verbally abuse them, if they are lacking in different subjects or poor. I was bullied every day for the weakest reasons and many of my friends who are too scared to leave have told me many horrible stories in the past two years. If I could, I would rate this score with no stars. Sadly, I can't.

Posted July 15, 2013

My children have been going to Runnels for 10 years. Like anything, you get out what you put in. The education is top notch and nationally competitive. Graduates have been admitted to schools such as John Hopkins, Tulane, Rice and Brown Universities as well as many state schools. Socially, Runnels has cliques like every other school. Girls can be mean and boys can be competitive just like the rest of the nation's schools. Runnels not only tolerates but embraces other cultures and religions. My children have been taught to experience and learn ways that are different from their own giving them an appreciation for their own values and beliefs. As all schools, there have been teacher issues. The administration has not only addressed the problems but supported many parents with a solution. It is not a perfect place and has it's faults. The sports program is not supported by the school as much as the liberal arts program, therefore resulting in a lack of a large amount of athletic students. Sports has never been a priority of this school as the education is and always will be top priority. If you choose Runnels, participate, join the RPO, give so you can gain!

Posted June 13, 2013

Runnels is an excellent school. There is a nurturing environment with excellent teachers. The academics, the arts, and the sports programs are as good as any school in B.R. My daughter has been going there for seven years, and we are all pleased with the quality of education she is receiving. You should consider Runnels as an excellent school.

Posted October 20, 2012

This is in reference to the parent that posted on September 7, 2012. I am a degreed and certified teacher so I am fully aware that a Master's Degree is not required to teach in public schools. You are incorrect in that statement. Teachers in public schools are only required to be certified by the state to teach. Both of my children attend Runnels and I did a lot of research being a teacher myself as to which schools around town are warm and loving and have a competant teaching environment. I taught in public schools, you need to be mindful of certain types of teachers there. I personally knew a few public school teachers that had zero business being around children. I am sorry to hear you had an unfortunate experience at Runnels and I hope your public school experience is much better. We have enjoyed Runnels and I find the principal to be the most kind woman I have met who is always concerned about the well being of her students. She loves children and I have seen it by her behavior and expectations of her teachers time and time again.

Posted September 12, 2012

Use caution before sending your child/children to Runnels. As the previous parent stated, the administration is known for pushing parents to have their children "evaluated" and administered meds for what they perceive to be ADHD problems. For parents that refuse to medicate their children, they are told they are no longer welcome. The administration went so far as to dispute my child's doctor, and insist that ADHD meds were necessary. The teaching staff is mediocre at best. You will find better teachers in the magnet programs of Baton Rouge, in addition to a better education. The staff also has a history of hiding teacher misconduct. Please beware of this program.

Posted May 19, 2012

Im a student and I have to say, the teachers here are great, but the bullying is very over looked. I once was eing bullied by a few popular girls and the guidence counceler didnt do anything about it! Sometimes I would go home crying! Think twice before going to this school!

Posted April 20, 2012

My children have been attending Runnels since they were 2 y/o. We chose this school over others b/c we know Kelly & Gladys Runnels personally. There are definitely differnces between the grades as we noticed as our children progressed through them. The lower pre-K through elementary seemed more tolerant, accepting and supportive. The middle school thru high school seemed less so and our kids had to adapt to "new expectations". The high school is overall above average, but the teachers are hit & miss - it is important to realize that as a private school, Runnels is mandated to employ only teachers who are certified ... a certain number can be non-certified. However, we find that the music/arts programs are superb ... the productions are steallar and very well done. The sports program is developing as Runnels is now 2A & is very competitive. Are ther cliques? Yes. Runnels does not operate in a vacuum & is just as prone to this as other schools albeit on a smaller scale. We've found that the adminstration is more likely to support their staff than other schools ... a "bad" thing? We're not sure. Overall, we really have few negatives to say. Definitely worth looking into to in BR area.

Posted November 3, 2011

My children are attending for their fourth year, and we are looking elsewhere to continue their education. Allegations about cliques and unequal educational opportunites are spot on - the school definitely plays favorites. This is NOT the normal stuff you see in every school, it is sanctioned by the elementary administration! They have a known bully problem, but the bullies are protected. Both of my children have been physically assaulted on campus, one in a classroom where the teacher was missing. The offenders were not punished because the administration sympathizes with the "hardworking, involved" offenders' parents. My children were initially blamed for not defending themselves or provoking it. I have been threatened on campus by a student, and the administration laughed it off because the child has "impulse control problems" and didn't mean it. I am afraid for the safety of my children.

Posted July 10, 2011

My 2 boys have been very happy at Runnels. All of the previous comments about cliques is not the fault of the school, but rather the fault of the parents who are raising these children. It does happen at every school. Parents need to teach their children to accept other children into their circle of friends. Once one child does it others will follow. It happens in adults as well. Most parents who act like that have children that act that way as well. I feel the academics are great and the teachers really care.

17255 South Harrell's Ferry Road