No rating

The Runnels School

Private | PK-12 | 794 students

Student diversity

Living in Baton Rouge

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $142,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted January 30, 2014

Going to this school is like being sentenced to an indefinite jail time. Everyone is in a cliche or group. Fights occur all the time. Regardless of the MANY cliches, you are taught at an impossibly slow rate. . x. b..

Posted August 20, 2013

In reference to the Oct 20, 2012 post. I am the person who posted the Sept. 7 comment. What I should have said is that a majority of the public school teachers I have met wind up getting their Masters Degree because state certifications are only good for 1-3 years and they have to be tested over and over again. Since my kid has been in public school, every teacher he has come into contact with has their Masters. As a teacher yourself, I am very surprised that you find the Runnels curriculum satisfactory. Since leaving, I encountered no less than 6 parents who ran into the same issue I did. This is not a coincidence. Overall, is it worth it? Think about it. 50% of BR's kids go to private school. I did a little math. That is about 360 MILLION DOLLARS going into the private school system every year. Just think, if that money and time was spent in the public schools, we would have the best schools in the nation. It think that the negative stereotype about BR public schools is more about the color of the majority students. All the kids on my street go to BR International. Let's just say, that one is a joke too. My kid can spell rings around those kids.

Posted July 31, 2013

I've been going to Runnels since kindergarden. The Elementary school is great. But the Jr. High and Sr. High schools were more of a problem. Many teachers are not fit to teach. Many are unintrested in the subject they are suppose to teach. Most of these teachers are just the parents of students, and the reason why they teach is that the children of the shool staff get free tuition. The few good teachers here have left or have plans to leave because of poor pay (the pay here for teachers is worst than the local public schools). The administration is a mess. The high school principal and counselor are the *same* person. More money goes to the baseball fields and surviellance cameras than pay for teachers or school equipment. There have been a few things that have kept me here for the past 11 years. Good friends, a few awesome teachers, and a relaxed atmosphere were pros for me at Runnels. But with those friends and teachers going to other schools, and a school looking worse and worse with each month, I chose to apply a local public school rather than go back to Runnels for the last two years of my High school career.

Posted July 20, 2013

I went to this school for five years. I wouldn't go back if my life depended on it. If I were you, I would seriously reconsider ever thinking about this school. It has a major problem with cliques, teachers, and morals in general. Many children here have no respect for anyone else but themselves. They are being taught that it is OK to hit others or verbally abuse them, if they are lacking in different subjects or poor. I was bullied every day for the weakest reasons and many of my friends who are too scared to leave have told me many horrible stories in the past two years. If I could, I would rate this score with no stars. Sadly, I can't.

Posted July 15, 2013

My children have been going to Runnels for 10 years. Like anything, you get out what you put in. The education is top notch and nationally competitive. Graduates have been admitted to schools such as John Hopkins, Tulane, Rice and Brown Universities as well as many state schools. Socially, Runnels has cliques like every other school. Girls can be mean and boys can be competitive just like the rest of the nation's schools. Runnels not only tolerates but embraces other cultures and religions. My children have been taught to experience and learn ways that are different from their own giving them an appreciation for their own values and beliefs. As all schools, there have been teacher issues. The administration has not only addressed the problems but supported many parents with a solution. It is not a perfect place and has it's faults. The sports program is not supported by the school as much as the liberal arts program, therefore resulting in a lack of a large amount of athletic students. Sports has never been a priority of this school as the education is and always will be top priority. If you choose Runnels, participate, join the RPO, give so you can gain!

Posted June 13, 2013

Runnels is an excellent school. There is a nurturing environment with excellent teachers. The academics, the arts, and the sports programs are as good as any school in B.R. My daughter has been going there for seven years, and we are all pleased with the quality of education she is receiving. You should consider Runnels as an excellent school.

Posted October 20, 2012

This is in reference to the parent that posted on September 7, 2012. I am a degreed and certified teacher so I am fully aware that a Master's Degree is not required to teach in public schools. You are incorrect in that statement. Teachers in public schools are only required to be certified by the state to teach. Both of my children attend Runnels and I did a lot of research being a teacher myself as to which schools around town are warm and loving and have a competant teaching environment. I taught in public schools, you need to be mindful of certain types of teachers there. I personally knew a few public school teachers that had zero business being around children. I am sorry to hear you had an unfortunate experience at Runnels and I hope your public school experience is much better. We have enjoyed Runnels and I find the principal to be the most kind woman I have met who is always concerned about the well being of her students. She loves children and I have seen it by her behavior and expectations of her teachers time and time again.

Posted September 12, 2012

Use caution before sending your child/children to Runnels. As the previous parent stated, the administration is known for pushing parents to have their children "evaluated" and administered meds for what they perceive to be ADHD problems. For parents that refuse to medicate their children, they are told they are no longer welcome. The administration went so far as to dispute my child's doctor, and insist that ADHD meds were necessary. The teaching staff is mediocre at best. You will find better teachers in the magnet programs of Baton Rouge, in addition to a better education. The staff also has a history of hiding teacher misconduct. Please beware of this program.

Posted May 19, 2012

Im a student and I have to say, the teachers here are great, but the bullying is very over looked. I once was eing bullied by a few popular girls and the guidence counceler didnt do anything about it! Sometimes I would go home crying! Think twice before going to this school!

Posted April 20, 2012

My children have been attending Runnels since they were 2 y/o. We chose this school over others b/c we know Kelly & Gladys Runnels personally. There are definitely differnces between the grades as we noticed as our children progressed through them. The lower pre-K through elementary seemed more tolerant, accepting and supportive. The middle school thru high school seemed less so and our kids had to adapt to "new expectations". The high school is overall above average, but the teachers are hit & miss - it is important to realize that as a private school, Runnels is mandated to employ only teachers who are certified ... a certain number can be non-certified. However, we find that the music/arts programs are superb ... the productions are steallar and very well done. The sports program is developing as Runnels is now 2A & is very competitive. Are ther cliques? Yes. Runnels does not operate in a vacuum & is just as prone to this as other schools albeit on a smaller scale. We've found that the adminstration is more likely to support their staff than other schools ... a "bad" thing? We're not sure. Overall, we really have few negatives to say. Definitely worth looking into to in BR area.

Posted November 3, 2011

My children are attending for their fourth year, and we are looking elsewhere to continue their education. Allegations about cliques and unequal educational opportunites are spot on - the school definitely plays favorites. This is NOT the normal stuff you see in every school, it is sanctioned by the elementary administration! They have a known bully problem, but the bullies are protected. Both of my children have been physically assaulted on campus, one in a classroom where the teacher was missing. The offenders were not punished because the administration sympathizes with the "hardworking, involved" offenders' parents. My children were initially blamed for not defending themselves or provoking it. I have been threatened on campus by a student, and the administration laughed it off because the child has "impulse control problems" and didn't mean it. I am afraid for the safety of my children.

Posted July 10, 2011

My 2 boys have been very happy at Runnels. All of the previous comments about cliques is not the fault of the school, but rather the fault of the parents who are raising these children. It does happen at every school. Parents need to teach their children to accept other children into their circle of friends. Once one child does it others will follow. It happens in adults as well. Most parents who act like that have children that act that way as well. I feel the academics are great and the teachers really care.

Posted December 17, 2010

Runnels is overall a pretty good school, and as a current student, I really benefit from the school's arts program. The academics are fairly good, however, many teachers at Runnels are below par. I also feel that not every student here at Runnels is treated equally. Certain students are given opportunities to take advanced classes while other students who are just as smart and talented are not. Another problem I have with Runnels is that it is not culturally diverse and not always non-denominational, although it claims to be. I would guess that the school is about 95% white, with only a few African American, Asian, Middle Eastern, and Latin American students.. Teachers sometimes talk as if their religion is the only acceptable religion (adamantly defending creationism in a science class, for example). Complaints aside, however, I have been attending Runnels most of my life and have gotten a pretty good education despite the fallbacks. I feel that the arts education, especially the music program, has really shaped who I am. Please look into this school for your child, but beware that like most other schools, Runnels has its fallbacks.

Posted May 14, 2010

Our child has been very happy at Runnels and has received an outstanding education from the school. There certainly are cliques there, as there are at any school.

Posted May 5, 2010

My daughter attended Runnels for one year and she adored the teachers. There is a big problem with cliques among the students and they are not welcoming to Not only were they not welcoming, they made it a point for her to know that she was not in the group. She would try to join a group of girls at lunch and they would either get up and leave or stay quiet when she came over to sit. If they started a conversation and she joined in they would completely ignore her! I would pick her up in the evenings and she would look so rejected and sad. So I thought, well since we are the new ones, let us reach out to them. We planned a pool party at our home and she gave invitations to all girls in her class. Four (4) RSVP and 2 came! We left Runnels.

Posted March 24, 2010

My child has attended Runnels Elementary for two years. O verall, we are very satisfied with the academics and with the social mileau. The quality of teachers and instruction is very high. The school's non-sectarian philosophy is important to us and there is some diversity in the student body composition, but there could be more. There is a certain cliqueishness among some parents and student organizations led by volunteer parents. Although that can happen anywhere, the school could do more to offset exclusionary practices and reach out to new students.

Posted October 28, 2009

My grandchildren attend Runnels. They are well mannered, and are learning more than most schools would/could provide.

Posted June 8, 2009

As a Runnels school teacher with some public school teaching experience, this school is far superior. The parent/teacher interface is exceptional in that it allows parents greater influence over curricular activities and design. Class size and teacher resources are excellent. This is a college preparatory school that strives to place graduates in higher education. Students not prepared to work toward a college degree will not be as successful at Runnels. Students who wish to enter skilled trade training, should attend another institution.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 20, 2009

Although I love the way the school is set up and what they stand for...I have to say the teachers in the end were a huge disappointment. But, fortunately they come and go. It's mostly a 'people problem' that is inescapable for many schools. If we as Americans and Good People could take more pride in our children, most of the issues Runnels faces would deminish. I feel sorry for them really because they are only one of many schools who suffer because of their staff and frankly the parents are to blame for some of the issues too, so I'd say it's a community problem all around! We will miss Runnels in many ways and appreciate what my child did learn and honor those teachers who were great!

Posted March 24, 2009

I disagree with another post saying that Runnels doesn't accept learning disability kids. My son is in that category and he graduated from Runnels. Moreover, when we told the Runnels administration that we were going to move him when he started his sophmore year, they basically told us that he shouldn't leave, and asked us what they would need to do to have him stay. Also, as far as the test scores go, such a large percentage of these kids go to Runnels from such a young age, its hard to argue that the test scores aren't based in large part to the instruction they are getting at the school.

17255 South Harrell's Ferry Road