Baton Rouge, LA

Posted December 05, 2014
Choosing a school that best fits the needs of your family can be challenging. The educational landscape in Baton Rouge is tough to navigate. I feel fortunate that my family has found a home at Runnels School. Runnels is truly a home. The school community from preschool to high school is welcoming, nurturing, and academically challenging. My boys have found a safe place to learn and grow, formed strong friendships, been encouraged creatively and found success in athletics. Overall, the education they receive is well rounded. My husband and I are beginning to see glimpses of the young men they are becoming and we value the mark that Runnels is leaving on them. My family will be forever grateful to Runnels School. As to the reviews on this page and others that speak to bullying, derision and favoritism by faculty and staff, I respectfully disagree. That has not been our experience or that of our peers. If you are looking for a school that values the individual, Runnels is the place for you.

The Runnels School 3

Posted November 04, 2014
I graduated Runnels in 2011 and am what some call, a "lifer". My elementary school experience was phenomenal and topnotch (love Mrs. O in the library). Once I got to middle school, I noticed a decline, but I loved the close knit, liberal(ish), no uniform atmosphere, so I decided to stay for high school. I regret staying for high school and could not recommend this experience to anyone. In fact, my academic self esteem plummeted as I was constantly placed in mediocre math and science classes because the faculty had pigeon-holed me as "one of the dumb kids." Nepotism runs high as the Runnels' kids and their family friends monopolize the advanced classes. Ms. Dana S., the advisor told me I could never get into UNC-A, Sewannee, Millsaps or any college besides LSU or Southeastern with my grades and ACT. I ended up at a topnotch liberal arts school, received a hefty scholarship, and excelled in college level math and science. I am graduating early with a BS degree no thanks to Dana or the math and science department at Runnels. TL;DR: a great elementary school that will inspire creative thought and provide an excellent education until 6th or 7th grade.

Posted October 03, 2014
Wonderful school with an amazing staff. They have a wonderful arts program with unlimited possibilities. My child has been here for four years and we know we've made the best choice for our child. She loves her school and teachers. Once you visit the school, sit in on a class, or meet the administration you'll fall in love. I truly believe it is a hidden gem in Baton Rouge.

The Runnels School 1

Posted September 11, 2014
I could not disagree more with a few of the past reviews. My experiences with Runnels could be summarized in one word: hassle. When integrated into the public school system after leaving, I was far behind most kids in my grade. The bullying accusations about the teachers and students could not be more true. The only thing that is valued at Runnels is money, and if you don't have it, you do not belong there.

The Runnels School 4

Posted September 11, 2014
I had one child attend from early elementary till graduation and have two additional children there now. I can agree and disagree with several of the comments below. I will start that we enjoy the diversity of the curriculum and teachers. We enjoy the small classes, various teaching size and their willingness to work with children who learn differently. I will agree that there a definite cliques among teachers, parents and students, but I challenge you to find a school where there is not. I hope the new administration will help with this situation. Overall, I feel my children have received and will continue to receive an above average education. The elementary is great and they have been instituting new programs to try to help with the bullying/clique issues. We have greatly enjoyed the heavy emphasis on the arts. It is important in the development of the child as a whole. Also, the teachers are willing to spend time away from school to address any questions you have as a parent.

Posted September 10, 2014
Amazing school! stresses individualism, creativity, promotes kindness and character. Phenomenal arts programs and music including harp. Teachers are fully engaged and passionate about the development of the whole child. My daughter was reading at 3 through their preschool but never drilled or pushed beyond her comfort. Definitely not the typical "fit into our box" type of school. I'm sorry to see some of the bad reviews. In our 3 years, we've had a wonderful experience. We plan to stay through 12th grade.

Posted September 10, 2014
Our kids have been at the Runnels School for 9 years. Of course we're biased- But truthfully, education has always been top priority to us. When we moved to Baton Rouge, we toured each Private School we considered. I remember taking the Runnels School Tour - all we could say was that "This is the school we wish we had gone to" . One of my favorite aspects of Runnels is that many of the teachers are parents. So they get it- if you go to them and say that you're child is having a tough time- they understand AS A PARENT how you feel-That means the world to me- They have been nothing but incredible- We are certain that our children are getting a top-notch education- My son wants to go to MIT or Harvard - I feel confident that with the Runnels School system, he can achieve that goal. There is NO other choice ;) Your children will thrive at this school

Posted August 31, 2014
I'm a high school student at Runnels School. I have been attending Runnels for four years, and it is a wonderful school. The teachers are kind and are generally excellent (there are a couple bad ones, like in every school.) As to the allegations of bullying, there is little to none. It might possibly be just that my grade is a particularly small and nice grade, but many of my classes are with upperclassmen and I see no bullying whatsoever. I made many friends and met some of my best friends at Runnels. There are many fun clubs and activities, and there are some classes that are not offered in many other places. I would recommend looking into this school for your child.

The Runnels School 1

Posted August 30, 2014
The school is terrible except for the elementary school and the art program. I had many issues with the administration, the main one being that when I was being bullied, they wouldn't do anything because of the bully's ethnicity. The guidance councilor is the principal, and because of that, the students didn t have anyone to talk to for help. The principal was overheard by students on many occasions talking about various inappropriate subjects. A number of classes I took were extremely agitating because the majority of my teachers were not able to teach to every student s learning style, or they didn t even have a degree in the subject they were teaching. The teachers spread gossip just as much as (if not more than) the students. The school basically stole from students; there were cases where teachers would pick up students' materials and put them in the lost and found and MAKE THE STUDENTS PAY to get their things back. I enjoyed the "free spirited" environment, but the cons outweighed the pros. I feel like my time at Runnels High School was a massive waste of time and money and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Posted July 24, 2014
Runnels School is fantastic! We love everything about it. I have 2 children there and they are both learning so much. The music, drama and art programs are excellent. My daughter started playing the clarinet in the 4th grade. They also offer harp and violin classes starting in the 4th grade. My oldest daughter is kind of shy, but she is coming out of her shell in a big way. She would not have done this without the support and love her teachers have shown her. She has opened up so much that she got the lead role in one of the plays! We have nothing but good things to say about Runnels.

The Runnels School