Baton Rouge, LA

Posted February 14, 2015
My child has had 3 teacher changes in one class in half a year. They have done away with the best teachers they had. I don't pay this kind of money for my son to be spoon fed a substandard education. If I wanted him to have a high school pedagogical experience, I would send him to public school. This school was superb when Dr and Mrs Runnels were still involved. Since the administration change, the students are unhappy, the best faculty are being fired or quitting, and the expectations are lowering.
4 people found this helpful

Posted February 04, 2015
Im a student at runnels and I DO NOT plan on returning here for the rest of high school, there are so many cliques. Every day I see someone crying or upset because someone is bullying them. The principal and guidance consoler are the *same* person, and in the end she doesn't help. The education is good until you reach 7th Grade, after that it seems as if none of the teachers care. As for the English department many people complain about it, but 9th grade English was the best class on campus, because the teacher seems to actually care about us. The teachers also spread more gossip than the students, which is saying a lot considering how much gossip is spread. If you lose something and its put in lost-found, then you are expected to pay to get your things back. The sport teams are okay but the only ones that are really good are Cross Country, track, Baseball, and boys basketball. If you are considering teaching here and want your kid to attend on free tuition DON'T DO IT!!! you will get paid even less than teachers without kids attending this school, which is already a terrible pay. Being a TK (teachers kid) I know, and I promise its bad. In the end I would not come to this school

Posted February 03, 2015
My child currently goes to the Runnels preschool, and I have been extremely impressed by the teachers, staff, and curriculum. Before starting the preschool, my son went to daycare, and I have been extremely happy with our transition from a "care center" into a school where my two year old is learning math, science, reading, arts, and more. After his first month, he had already started singing the alphabet, counting to 10, and using the potty. Now after 5 months in the pre-school he is so excited about school and learning. The great thing about Runnels, is that it is not just about the learning. The teachers are caring, and the environment is like a family. There are always wonderful events throughout the year, and I couldn't be happier with our choice.

Posted January 30, 2015
Former teacher - Since 2011, the administration of this private school has seen a huge turnover. The new staff is almost entirely female and has little management experience. They were probably good teachers, but are not accomplished at management - and were not taught the skills to manage people toward an agreed upon goal. Classroom teaching is NOT the same skill set as is management. Further, this school is teaching a high school pedagogy rather than a college preparatory curriculum. If you want your child to learn at the high school level, save your tuition and send them to a public school. If you want a college prep curriculum, avoid sending your children here. The curriculum has low expectations of its students and accepts students who will maximize the school's income; they will not prepare your children for college. The curriculum has been "dumbed" down so that students who should be in a trade school will graduate with honors.
6 people found this helpful

Posted December 05, 2014
Choosing a school that best fits the needs of your family can be challenging. The educational landscape in Baton Rouge is tough to navigate. I feel fortunate that my family has found a home at Runnels School. Runnels is truly a home. The school community from preschool to high school is welcoming, nurturing, and academically challenging. My boys have found a safe place to learn and grow, formed strong friendships, been encouraged creatively and found success in athletics. Overall, the education they receive is well rounded. My husband and I are beginning to see glimpses of the young men they are becoming and we value the mark that Runnels is leaving on them. My family will be forever grateful to Runnels School. As to the reviews on this page and others that speak to bullying, derision and favoritism by faculty and staff, I respectfully disagree. That has not been our experience or that of our peers. If you are looking for a school that values the individual, Runnels is the place for you.

The Runnels School 3

Posted November 04, 2014
I graduated Runnels in 2011 and am what some call, a "lifer". My elementary school experience was phenomenal and topnotch (love Mrs. O in the library). Once I got to middle school, I noticed a decline, but I loved the close knit, liberal(ish), no uniform atmosphere, so I decided to stay for high school. I regret staying for high school and could not recommend this experience to anyone. In fact, my academic self esteem plummeted as I was constantly placed in mediocre math and science classes because the faculty had pigeon-holed me as "one of the dumb kids." Nepotism runs high as the Runnels' kids and their family friends monopolize the advanced classes. Ms. Dana S., the advisor told me I could never get into UNC-A, Sewannee, Millsaps or any college besides LSU or Southeastern with my grades and ACT. I ended up at a topnotch liberal arts school, received a hefty scholarship, and excelled in college level math and science. I am graduating early with a BS degree no thanks to Dana or the math and science department at Runnels. TL;DR: a great elementary school that will inspire creative thought and provide an excellent education until 6th or 7th grade.

Posted October 03, 2014
Wonderful school with an amazing staff. They have a wonderful arts program with unlimited possibilities. My child has been here for four years and we know we've made the best choice for our child. She loves her school and teachers. Once you visit the school, sit in on a class, or meet the administration you'll fall in love. I truly believe it is a hidden gem in Baton Rouge.

Posted September 11, 2014
I could not disagree more with a few of the past reviews. My experiences with Runnels could be summarized in one word: hassle. When integrated into the public school system after leaving, I was far behind most kids in my grade. The bullying accusations about the teachers and students could not be more true. The only thing that is valued at Runnels is money, and if you don't have it, you do not belong there.

The Runnels School 4

Posted September 11, 2014
I had one child attend from early elementary till graduation and have two additional children there now. I can agree and disagree with several of the comments below. I will start that we enjoy the diversity of the curriculum and teachers. We enjoy the small classes, various teaching size and their willingness to work with children who learn differently. I will agree that there a definite cliques among teachers, parents and students, but I challenge you to find a school where there is not. I hope the new administration will help with this situation. Overall, I feel my children have received and will continue to receive an above average education. The elementary is great and they have been instituting new programs to try to help with the bullying/clique issues. We have greatly enjoyed the heavy emphasis on the arts. It is important in the development of the child as a whole. Also, the teachers are willing to spend time away from school to address any questions you have as a parent.

Posted September 10, 2014
Amazing school! stresses individualism, creativity, promotes kindness and character. Phenomenal arts programs and music including harp. Teachers are fully engaged and passionate about the development of the whole child. My daughter was reading at 3 through their preschool but never drilled or pushed beyond her comfort. Definitely not the typical "fit into our box" type of school. I'm sorry to see some of the bad reviews. In our 3 years, we've had a wonderful experience. We plan to stay through 12th grade.

The Runnels School