Baton Rouge, LA

Posted May 16, 2015
My daughter started Runnels in 2nd grade and loved the school from day 1. She is a minority student. We left the school after 4th grade due to relocation to another state. We did not have any incidents along the way that would indicate my child was in an uncomfortable environment. The lower elementary teachers are dedicated to fact based learning. We had two parent called meetings (consistent grading patterns and classroom control) that resulted in acceptable changes that were fair to both parties. We all enjoyed the opportunity to take the electives in 4th grade. She took ballet, drama and learned to play the Saxophone. Kudos to the elementary band teacher for teaching her how to put the sax together and then make wonderful music. The concerts throughout the year amazed us! Overall, we love the school, my daughter loves the school and if we ever return to the area we would certainly consider The Runnels School first. Great value for a great early elementary education. By the way, the on sight security guard at the gate provides more security to the campus.

The Runnels School 2

Posted May 01, 2015
As a small private school, Runnels has a small student-to-teacher ratio and it's relatively cheap compared with other private schools in Baton Rouge. However, over the years Runnels has declined in quality. The low tuition comes with several costs: many departments don't have a sufficient budget, the teachers are paid awfully, and thus there is a high teacher turnover rate. Additionally, many who stay are not required to be credited as they would in public schools, and they are inefficient teachers. The high school administration is a mess. The high school principal is also the student counselor, and no one goes to her for any help they would need. The office constantly slaps kids with lunch detentions for "not following procedures" and other bogus reasons, and then label some as troublemakers for small offenses. Being a small private school, there are not many fights or cases of drug abuse, but the office seems to be looking for trouble in the student body. Needless to say, the relationship between the administration and the student body is very strained; something that should not be the case in a small school like Runnels. As for diversity at Runnels, that's a complete joke.

Posted April 15, 2015
My children have attended Runnels for over ten years. The caring and kind environment has been truly a breathe of fresh air. I have many friends with children in both public and other private schools that struggle daily with both the level of education their children receive as well as the lack of administrative support. I have watched my children progress into confident, very well-rounded individuals and I am excited to watch them embrace their futures with the tools and knowledge that Runnels has provided for them. The Runnels family created a wonderful safe place for children to be themselves as well as receive an excellent education. That being said, I am also very excited about some of the new directions and improvements that the new administration is implementing! If you are looking for a school that will welcome you into it's family and provide your children with a top notch education, you must consider Runnels!

Posted April 14, 2015
My children have been at Runnels School for the last 10 years since they were 2 and 3 years old. We have had a great experience at every level from preschool through junior high. The school has a welcoming and accepting vibe that allows students to feel free to be their authentic selves.... something that we value as a family. Academically, my children are thriving and engaged. The school offers several honors options starting in 7th grade and a large number of AP options starting as early as 9th grade. They even allow students in the lower elementary to follow an advanced math track if they are capable, setting them on the path to AP Calculus classes in high school. A path like that requires vision which is just another reason to love Runnels School. I firmly believe that all the opportunities at every level have prepared my children for their future college choices and will make them quite competitive among those coming from peer institutions when they graduate. I just can't say enough good things about the school. We have been very happy and pleased with our experience there.

Posted April 14, 2015
Choosing a school that best fits the needs of your family can be challenging. The educational landscape in Baton Rouge is tough to navigate. I feel fortunate that my family has found a home at Runnels School. Runnels is truly a home. The school community from preschool to high school is welcoming, nurturing, and academically challenging. My boys have found a safe place to learn and grow, formed strong friendships, been encouraged creatively and found success in athletics. Overall, the education they receive is well rounded. My husband and I are beginning to see glimpses of the young men they are becoming and we value the mark that Runnels is leaving on them. My family will be forever grateful to Runnels School. If you are looking for a school that values the individual, Runnels is the place for you.

Posted April 13, 2015
My children have been at Runnels school since they were 2 and 4. They are now 14 and 16. I had no idea at the time that I not only found a great school but a great school family as well. The classes are small and happy. You will not find children walking in lines, being quiet or children that are afraid of their superiors. Instead, they are skipping to the next class, swinging around posts and giggling with their friend and their teachers. They are working in groups finding solutions to the math, science or (insert class here) problem of the day. You will find teachers working with students in the walkways during their off time because their student needed a little more time to learn a particular lesson or maybe just needed extra attention. The time they spent in drama class prepared my children to be great speakers in public. My daughter, at the age of 12, gave a speech in front of 12,000 people. My shy son found his confidence an his voice. This could not have happened without being on stage as young children. The education is hands on and top notch. We couldn't be happier.

Posted April 13, 2015
My children began their academic careers at the preschool campus at the age of two and continue to thrive at the S. Harrell's Ferry Campus. The Runnels school embraces, nurtures and encourages our young people every step of the way. Dr. and Mrs. Runnels created an excellent foundation for the school and it continues on with the new headmaster, Dr. Brandao. He's keeping the spirit of the school while working to improve and enhance our programs. Don't be fooled by those who say its just an arts school it is a rigorous college preparatory school rich in math and science coursework. The students score well above National and State averages on ACT. This year we have 2 National Merit Scholar Semifinalists. We love this school!

The Runnels School 1

Posted February 14, 2015
My child has had 3 teacher changes in one class in half a year. They have done away with the best teachers they had. I don't pay this kind of money for my son to be spoon fed a substandard education. If I wanted him to have a high school pedagogical experience, I would send him to public school. This school was superb when Dr and Mrs Runnels were still involved. Since the administration change, the students are unhappy, the best faculty are being fired or quitting, and the expectations are lowering.

The Runnels School 1

Posted February 04, 2015
Im a student at runnels and I DO NOT plan on returning here for the rest of high school, there are so many cliques. Every day I see someone crying or upset because someone is bullying them. The principal and guidance consoler are the *same* person, and in the end she doesn't help. The education is good until you reach 7th Grade, after that it seems as if none of the teachers care. As for the English department many people complain about it, but 9th grade English was the best class on campus, because the teacher seems to actually care about us. The teachers also spread more gossip than the students, which is saying a lot considering how much gossip is spread. If you lose something and its put in lost-found, then you are expected to pay to get your things back. The sport teams are okay but the only ones that are really good are Cross Country, track, Baseball, and boys basketball. If you are considering teaching here and want your kid to attend on free tuition DON'T DO IT!!! you will get paid even less than teachers without kids attending this school, which is already a terrible pay. Being a TK (teachers kid) I know, and I promise its bad. In the end I would not come to this school

Posted February 03, 2015
My child currently goes to the Runnels preschool, and I have been extremely impressed by the teachers, staff, and curriculum. Before starting the preschool, my son went to daycare, and I have been extremely happy with our transition from a "care center" into a school where my two year old is learning math, science, reading, arts, and more. After his first month, he had already started singing the alphabet, counting to 10, and using the potty. Now after 5 months in the pre-school he is so excited about school and learning. The great thing about Runnels, is that it is not just about the learning. The teachers are caring, and the environment is like a family. There are always wonderful events throughout the year, and I couldn't be happier with our choice.

The Runnels School