Baton Rouge, LA
Students enrolled: 1,320

Posted August 08, 2014
I went to Woodlawn for all four years of high school, and I just graduated in 2014. I can genuinely say that the school got worse and worse as the years went on. The staff is more concerned with students being in proper dress code opposed to focusing their attention on things that really matter, such as academics. I'm not bashing Woodlawn's academics, because it does have a wide variety of electives and AP classes, as well as gifted and great scholars classes, and I feel that the school excels with that. Many of the staff can be very biased towards athletes as well; for example, an athlete wearing an incorrect sweatshirt would not be disciplined while a regular student would be. This was particularly present in my senior year, and everyone talked about how unfair they were to us regular students. The school has an obvious double standard, and if you don't play sports you really feel like you don't matter. Aside from that, the good always have to suffer for the bad. Events will be cancelled because select few don't know how to act right, and it really ruins the high school experience. Woodlawn has gone downhill, and I'm sure it'll keep deteriorating.

Woodlawn High School 4

Posted January 05, 2014
I currently go to Woodlawn High and this year has been a lot better,then the past years.i have been at this school.We have had,this year, a lot more of opportunity,to do thing within the school.The adminstration is really trying this year,to make the school the best it can be.The only negative thing about the school,would be how some of the kids at the school are disrespectful.An,as a school we can work on respect,in and out of school.Other,then that everything it really great this year.

Woodlawn High School 3

Posted May 17, 2013
Woodlawn High School has a new principal this year and there has been a bit of staff turn over. I have a child in Gifted and one in "General Population". The Gifted children get a superior education. There are TONS of programs (more than Baton Rouge High) and the teachers are great. The General Population kids get bo-diddly squat. Some of the teachers are good but when you are fighting apathetic parents, an ineffective district administration and inane expectations regarding being rated on how well your students pass the tests, well ... there is bound to be an aura of despair and "just get the kid through here". That said, I have high hopes that the new principal will change things up for the better. If you are thinking of moving to the BR area and believe the hype that Ascension schools are better - that is false. We attended Ascension schools - primary, middle, and high - and they were far worse than the Woodlawn trio.

Woodlawn High School 5

Posted January 13, 2013
nicer building and good teachers, all the stuff is trying to make the school better

Woodlawn High School 5

Posted October 12, 2010

Woodlawn High School 1

Posted May 19, 2010
This school is all about the dress code, even down to requiring students to purchase their in-house, poorly made and overpriced $15 polo shirts. Unlike the rest of the parish high schools, which require a simple shirt with a collar and plain khaki's, Woodlawn restricts the children to khaki's with EXACTLY FOUR REGULAR POCKETS only, and the aforementioned $15 polo shirt. The staff is rude, and will not return telephone calls. The school is subjected to seemingly constant lockdowns, and the school cannot even send out a timely report card. Pathetic. I am glad my child only has one more year, but wish I had not moved from Ascension Parish this past year and instead, waited until she graduated high school. If you can, send your child elsewhere, preferably somewhere in Ascension or Livingston Parishes where the concentration is on education and not an overly strict dress code.

Woodlawn High School 4

Posted May 02, 2010
Pros- The school is great. I am a senior and about to graduate. I love this school. I gave my heart to this school. With so many new programs and so many new teachers. This is becoming a lead school in East Baton Rouge. Woodlawn was and is the only school in East Baton Rouge to have U.S. First Robotics club. We place 19th out of 32 team while being the top 2 rookie team. Woodlawn students also visited Atlanta for the Model United Nation at Emroy University. Woodlawn also have Great Scholars and Gifted and Talented program. We are also working on having an International Day. Cons- Students are not encouraged enough to participate in activities. I tried two years to have an International Day but my ideas were rejected and ignored. The administrators act like little children.

Posted October 07, 2009
Being a parent of a 16 yr old son, I am very involed in whats going on, his teachers & his classes. It's hard keeping a child interested in school when you feel like the teachers don't want to be bothered, staff is very rude and not prone to listening. It has gotten even worse with the extra kids they have taken on from Lee High. I think having a beautiful school is a waste if your heart isn't in teaching the students. My son was sent to TOR because his uniform shirt became un-tucked while he was sitting. when I called the school to inquire, the Asst Principle sent him back to class only for the same teacher to refuse to give him class materials. When he got the assigned lesson from another kid, she refused to take it.

Posted June 21, 2009
I have to agree with the previous (poor) comments about the staff and teachers. The building is beautiful but my son would learn more if (1) the teacher's actually cared and (2) they gave the students the materials that the school can afford! my son was an honor student (straight A's) through K-5th. During 6-(going into 8th now) he's been just about failing with a below C average. I have contacted every one of his teachers every month the first two years. Every teacher had said that they would comply with my requests (such as keeping their online websites up-to-date with posted assignments. One teacher, the worst, still had her assignments from october posted when it was april. No phone calls are returned promptly. I've requested to have my son taken out of the gifted classes & they refused! Attitudes are horrible. Ms Brown is the only one who cares.

Posted May 13, 2008
Dispite the fact that I do like some of the teachers, the front office and administration at this school are some of the rudest people I have ever encountered in my life. I personally have also had problems with them not communicating my sons progress with me, but if you initiate conversation with the teachers they will keep you informed. They suspend for the smallest infraction which they want to keep the kids in line, but I think it's so much that it affects their learning. There is also the TOR - Time out room that kids are sent to for being tardy or acting out - This room is also used excessively.

Woodlawn High School
15755 Jefferson Highway, Baton Rouge, LA  70817
Last modified Woodlawn High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodlawn High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top