Hammond, LA
Students enrolled: 1,185

Hammond High Magnet School 4

Posted May 14, 2010
please send more information about this school i am from class 1966 and want to get in touch with other ex-students

Hammond High Magnet School 4

Posted January 09, 2009
I graduated from Hammond High and I feel that compared to other schools in the parish, HHS is a great school. There are too many activities to take part in and too many great teachers to get a well rounded education. You get to associate with people of all nationalities which prepares you socially for the real world. Yes, for an extremely intelligent student, you may feel as though you aren't learning anything, as I did. But, I feel like I learned more to help me throughout my life rather than just college. I feel HHS prepared me well for college.

Posted July 09, 2008
I graduated as Valedictorian of my class. I took all honors classes and was in the Southeastern Scholars Program (Dual Enrollment). Hammond High is an okay school if you plan on attending vo-tech school. If you plan on attending LSU, Tulane University or any other university DON'T GO TO HAMMOND HIGH. THEY WILL PREPARE YOU TO FAIL. Check your facts on Hammond High. Ask them: How many National Merit Scholars graduate pre year? (A really good school has at least 10 National Merit Scholars) How many AP courses do they offer? (The more the better. These courses will save lots of time in college.) How early does SAT, ACT, and PSAT prep begin? (Prep should begin Freshman or Sophmore year. No Later. The younger your child starts the better they will score. Don't let Hammond High tell you 'the spring of their Junior year.' This time should be used finding a college.)

Posted May 28, 2008
My children graduated from here and Have had no trouble in college. They say they have seen nothing that they weren't prepared for ay Hammond High

Posted December 17, 2007
I wasnt impressed with this school. I graduated with honors and didnt learn a thing. Passing was effortless for one of average intelligence and poor study habits. I found myself skating through the years without ever having to try. Multiple choice testing and lifeless lectures are not 'teaching' our children anything more than memorization.

Posted April 28, 2007
I attended Hammond High, and it was an excellent school. The college prep courses are only open to students who have made a C or above in the previous course. The English department is excellent. I was well prepared for college after attending Hammond High.

Hammond High Magnet School 2

Posted August 11, 2006
1) Dress code is absurdly strict, as another person said. Who cares how dark the navyblue jacket is? 2) The honors courses have NO REQUIREMENTS. Someone can get straight Fs and still stay in, slowing down people who actually want to learn. 3) There is a bare minimum of courses, and very few electives.

Posted July 08, 2006
Hammond High is an excellent school. The quality of instruction that my three children have received (two have graduated) is unsurpassed in the Hammond area. The two older ones have been extremely well-prepared for college. As a public high school, HHS provides for students at all levels, from special education to college preparatory. HHS also provides the opportunity to participate in all sports and a wide range of extracurricular activities. Any student can find his niche at HHS. One important thing about HHS is that students learn tolerance and how to get along with all types of people, which certainly serves them well in college and the world of work. Any parent who has doubts about HHS should check it out, rather than listening to those who have an agenda. The school offers tours to prospective students and their parents.

Hammond High Magnet School 3

Posted February 25, 2005
Hammond High's one major problem is discipline. discipline runs the entire learning environment into the ground. Students are constantly hastled about ID cards, tucking in shirts, belts, ect. The dress code of TPSS is probrably the ruination of the entire school district. We wonder why our kids are scoring low on LEAP and IOWA tests, but how do you expect a kid to learn when all they can focus on is dress code. Other rules as well are out of control. I was told by a student that the Zero Tolerance policy was dropped, and now all fights result in expulsion. However, I was also told there were more fights this year than last year...go figure.

Hammond High Magnet School 2

Posted January 15, 2005
I attend Hammond High and i dont think it is a very great school. They have extracurricular activities but not enough. I want to be a nurse when i finish high school but im not getting no help because there is no nursing class i can take to get me started.

45168 River Road, Hammond, LA  70401
Last modified Hammond High Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hammond High Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top