West Jefferson High School

Public | 9-12 | 1209 students

Posted May 18, 2014

I was a teacher in that school last year. The principal fakes grades to graduate students who did not complete their credits requirements. I provided documents showing changes of grades to the school board and to the superintendent. Nothing happened. The business as usual. The students graduate at a level well below 12th grade.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 12, 2009

hate it,,,,, i am truly disappointed in this school. My child cannot bring books home, because they only have classroom sets. But I would really love to know how much it costed to returf that football stadium. My child has repeatedly asked me why they have enough money for the athletic departments, but not enough to make sure every student has textbooks to bring home (to study or do homework). We teach our children that education is # 1, but the schools are not. Schools can say what they want, but children learn by example. What are they learning when they see a brand new football stadium, but not enough books to go around. From a concerned parent

Posted September 17, 2008

I love West Jeff I went there last year n this summer I moved but I am coming back n cannot wait to see all the great teachers n students

Posted May 13, 2008

from the first day i set foot in the halls i fell in love with Jeff and that will never change imma Buc for life

Posted March 31, 2008

I am truly disappointed in this school. My child cannot bring books home, because they only have CLASSROOM SETS. But I would really love to know how much it costed to returf that football stadium. My child has repeatedly asked me why they have enough money for the athletic departments, but not enough to make sure every student has textbooks to bring home (to study or do homework). We teach our children that education is # 1, but the schools are not. Schools can say what they want, but children learn by example. What are they learning when they see a brand new football stadium, but not enough books to go around. From a concerned parent

Posted February 20, 2008

Wonderful Principal and Staff. I was kind of worried for my daughter to attend this school. As it turned out, my daughter had the best time of her life in her 3 years at WJHS!

Posted January 22, 2007

I am not a parent. I graduated in the year 2002. I went to high school there for three years. The princpal at that time was great. The teachers would work with you whenever you needed the extra mile. ROTC was a great program and I loved it. Extracurricular activities were awesome. The best year was my senior year. It went by so fast. West Jefferson always will be in my heart. I no longer live in New Orleans but when I come visit I will make that extra stop.

Posted April 19, 2006

I attended West Jefferson High School in my sophmore and Junior year. I was a cheerleader and loved cheering for our team. Because of Kathrina I am getting my diploma in San Antonio Texas. I am graduating with a 3.59 and I contribute most of my accomplishment to the teachers at West Jefferson High School. Especially Ms. McLendon my English teacher who told me never to give up. I am currently taking Pre-Cal.thanks to Mr. Falcon and AP English and AP Physic thanks to Ms. Woods. I will always be a BUC at heart. Our principal at West Jeff, Mr. Geer, is the best. Lots of Love, Erica Folino

Posted December 3, 2005

I currently attend WJ, since after the storm my school was closed. This school has completely made me feel welcomed.I am now in ROTC ehich is a rewarding experience. I appreciate the teachers and all other staff members. They are doing a great job, and im proud to be a Buc!

Posted October 24, 2005

Im not a parent but I attend WJ before katina. I enjoy the two years i was there.Its a wonderful school to attend.

Posted October 13, 2005

I'm not a parent.I attended West Jefferson High for 11th grade and was on the cheerleading team. It is a wonderful and the best I've ever attended. The football team, cheerleaders, dance team, band, and every other organization there are at Jeff are the best. The principal Mr. Geer and the whole staff are the best at what they do. I left Jeff because of hurricane Katrina and now reside in Richmond. I miss Jeff with all my heart and will always be a red and white Buccaneer at heart. Love you all and miss you all very much. Sincerely, Renelle. Class of 2006. Bucs!

Posted September 14, 2005

I am a student there now. I got to say I've fallen 'in love' with West Jeff & all the people there. I love the ROTC prgram. It's just like the best program anyone can ask for. Especially, since our ROTC is #1 AGAIN!! yay. I Love West Jeff.

Posted September 7, 2005

West jefferson is a wonderful school. I feel that it has great teachers that will just help you in any way you need it. We have an excellent principal. It's a great school that is often under-rated!! There are a lot of smart students there, and a great staff

Posted June 16, 2005

I'm not a parent, Class 2002 graduate. West Jefferson is a wonderful school to send a teenager. Some of the teachers their are willing to go that extra step with the students in helping them suceed thier goals. I'm currently in college doing just find. I think West Jeff teachers prepare me just find to make it throught college. If the students want help and want to be there and are willing to help themselves also West Jeff will fit them fine.

Posted May 23, 2005

I am a 2000 graduate of West Jeff. I think West Jeff is the right school for certain students. If you actually like school and want to be there, then it is a good school. There is a definite disciplinary problem. West Jeff did not prepare me for college compared to students from other areas of Louisiana. Sometimes I knew more and sometimes I had no clue about what the professor was talking about. As far as extracurricular activities, there are ample opportunities if you look for them. Parental involvement? What's that? There is none.

Posted March 15, 2005

West Jefferson has much to offer and most of the teachers and most of the administrators do all they can to help each child suceed. But, each person has to want it for themselves also.

Posted December 2, 2004

This school is one of the best schools. It has many oppurtunities for all students. Some of my fellow students say its a jail but I think its a well run public school. The only problem is that some days there are fights, but there are less here than anywhere ive been. So if you ask me its the one and only high school that counts.

Posted August 3, 2004

West Jefferson is a school within a school. The honors program provided to advanced students offers the best in education and the ROTC program is beyond compare. Students have access to an endless list of opportunities. In other classrooms, teachers struggle to maintain composure while faced with continuous disruption. Students who have a genuine interest in learning are often made to suffer by those who don't. In any less than advanced classroom, education revolves solely around standardized testing. However, that's the case in any public school in Jefferson parish.

Posted June 30, 2004

I'm not a parent - I'm an alumnus. I loved this school. The large size made it possible for there to be a variety of programs for students with different interests, such as myself. The teachers were accessible and friendly and genuinely cared. As with any school in a metropolitan area, especially a school with over 1500 students, there were occasional problems. The special thing about WJ is the way problems were handled - quickly, fairly and sensitively. If I still lived nearby, I would like to go back as a teacher and I would send my own children there.

Posted May 22, 2004

It is an overall good school but what makes it better is the ROTC program there. The students learn much from it and some consider it as a second home.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

387 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

385 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

• Jacqueline Ducros
Fax number
  • (504) 368-0535

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now