Lafayette, LA

Posted June 01, 2015
My son just finished second grade at Woodvale. My daughter will be entering in the fall in kindergarten while my son continues to third grade. My experiences have been quite positive. Initially, my wife and I did not like the kindergarten teacher my son "drew," but a quick consultation with the principal got him into a different class. There he thrived and, when he moved on to gifted classes, he has thrived as well. I have high hopes for my daughter. The only downside about Woodvale that I've seen is that staffing for classes sometimes appears to hang on district decisions about funding. That gets in the way of planning. The facility is adequate but could be improved. The faculty appear largely to enjoy what they do and to be quite competent. While some other reviews focused on problems with the principal that has not been my experience. In sum, Woodvale seems a very well run school overall. I have not regretted having my children there and often extol its virtues to other parents.

Woodvale Elementary School 3

Posted April 08, 2015
The discipline program at Woodvale creates a military school atmosphere. Children are expected to be silent through most of their day, which is abnormal and unhealthy. Teachers are constantly policing children's every move to the point that it is stifling. Though my child has been fortunate enough to be assigned to good teachers who are mostly kind and respectful to their students, I have witnessed SEVERAL teachers yelling and being sarcastic, condescending and intimidating to their students on a regular basis. The principal presents a cold and unapproachable persona. The music teacher is so impatient and critical that my child, who loves music and school in general, dreads music class. Overall, I have been disappointed with our experience at Woodvale because we expected much more from a school with a reputation as one of the best schools in Lafayette. Sadly, based on the experience of other students and parents at other schools, the school culture at Woodvale is par for the elementary schools in Lafayette Parish, which is why I gave it an Average rating.

Posted May 11, 2012
This school puts an emphasis on reading and makes learning pleasant and comfortable. The rewards system is fair and motivating. The teachers are committed and put in more time than they are required. They do their jobs because when my children come home with assignments...its hardly work because they know their stuff! Communication with the teachers comes with great ease for me. I have two little ones going there and not one complaint. If anyone has a complaint the problem is more than likely the parent and not the school!

Posted March 04, 2012
Awesome teachers, awesome auxillarry staff, awesome kids, very involved parents! We love the music program!

Woodvale Elementary School 2

Posted August 04, 2011
The office staff can be rude and unprofessional. There are some good teachers there. However, not all of the teachers give a good representation of the so positively highly rated school. The principal appears to be kind, welcoming and caring, but she is the complete opposite. Be aware!

Woodvale Elementary School 1

Posted September 11, 2010
As a parent of a child at woodvale you hear you can't see your child in class because we " protect the teachers instructional time" The school is not open and loving like you are saying. I have children in two other schools in the parish and woodvale is be far the worst with wanting parents on campus and involved. That comes from the top Ms. Sanklin who is there only for one reason and it is not because she is the best pricipal

Woodvale Elementary School

Posted May 20, 2010
The teachers treat the kids as intelligent adults in the making. Still fun for them without talking down to them, they are letting the minds expand without pre-programming them to think a certain way. If only all elementary schools thought so highly of their students...

Posted May 16, 2010
I have taught at several schools in my teaching career, and Woodvale is by far the BEST school in town. The climate is very loving and nurturing. Everything we do is in the interest of the children. I see many parents don't like PBS on this site, but why don't you come by and see it in action. I assure you - none of our students get random infractions for no good reason. They are definitely NOT afraid to tie their shoes. This is just not accurate. If you would have seen the school climate before and after this was implemented, you would be astonished. I only have two students in my class who ever even got an infraction this year. We warn and re-teach expectations daily. It truly is a positive thing. BTW, we give "eagle wings" and not candy for good behavior daily.

Posted May 16, 2010
The students are amazing and the teachers are top notch.

Posted May 16, 2010
Awesome teachers, awesome auxillarry staff, awesome kids, very involved parents!! It's ALL good!

Woodvale Elementary School
100 Leon Drive, Lafayette, LA  70503
Last modified Woodvale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodvale Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top