Alice M.Birney Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 664 students

Posted March 12, 2013

Let's start off by saying that I DO NOT want to rate ths school w/1 star. The school has some serious problems that need to be addressed. Just bringing in a new principal is not going to help. The entire staff needs to be revamped. The school is definitely overcrowded to the point that students are sharing desk in class. I sent my son here due to his special needs. He barely goes due to the fact that so many students are in there that he cannot get the instruction that he is requiring. So, what do they do to compensate? They send an aide in his classroom. This is not what I signed for at the end of last year. They changed all of this w/o my consent or knowledge. Lack of communication is a major problem. Teachers are not responded to letters and/or e-mails either in a timely fashion or at all. I have one teacher who refuses to speak w/me at all. Now, how is this helping my child? It's not! I would highly discourage anyone from placing their child here. I'm counting down the days 'til school is over.

Posted December 13, 2012

To the parent saying this school deserves no stars - that is absolutely ridiculous!!! My son went to this school for 5 years and I have twin daughters, one is special education receiving lots of therapy and assistance, are just finishing their 6th year there. I have nothing but RAVE comments on this school. I recommend everyone moves into this school district. I've never seen more loving and caring teachers that go above and beyond to see each and EVERY student succeed!! As for bullying - my daughter was bullied and they have ZERO tolerance there!!! The office staff was appaulled and it was handled immediately!! The teachers are the absolute best, the office staff are top notch, the extra curriculars are unbelievable!! My children are in band, and the band teacher dedicates 15+hrs a week UNPAID personal time to rehearse with her students. I can not say enough good things about this school. The ONLY bad thing about Alice Birney Elementary is that after this year, none of my children will be there anymore because they're moving on to middle school. Losing AB teachers and staff is like losing a loved one, they'll be missed!!!

Posted December 6, 2012

If I could give this school no stars I absolutely would! Never enroll your child here if you can help it. The teacher's do not care about their students and definitely do not try to solve problems between other students. They support bullying and they are just as big of a bully as many of their students are.. They give behavior reports for just about anything!! My nephew received one recently just because he asked to use the restroom. How sad and ridiculous is that? That's not the first one he received for something dumb and I'm sure not the last. My other nephew has gotten in trouble for minor issues as well. If it was up to me this school would be closed down! So if you're looking for your children to be bullied and not helped, this is the place to be. I rate this school a negative x's 10.

Posted January 20, 2012

my son in special education and he is realy behaind in this school they always forgot to send his homework and they dont work with him

Posted October 19, 2010

My son is in the Pre-k Program at Alice Birney. I also agree that bullying is a "HUGE" problem at this school. My son come home everyday and tells me that the other kids have pushed him down, hit him in the head or bit him on the arm. One of the kids actually picked up a bug and put it on his head. My son told me that the kids are mean and that he is scared of them. I told my son to inform the teacher every time someone is bullying him, assuming she would resolve the problem. Nothing happened my son told me that all the teacher say is "OH...so and so is just having a bad day today. Just because a kid is having a bad day doesn't give them the right to go around bullying the other kids. My son will not be returning next school year.

Posted April 29, 2010

My daughter is going in kindergarten of Ms. Carrone class. She is doing very good. She is capable of solving first grade problems. They are doing really good. A good combination of discipline and education is in this school.

Posted November 30, 2009

The school has a very low professionalism staff and front office staff are very unethical and rude. The staff need to practice and update their anti-discrimatory policy. The communication toward the parent and children was very offensive....The OCR needs to evaluate the school for racial harrassment......Horrible Experience..........

Posted January 31, 2007

This is my child's first year at Birney. The school is a safe place because the Principal enforces the rules. They have strict rules on conduct, parking, and even what street you can drive/park on around the school. These strict rules are for the parents and the students and this keeps our children safe. The principal encourages and wants parents help and involvement. Very happy, highly recommended.

Posted June 3, 2006

My child just completed her first year of school at Birney. The administration and faculty worked with us to place her in a level appropriate for her gifted ability, unlike the private preschool that we previously attended. Although many students did not return after the hurricane, parental involvement is at a very high level and is encouraged by the staff. Grounds are nice in spite of obvious hurricane damage to trees - new ones have been planted. Playground equipment is currently out of commission. I highly recommend Birney for its wonderful, caring staff and great learning environment.

Posted December 20, 2005

Mr.Skorlich left a vacuum difficult of fill. However difficult, I think the new principal is trying and we can only wish her the best. I had to pull my kids to the new magnet schools which seem to promise a more challenging curriculum.

Posted September 18, 2005

I also diagree with the previous statements I have had no problems with the new principal and have had a few conversations with her and one of them was during the summer while she was getting ready to get off but had no problem staying to answer my question about my daughters status for the next school year. She has also helped me with finding out the best time for my daughter to have her surgery without missing any of the Spring activities that the kids really wouldn't want to miss out on. The teachers are very nice and helpful. My daughter actually had more homework at her old school then she has ever had at Birney. My daughter loves it there so much that she can't wait to go back there after it reopens from the hurricane even though she also likes the school she is presently attending until then.

Posted July 27, 2005

I also disagree with the previous responders opinions on safety and leadership. I have found the current principle very approachable and have had several wonderful conversations with her. My son just completed his first year at Birney and I was VERY impressed with the teacher he had. She was so willing to work with us on every little issue we had. I always attended private schools so I was leary of sending my own children to a public school but I must say I'm much more impressed with my son's current education that I ever was with my own.

Posted April 6, 2005

I could not disagree more with the previous comments on safety and bullying. My son transferred to Alice Birney from a 'private' school at which he routinely had issues with other students and very little if anything reasonable was ever done. At Alice Birney we have seen very strict enforcement of bullying rules and conduct issues. As far as the drop off, please, that is each parents responsibility. I have nothing but praise for the principal and teachers. There is a good bit of homework, but public schools must get students ready for LEAP, unlike private schools. My son had to play catch up with his peers when he transferred from private to public school! I find the teachers responsive, approachable and overall of excellent quality. BTW I'm not affiliated or related to anyone at Alice Birney, just pleased. - The grass is not greener, it s just more expensive.

Posted March 8, 2005

I have had one child in Birney for five years now and another for two and I have to agree with the safety issue! Safety of our children has totally vanished since Mr. Skorlich's departure. Bullying is rampid and teachers don't seem concerned with this issue or child safety in the car pool lane! And I do plan to remove my last child from the school starting with the 2005-2006 school year!

Posted January 31, 2005

I have to agree with one of the previous responders. Until this year, we have been incredibly pleased with Alice Birney. However, Mr. Scorlich's departure is very evident. The new leadership does not have nearly as strong of an emphasis on safety. We, for the first time, are experiencing bullying, and we are considering pulling our children out. Structure and discipline do not seem to be as fundamental to the school as they have been in the past. The teaching staff, on the other hand, has been nothing but stellar as have the parents who volunteer their services. All in all, Birney is a terrific school, but I'd like to see the leadership get tougher on enforcing the rules.

Posted January 6, 2005

We are now in our third year at Alice Birney, and this year I am really disappointed with the school and the new principal. She is totally unapproachable, my child feels as though the principal does not care about the students. The teachers this year, while nice, are very demanding and demeaning(no praise is given when done well). My second grader has nearly 2 hours of homework a night, and this is for a child who does not struggle and has parental help at home. We loved our frist two years at Birney, but are now considering with drawing our child after this school year. My child has gone from eager to go to school to fighting every morning about going. It amazes me how much has changed with the new leadership and not for the better. This whole year has made me very sad and disappointed.

Posted January 2, 2005

Our son is in his fourth year at Birney, he has achieved student of the month 4 times and is an honor roll student. We feel that the teaching staff is top notch and look out for our son's best interests. We look forward to sending our second son to Birney in the Fall. Birney has an absolute zero tolerance for bullying and make kids part of the school 'community' where everyone feels they belong. We feel not only is our child getting a superior education, but that he is safe there. One more thing, the teachers have a folder sent home daily with everything we need to know to be kept informed and how to help our child. Neil & Liz Howard

Posted October 20, 2004

We are in our fourth year at Alice Birney and both of my children love it! They're challenged and motivated academically every day. The standards are set high and the teachers are eager to help. This is by far one of the best public schools around.

Posted March 7, 2004

I currently have three students at Alice Birney and am very pleased with both their social and academic progress. I feel that the administration does everything in it's power to achieve academic excellence and safety for all children.

Posted July 23, 2003

I have older children, that attented Catholic schools through 12th grade. I have found that when I visited Alice Birney that this school was conducted closest to a private school with the resources of a public school. Having the best of both worlds. I feel that the school succeeds with the help of the dedicated parents who feel the same as I do.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 77%N/A67%

• Tiffani Lebouef
Fax number
  • (504) 888-3314

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now