D.C. Reeves Elementary School

Public | 3-4 | 629 students

Posted April 19, 2012

D.C. Reeves is a place where students have the opportunity to become lifelong learners and productive citizens. Learning takes teamwork. Join the team, play hard, and finish strong! No excuses.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 14, 2011

This is my children's first year in a school in Tangipahoa parish. I have one at DC Reeves and one at Martha Vineyard. I thought coming from the city the schools would be much better out here. However, DC Reeves is not! I have been dissatisfied with this school from day one. It was so hot when we attended open house that my husband had to leave the room from sweating so much. Then I find out they have a 10 minute recess. How can they expect kids to be quiet in class and the cafeteria when they are not given the ample amount of time to release some of their energy. Then today I go drop off my daughter and find out they are not allowed to have chap stick at school.....her poor little lips were so chap and from licking them from being chapped she made a soar under her lip. I was sending her the chap stick so she would quit licking her lips and making it worse. I was told by the vice-principle they were not allowed to have it according to the nurse's rules. That has to be one of the craziest things I have ever heard of!!! Then I was told I would have to go to school and apply to her myself. This is not a school I would recommend! If I had a choice my child wouldn't be there!

Posted February 25, 2011

This school has caused nothing but heartache to my family. I am extremely unhappy with the office faculty temporarily in charge, not to mention the utter lack of positve feedback for the students. It seems like they only direct negative attention to what they see as a problem child, which to them is any child that speaks! Don't dare address a problem or you will be verbally attacked, and your child or children will wear a target on there back! It's sad but true this school does not have the students best intrest in mind. I wish I had more options when it came to choosing the best school for my child.

Posted October 6, 2010

I LOVE D.C. Reeves Elementary School because the faculty and staff are dedicated to educationing all students. Though all students do not progress at the same rate, the teachers at Reeves work effortlessly to help students achieve a satisfactory level of academic success. The students are the most important people at the school and the parents are welcomed to become partners and totally involved in their child's educational process.

Posted May 4, 2010

My daughter is in 3rd grade at DC Reeves. She absolutely loves her teacher(s). I had a few concerns with the way things were going in the class room when my childs teacher was on leave. I spoke to the Principal and she took care of it. I was reassured that they were doing theyre best and not to worry! Thanks a Bunch for taking care of my daughter!

Posted April 24, 2010

The principal is wonderful and understanding. The librarian runs 4-H and really makes the children feel special. You can tell that the teacher love their job. The teachers are always happy and nurturing!

Posted September 17, 2009

DC Reeves REALLY CARES about the WHOLE child and not just one aspect of his/her talent. Excellent teachers in a first class facility !!! The students are well prepared for the future.

Posted September 17, 2009

They've always been very helpful with my son. He's in an Inclusion class and the teachers & school management have been very helpful every step of the way.

Posted July 31, 2009

I have seen all the teachers here strive to be the best in their teaching methods. I would definitely send my own child here, and it is one of the best schools in the parish. Discipline is strict, but that provides for less disruptions and more learning going on. If your child is a disruption, be prepared for action to be taken. I gave it only four stars because I'm comparing this school to all schools, including private. You have to keep in mind that at any public school, your child will be subjected to some 'families' that you may not find acceptable. Overall, these types of families are the minority in this school district, but in comparison to private schools, it is a slightly lower status. We just got a new principal in January, and she is wonderful. She's very approachable and experienced.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 25, 2007

As a parent of a special needs child, I was pleased with the help and interest my son received from the staff during his third grade year. However; as his emotional needs and behavior became more intense the teachers and principal seemed much less helpful and less accessible. The homebound program was totally uncoordinated with the school teachers. The child basically lost the first half of the year because of miscommunication between the school and homebound program teacher. This was precious educational time for a fourth grader. Luckily he was accepted into a special program called Evolutions that is affiliated with the Baton Rouge school district. He has shown much improvement in behavior and completion of school assignments.

Posted June 14, 2006

I have a child with Autism that attends DC Reeves- I could not be happier with this school - They have bent over backwards to make sure my son is comfortable and getting every resource available to him - This is a great school-

Posted August 9, 2005

My experience at DC Reeves has been a pleasant one with regards to the office staff, teachers, and principals. I do see some room for improvement when it comes to subs. as many are qualified on paper but not the 'child friendly' people they need to be. In my experience, you must get involved and if needed stay involved and on top of things, this may require some time, but aren't our children worth it? If there is a problem address it and if need be address it again. My child was diagnosed with a back tumor and during this very, very difficult time the staff worked with me and my child, as well as my family to see to it his educational needs were met as well as his comfort at school. Again it is very important to get to know the people who are getting to know your children.

Posted October 19, 2004

More consideration for how student feel and what they have to say would be a great help. I understand administration must back up teachers and subs but on occasion they can be wrong. Yelling at students for a sub or teachers error is no way to handle a problem. When treated this way, students this yound, tend to close up and decide school is not a place to find help only a place of unjust dicipline. For the most part this is a good school and students enjoy it however, more understanding and communication would be a great help. FYI - my 3 children are honor roll students and do not have problems in school.

Posted July 28, 2004

D.C. Reeves as a whole is a pretty good school. I did not have any problems with teachers I found them to be caring and helpful. However the leadership in this school leaves very much to be desired! She is very hard to talk to and not only with the parents but the students as well. Which I consider a real shame. The students should feel you will be there if there is a problem. They should not be made to feel like a inconvienance. Get better leadership in this school and I think the teachers would even be happier I know a few students who would be!

Posted July 2, 2004

In the past, this school was average when my older children were there. The school lost many good teachers because of the leadership. I have been in a different state for several years and enrolled my child again. The office staff was very nice and helpful. My meeting with this Principal was not. She was not friendly, and even try to act interested in my concerns about the change my child would face coming to her school. She didn't even try to show that she would help with any problems. I sure wish D.C Reeves would get a good caring person to lead and work with our children and teachers for a change. Tucker made a great improvement with Mr. Williams and Martha Vinyard has a one that will at least talk with you and make you feel she cares. Come on, show some feeling in your leadership DC Reeves Principle!

Grade level

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

• May Stilley
Fax number
  • (985) 386-9620

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now