Prairieville Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted August 1, 2014

I am a student here going to 8th grade all you haters need to shut up this is an awesome school sure the look isn't great and the teachers are strict but progress is always made with students and many students excel in school because of this school. The teachers are great and really involve themselves with the students and any new kids coming to this school will be perfectly fine and so far there are no bullies that I have seen.

Posted May 23, 2014

I wish you were there for 8th grade award night. I have two children that graduated and with over 300 students, over half of them scored Mastery and Advanced on their leap and benchmark testing. Listening to them call out so many students that made perfect scores in Math, Science, ELA and History, I was really crying. I was amazed at how much these students accomplished. I was so grateful that my children were apart of this school. My daughter graduated with a 3.5 for the year and my son a 3.1. Yes the school WAS old and run down. It was the segregated school that the black children attended but the new school is being built and will actually open the fall of 2014 (which is AWESOME btw). The teachers are a bt hard and school rules are a bit strict but the cost at the end of the year is totally what it is all about. There is no denying that this school is one of the best inAscension parish as it has scored an A or above every year for the past seven years or so. Do not judge this school by what it once looked like or by what a few students think. No child really wants to be pushed or challenged but it made for the besets results. I have been totally amazed with PVM...

Posted May 22, 2014

I'm getting ready to enter the 8th grade here and it will he my first year here. I'm moving to prairieville from a small town in Missouri and I'm an honor student. I'm honestly horrified about uniforms, and horrified because of the recent reviews. I'm a bubbly outgoing girl, but I don't know how well I'm going to do at this school from reading reviews. Is dutchtown middle any better?

Posted February 16, 2014

This school looks like and is run like a juvenile delinquent penitentiary. The children are not provided ANY respect by the Teachers or admin. They are blocked from any normal progressing socialization and therefore socially inept. The Teachers seem more concerned about an extremely strict uniform policy than academics. The Teachers lack any creativity in the classroom, threaten homework as punishment, do not lead by example and quite frankly are BULLIES! The frequency of testing (too frequent) disrupts any true learning process, The Teachers openly complain about the "re-testing" process, and don't seem to see that as a reflection of poor teaching initially. The children are allowed to "buy up" a test score with Pride Points which are unfairly distributed in the first place.

Posted May 17, 2013

Where to start? The old buildings lacking basic technology (and even air conditioning that doesn't drip on? That will be changed with the new school so what about the horrifically rude and demeaning staff? The excessively long bus rides? The horrible roads to get to the school? The inattentive and ineffective administration? The apathetic teachers? We went here for one year with kids in all three grades and it was a nightmare. They asked my children to raise his school approved hoodie to be sure his shirt was tucked in underneath and that he had on a belt. They also asked my children to lift the leg of their pants to be sure their socks were the correct kind. It didn't help that we were Yankees. The schools in Louisiana are all bad (even the famous Baton Rouge High) but our worse experience by far was in Ascension Parish. Unless you are 9th generation Cajun I would stay far away from Ascension Parish and go to the slightly more accommodating south EBR schools. (Emphasis on the south part of EBR. We've had good experiences with all the Woodlawn - elementary through high school).

Posted December 7, 2012

I am a student at Prarieville Middle. I moved here last year and was horrified by the setup there. On my first day I was given a schedule 30 minutes after school had started. I did not have a map or anyone to help me. The teachers are mostly good, but the technology teacher in particular is awful. The administration is horrible, and the school once got on the news for needing repairs. I would like to refute the previous reviewer about the Gifted teacher, however. She is one of the best teachers I have ever had. The one good things about this school is the rewards- I received an $80 amusement park pass for getting good scores on iLEAP. Overall, this is a bad school with horrible administration that is getting by on good teachers and test scores.

Posted November 12, 2012

I am a student at Prairieville Middle and I would say it is a sad excuse for a school. I am not challenged at this school. I am in Talented and Gifted and my teacher is not even as intelligent as her students. Some teachers are mean and unreasonable. One teacher requires students to call their parents in the middle of class to tell them that they did not do their homework. However, some teachers are extraordinary at what they do. The school is drastically in need of a remodeling. The work they are doing is not being done on time. Some of the students have a very bad attitude and some are already juvenile delinquents. The principal and administration have a bad attitude and treat the students more like prisoners in juvenile detention than students. I came from the Catholic school system in Baton Rouge and in contrast Prairieville Middle is a horrible school. I will be returning to the Catholic school system next year and cannot wait for this nightmare to be over.

Posted November 20, 2010

The school is great! Their belief in technology use in the classroom is great! My child is coming home with more technology skills on a daily basis-it is awesome!

Posted November 4, 2010

teachers really devoted to teaching young people

Posted September 3, 2009

Administrators do not respect parents. Students are treated like prison inmates. Teachers are very mean. Good test scores do not tell the whole story!

Posted May 20, 2009

I like Prairieville Middle alot. This is a great school. It does look like a jail, but the people are great.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 10, 2008

I have had two children go through Prairieville Middle. We came from the catholic school system in St. John the Baptist Parish, and my children were much more challenged at Prairieville. The parent and teacher involvement is great. My husband and I were thinking about going back to Florida because this is were our family is but this school has made such a difference in my childrens life that we have changed our minds. I wanted to take the time and thank the administration for a job well done. The only advise I can give parents considering this school is take the time a speak with the administration and see that your child will be challenged at this school, this is why Prairieville is #8 in the state for LEAP scores. Thanks once again for making a difference in our children's future.

Posted January 27, 2008

By Louisiana standards this is one of the best schools in the state. We came here from Texas and find it sadly lacking. By Texas standards it would be called barely acceptable. The school looks like a prison with barbed wire fences around it and painted grey. The teachers not only discourage communication btwn the parent and the student, but become angry at the student when parents get involved. The staff and teachers are unhelpful and uncaring. Needless to say, I am removing my children from the school. The curriculum is also several years behind Texas standards with the exception of science. The children spend an inordinate amount of time doing projects so that the teachers don't need to teach. Expect lots of homework on projects that are really worthless and plain old time consuming.

Posted October 5, 2007

i love prairieville middle! its a great school and we should really expand it more!when i went, it was kinda crowded. the yeachers are amazing abd will teach your children what they need to know for the next level of schooling.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 25, 2007

The quality of the math and english programs are lacking. There is mostly independent learning, and I would prefer if the teachers spent more time teaching then oversee group assignments. There is a lot of parental involvement. I think there would be more if the Administration did a better job.

Posted March 11, 2005

A+ for PVMS! The administration is fair and impartial when dealing with disputes...always looking for win-win situations and putting the education of the child first. As a mother of a child with special/behavior needs I cannot express the cooperation this school has given me. All the extracurricular activities are wonderful, but never placed above academic goals. The teachers are highly qualified and all the support staff is friendly and knowledgeable. My only complaint is that the physical appearance of the school does not reflect what is inside. Keep up the good work PVMS!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 68% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 25%N/A67%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

16200 Louisiana 930