Bad
Good

Great schools, great community! There is a real focus on kids in the community and it is a great, wholesome place to live. Parents are very involved in the schools. Many teachers even live in the community.

Good for a public school system. Maine is a great place for families and for children to grow up free of many of the dangers and temtations of life in more urban areas. Cumberland is one of the strongest communities, in terms of economics, education levels and proximity to amenities, in Maine. There is an excessive emphasis on athletics in the Cumberland/North Yarmouth community so how you feel about the school system depends on where you come down on that. Athletes do tend to learn to manage time and to stay out of trouble better than non athletes, but not everyone can be an athlete and it is damaging being excluded. Overall, the school system tries to do well and except for excessive expenditures on disabled students compared to abled or gifted, funds go towards what is important-strengthening the curriculum. Teachers care, administrators do, too; superintendent is unnecessary.

I graduated from Greely last year. For me, there were a lot of positives, but also a few negatives. The administration here has done some immensely silly things, and the head of the board needs a change of faces. There are some great facilities here, and the level of academic rigor is fairly unparalleled. I was fortunate to graduate in the top ten and I was accepted into the wonderful Reed College. If there's one thing Reed is known for, it's academic difficulty--and I feel like it's on a similar level as Greely was, and that's a huge positive! Greely taught me great analytical skills, and hammered an immense amount of knowledge into my brain. There are some bad teachers here, but they are outweighed amazingly by the many simply incredible teachers who are knowledgeable to an extent unexpected of a Public High School teacher!

Greely is a great highschool. Every single one of my teachers made themselves available to me outside of class, and my friends never had problems with seeking extra help. The teachers were very helpful, some of these people probably just didn't help themselves. I 100% recommend Greely if you want a good education and to enjoy highschool

I am currently a student at Greely and really dislike it there. I am not extremely good at sports, so I have not played one, so therefore I am counted as a 'weirdo' and don't have many friends because of this. If I had the chance I would change schools, because it is no fun when you are 'by yourself' through high school, and none of the teachers help you in anyway. I have found it a horrible school and would not recommend it to anyone.

I completely disagree with the May 6th poster. I just graduated not more than a month ago and my experience couldn't have been worse. The fact is: they only care about the affluent, athletes, and overachievers. Everyone should get an equal chance to succeed but when your here, thats not what you get. People who move here seem to have it worst, probably because the people in the school don't accept anyone different. I put everything into school and still only managed C's and B's. What did I get told when I asked for help? Go get a tutor. It seemed like I was on my own and most teachers had the attitude of 'heres your knowledge, go learn it.' I did have a handful of teachers that were exceptional and helped me through, but that still doesn't make up for the ones who didn't even try to do their job.

I transferred to Greely when I was still in middle school, from Cape Elizabeth. I noticed that everyone here had a bad attitude and overbearing sense of self-worth to the point where it was sickening. I had to transfer to Yarmouth half way through high school because I could just not take it here anymore. I agree that life and school is hard, but no school should ever be this difficult. I graduated from Yarmouth with good grades from them and bad grades from Greely because I could not get any support there. I guess whenever Greely fails, go to a neighboring school and let them clean up the mess that Greely created.

I had a rough start at Greely. I was disappointed by the gifted and talented advisor and I was bullied and kicked off a sports team- yay! But as to the negative comments about being affluent, an athlete, or above average: This is high school. And life. It's hard! My attitude is that the resources are there and what you receive is proportionate to what you put into it. I liked that it was a real-world education in that respect and private-school caliber in academics and athletics. It's the traditional high school scenario that's not for everyone (my own brother included) and not something intrinsically wrong with Greely. The instruction and support was top notch- two teachers had PhDs and were there because it's an exceptional place. I also enjoyed graduating with a strong feeling of camaraderie in my class. I went to Cornell and have to give partial credit to Greely.

When I attended this school they did not do what a School was supposed to do. I struggled when it came to academics and there was no help to be had. I went to this school for almost two years and met with a guidance counselor twice, once when I moved in and once when I moved out. As a new middle class student I was instantly shunned by others and looked down upon as being a blemish to their schools reputation. Most students were not well looked after and if they were it was because they were either a star athlete, a high honor student, or both. The extra attention was given to those who didn't need it and students that did need it were neglected. Unless you naturally do well, this is not a school for you.

Unless you are an athlete or overachiever, the average student doesn't really have a good chance to succeed without a struggle. I've had 2 children that have graduated from this High School and with two different personalities and academic qualities. Both were not given the opportunity to nurture their goals and self-worth. A parent needs to be aware that guidance will not know your student's strengths and weaknesses to help with their success. Please don't take for granted that the school is doing their job. There are a handful of teachers that are to be commended...that's something to look at.

Last modified Greely High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.