Portland, ME

Posted January 06, 2015
Waynflete's special sauce, and, in my opinion, the reason why it is the top school in Maine, is that every student is respected as a budding intellectual and as a human being. This respect gives students the courage to take academic risks and helps them develop the confidence to think and analyze independently, not worrying about what the "right" answer is. Waynflete's teachers have high standards and our children are appropriately challenged. The students here need to work for high grades. Even so, hard work does not always guarantee high grades if the intellectual quality of the work isn't there. Another wonderful quality about Waynflete is that this is a school that tries to help its students keep their lives in balance, It is not "cool" here to stay up until all hours doing your homework. If that is your situation, you are not organizing yourself effectively and the school will help you to do that. A third component that we very much appreciate about Waynflete is that there is no dominant student or parent group here. Kids are allowed to be themselves and are respected for that. It is a very special place whose graduates emerge as discerning thinkers and human beings.

Posted December 28, 2014
Waynflete is a great school, because they push you to achieve and be successful, in academics and life.

Posted November 22, 2014
I love how the teachers know my child so well and take great pride in teaching him. There is an excellent balance between rigorous academics and thoughtful play. I feel fortunate to send my child to Waynflete.

Posted November 22, 2014
Initially I was not convinced to send my child to private school having had much success at an average public school. But now I see how much more there is to an education than just academics success. My daughter is thriving both academically AND on a deeper psycho-social level; something I didn't even realize was equally important to foster a love of learning. I am grateful that we have the opportunity to send our daughter to Waynflete and I am now a convert.

Posted October 08, 2014
It can be done. You can educate kids the way you think they ought to be, and they can still come out on top. Teen years are critical for development. High schools have become gateways to good colleges & the focus is on students who sit down at standardized tests & spit out right answers. We wanted a place where our son would be exposed to music, arts & a first class education in math & science & learn to think, read critically, write & speak persuasively. Where he was in a community. A place small enough so teachers know each student & appreciate their individual gifts & challenges. A Mainer, I wanted a place that understood the importance of spending time outdoors. A Dad I wanted a place that had a great sports program. Waynflete is all that. It was rigorous but understanding and valued analysis over rote. Our son got into a great College. The best freshman story I've heard from him so far was about a disagreement he had with one of his Professors on how to interpret a piece his class was studying. They came to a polite difference of opinion & papers were assigned. Our son received his paper & the professor had written: "OK, I've come around to your way of thinking on this."

Posted September 04, 2014
Our daughter is in her fourth year at Waynflete. It is so rewarding to witness our child's enthusiasm and joy when she walks onto campus. The teachers are all very connected with the students and their families. Communication and family involvement is a huge part of the experience. Truly an amazing school!

Posted September 03, 2014
My school is Waynflete and my son is beginning his second year there in the lower school. Teachers and staff are phenomenal. There is a strong sense of community here and from day one, all the adults on campus made an effort to get to know our entire family. Yes, the school is overwhelmingly white but that is reflective of Maine. Waynflete is committed to diversity. My son is transgendered and the school has been wonderful in supporting him in every way. We came from a public school and are best described as lower middle class. I was intimidated at first by the tuition and the school's reputation as a haven for the rich. The nicest surprise has been that all the kids and parents are so nice. Kids seem genuinely supportive of one another here and the community is so small that there is time and space for students to try everything, experiment with new ideas and be themselves. We feel very lucky to be a part of it.

Posted July 15, 2014
Three of our four children went through Waynflete from preschool through high school. (We also had a child in public school.) The most amazing part of the school is their ability to ignite learning regardless of what a child is interested in or good at doing. There is a HUGE difference in the education at Waynflete compared to what you get in a public school. Not that you can't get a good education in a public school, just a very different education. First of all Waynflete has studied and incorporated the latest research on how kids learn given the changes in technology and society. At Waynflete they teach kids critical thinking not just how to take standardized tests or do rote memorization. And they focus on students learning self advocacy, rather than parents doing it for them. All three of my kids learned to be comfortable with public speaking, write very well, care about others in the community and they each got into the college they wanted to go to.

Posted July 02, 2014
I went to Waynflete and the community and teachers there are like no other. The curriculum is very challenging and I highly recommend it. The previous review about Mark Segar is completely false. Mark Segar was a wonderful headmaster and is a wonderful person. The reason I say was is because he retired and a new headmaster has taken his place. The campus is small but very welcoming. I will say for those students who struggle with academics North Yarmouth Academy has better support though they are Waynflete's rivals. Parents are less involved which I consider and good thing but many parents do not. I believe that this really lets students transform and evolve as scholars. I hope you take a good look at this school if you are in the area. I hope you found this helpful.

Waynflete School 1

Posted June 07, 2013
I went to waynflete. The teachers are good and the school is good but Mark Segar is the worst headmaster ever. I would avoid waynflete just because of him.

Waynflete School