PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

The atmosphere the schools fosters is one of kindness and respect. This environment makes bullying almost nonexistent. The students and teachers would just not tolerate it.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is not busy work but work that really reinforces what they are learning in class.

Waynflete is an amazing place. All three of my children continue to be transformed by their experiences at the school. It is safe, inclusive, highly intellectual, and a great place to learn. Children are known by their teachers who bend over backwards to help them succeed. I have never experienced as close a community as that which exists at Waynflete. Teachers balance a joy for learning with the hard work necessary to really excel. My children never resist going to school and always came home with plenty to share. It is really a wonderful place for learning.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Administrators are very responsive to concerns and work to empower students to support one another.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The community is amazingly open and affirming.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They care about each child and are available for extra help.

Caveat Emptor! Do your homework before you pull the trigger. Walk around their open campus while school is in session, are you noticed? Are you greeted? Ask many questions about the availibility of teachers outside of the classroom and specific ways they encourage student engagement & community building outside of the classroom if that's important to you. Ask about half day Wednesdays and sports practices that take place primarily off campus. Look into area crime and how the school communicates with parents. Do adults run the show or do the students? Are you comfortable with middle and high school students calling teachers by their first names? Funny story - when my child was asked to bring baked goods for a fundraiser , she brought her favorite cookies from a nearby favorite bakery to sell .. a teacher turned them away and said they had to be baked at home. On a more serious note - when I informed them of heroin users in the bushes within eyesight of the school who then threw their used needles onto the ground it was brushed off as par for the course in cities ...ask how information of this nature is ever shared with parents to make informed decisions of their own. Ask about daily student "frees" and if there are any adult expectations during that time and what the students typically do during that time in middle school and high school. Look, listen and ask!

Waynflete has been one of the best decisions we have made for our children. They all tell me that the teachers are their favorite part of the school. The teachers are a phenomenal group of people who support and encourage the kids to do their best work. My kids have become independent learners who look forward to tackling new challenges. This was not always the case before Waynflete!

From the moment I stepped into Waynflete School I knew this was the place for my daughters, it was the best school I looked at in Portland and surrounds. We were new to Maine which is not the most welcoming place but the Waynflete administration and faculty were excellent and made us all feel welcome and part of the community. The lower school has been an excellent start for my children with its diverse curriculum, Reggio Emilia approach and creative environment. The teacher / student relationship is like nothing I have experienced before, my children love their teachers and can’t wait to share experience and spend time with them. Studying a different country each year has opened my children’s eyes up about the world and where they are from. Communication and parent / family involvement is great at Waynflete. I highly recommend.

I had an amazing experience at Waynflete. As a student here you truly learn to learn. I started as a freshman and had a really smooth transition. From outdoor experience to freshman seminar, the school does so much to make you feel welcome and part of the community. My advisor was fantastic and I am still close to her today - she really made my high school experience fantastic. I was lucky enough to be on the Crew team for all 4 years which was a life changing experience. I felt 110% prepared when I started college, especially when it came to writing. I highly recommend Waynflete!

Last modified Waynflete School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12