Rolling Knolls Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 473 students

Posted today

I have had three children attend this school, and I will be very sad when our time here comes to and end. There are so many opportunities for children at RKE - clubs, teams, sports, etc - that every child can find his/her niche. The teachers are top notch and get to know each child as an individual. I couldn't have asked for a better start for my kids' educations - and when they moved up to middle school, they were exceedingly prepared, both socially and academically.

Posted February 1, 2013

I called about having a tour, meet and greet to answer some questions I have about the school, curriculum, discipline and core values. The principals secretary told me in a rude tone..."if this is the school your zoned to go to you just enroll and attend, this isn't a private school". I remained polite and asked her to take my name and number and forward it to the principal. After 7 days I didn't hear a word from the school. I called again, to have the same lady, again rude say "didn't you call last week, I already took your information". I asked her to forward it again since the principal hasn't called me yet. After three weeks wait I still hadn't received a call. I tried again, and spoke with a different office staff. Finally the principal called she did not give me a warm feeling, she was reluctant to give me a tour making excuses about it. I flat out asked her you won't meet with me? She gave in and set an appt. and told me to do my homework first so we aren't here all day. If this is the treatment I get before my child attends how will it be if you do have a problem once we are here. The office staff is rude, I'm not impressed but keeping and open mind.

Posted September 25, 2012

I agree with another parent, the office staff are rude and do not think it is important to be helpful or respectful to parents. Also, the K staff think it is their job to police what snack I send to school with my child. The other day I packed a snack that was sugar free and was vitamin fortified, sort of like gummy vites. I got a note that said "Please do not send candy as a snack" Really? Where is that rule written? Why are cookies, pudding and fruit roll ups ok but not sugar free gummy rings? My kid eats very healthy food 90% of the time. I think gummy rings once a month is fine. At least I pack a snack everyday--some parents do bother and their kids get the FREE snacks we parents were required to buy at the start of the year. Then my kid wants to know why he can't have those snacks too. Take your Michelle Obama communism and mind-control and shove it!

Posted March 15, 2010

I am extremely happy with the commitment and service offered by the faculty and staff of this school. I agree with the post on 24 July that my experience with the school has been a very positive one.

Posted July 24, 2009

I must respond to the last post. I am sorry that you had a bad experiance, but I have a 3rd grader and a PK at RKE and my experiance has been absolutely contrary. I have been very active in my child's classroom, which is encouraged by the staff, and can tell without a doubt that the children are in no way seperated by abaility or aptitude. My children's classes have always held children running the complete gamut and the staff and teachers: from the principle, teachers, counselors, to the lunch monitors know the kids names and really seem to care about their success. Sincerely, I have been quite impressed.

Posted May 14, 2009

I transferrred my child from a private school after 4 years of having 30+ kids per classroom. Rolling Knolls seemed to offer a smaller class size and what I saw was a challenging curriculum. Within the first couple months I soon realized that the individual classes per grade are seperated out to the smartest kids, the middle of the road kids and the goof-offs. Be wary when attending this school.

Posted May 30, 2004

I am very proud to be a parent of 2 students that have attended Rolling Knolls since Pre-K. RKE has a very diverse population and the principal and teachers do their very best to meet the needs of all students. I have been pleased with the Saxxon Math and Open Court Reading programs. Overall, the County needs to focus a bit more on gifted and talented students at the elementary level and allow them the same access to extra services as they allow challenged students. RKE has an extremely active PTA that provides many extras for the students and teachers. Parents are encouraged to participate in their child's education and are welcomed in most classrooms. RKE provides a well-rounded education and the music, art, PE and media programs are strong. Stop in, look around, talk with the students! You would have to pay alot of money to get a comparable private school.

Posted February 9, 2004

We switched our child from private school to Rolling Knolls Elementary and have been extremely happy with our decision. Our daughter is doing more challenging academic work at Rolling Knolls. As a Kindergartener, she is already starting to read, as well as add and subtract. The small student/teacher ratio is fantastic, better than the private school, and the commitment and skill of the teachers is very impressive. I watched one teacher keep a room of 31 (two classes working together) 5 year-olds engaged and interested for an entire morning! Finally, the school has excellent (quantity & quality) parent involvement, which shows in the ambiance of the school, and our principal is top notch - both kids and parents love her. I would highly recommend Rolling Knolls!

Posted February 8, 2004

I have 3 children who attend RKE with my oldest, who s currently in 4th grade, having attended since kindergartens. My twins are in kindergarten and attended pre-k last year at RKE. We have been exceedingly pleased with RKE! My oldest son has had excellent teachers throughout his attendance and my twins' instructors have been, likewise, outstanding. The parental involvement is very high which I believe is a key indicator of a school s quality. I note the comment from another parent who lamented the playground equipment and inattentiveness of office staff. Personally, I don't believe the quality of playground equipment to be a strong predictor of a good school. As for the office staff, I have always found them to be very helpful and courteous. In particular, the health assistant and school nurse have been exceedingly concerned about my childrens' special health needs which include severe food allergies.

Posted February 8, 2004

Our seventh grader attended here her entire time. Our third grader has been here since Pre-k too. Do some things need to be changed? Who could say no? Are there are there winners here? Most defintely yes. I suspect both students and faculty are as good as you can find just about anywhere. Is the Principal first rate. Most assuredly so. Are 90% of the teachers smart, caring, and loving? You better believe it. You might have to look beneath the surface sometimes but it is a fine tuned education machine over there.

Posted February 8, 2004

My daughter is in preK, and I could't be happier with the education she's getting. Having worked in public schools, I feel confident in saying that her teacher is among the best I've seen and I'm often amazed at what my child is learning. The teachers are dedicated and the majority of parents are very involved. As for the playground, the children seem very happy with the equipment and although it is near the bus lane, they are so well supervised that I have never had cause to worry. I've been nothing but pleased with our experience at Rolling Knolls!

Posted February 8, 2004

I am a recent convert to public school. I spent the last four years at a private school in Annapolis. Having gone to public school myself, I had become disillusioned by the limited resources, the lack of real open communication between student, teacher, parent and private school administrators and the rising cost of tuition for the status quo. I set about looking at public vs. private not only as a parent but as a consumer and a citizen. I spent all of last year visiting Rolling Knolls Elementary School (RKE), Bates Jr. High School (BJRH) and Annapolis High School (AH). This is what I found: 1.The resources at Annapolis area public schools, the arts, music, computer labs, extra curriculum activities, parent and teacher after school involvement with students are superior to the private school we were attending. 2. Even though test scores appeared dismal at first glance, I saw a huge difference between the two, private vs. public, for above average performing students in the public schools. They offered Gifted and Talented, accelerated math and English programs as early as 6th grade, AP classes in Algebra as early as 8th grade, small classroom sizes, enrichment programs (such as the Chessie Book Club at Rolling Knolls Elementary School) within the school day run by librarians, parent volunteers and general school staff and college prep and college credited courses at Annapolis High School. In the private school we were attending it asserts that the student body as a whole are accelerated therefore it didn't need to offer any programs outside the standard curriculum. Maybe? 3. As a citizen I saw the needs of every child sincerely and genuinely trying to be met at RKE, BJRH, AH. The diversity is truly a blessing for my children. They left an extremely homogenous environment and are thriving under that auspices of a true reflection of their own society not only now as children but as adults. 4. Yet the number one reason I was able to transfer schools with confidence and felt so strongly that I had made the right decision is because I had been able to experience first hand the teachers at Rolling Knolls Elementary School. My youngest was accepted into the Preschool program at RKE. I was overwhelmed by his teacher's intelligence, dedication, professionalism and talent. I was able to walk the halls and see for myself that she was not an anomaly but that the staff as a whole reflected her professionalism and dedication. These teachers take on a great challenge everyday. They do not have the luxury as the private schools do to filter out undesirable and hard to teach students. They also must attend to the needs of accelerated students while making sure that every child learns the basics. These teachers come to work each day friendly and ready to teach. My family is grateful for Rolling Knolls Elementary School.

Posted January 24, 2004

My daughter transferred to this school for 2nd grade. She attended another school for her 1st grade. In the beginning I was eager to get her into this school but now I feel I made a mistake. The staff in the office often ignores you. The school is always sending letters home with the child asking for things. The playground consist of a few outdated metal objects that's very close to the school bus lane. My daughter will be attending her old school for her 3rd grade school year.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

46 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 24%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1985 Valley Rd