No rating

Annapolis Area Christian School - Middle School

Private | 6-8 | 911 students

Living in Annapolis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $385,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted April 17, 2014

My two sons had a wonderful middle school experience here. They were challenged, yet given extra help and attention when needed. They've made life long friends.

Posted April 17, 2014

I will try to put into words how amazing this school is! This is my 2nd year at AACS and I have a son in kindergarten and daughter in 3rd grade. My husband and I had heard nothing but good things about the school, but as parents we wanted to be sure. I took the time to review the curriculum at the lower school and talk to the teachers and visit the classrooms before we were committed to anything. I wanted a Christian education for my kids, but I also wanted the best academic education for them, as any parent will say. This school has so much to offer. The teachers have exciting ways to involve students in hands on experiences to enrich and support classroom lessons. My daughter has told me, on more than one occasion "mommy, I don't ever want to go to another school". That, to me, is all that I needed to hear to know we had made the right decision. It really set in that this was the school for our family after attending one of the weekly chapel times. That is a moving experience, you have to experience that on your own to understand what I mean, and I highly recommend you come and sit in at chapel time! We pray everyday to thank God for allowing us to have access to AACS!

Posted October 4, 2013

AACS has been an excellent choice for our son from kindergarten to the junior he is today. The faculty has consistently partnered with us to instill Christian values and nurture a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. The excellent academics, arts and athletic opportunities are just icing on the cake. It is not heaven on earth and we did consider leaving in middle school. Our faith and perseverance have been rewarded. Looking back we realize that no school is immune to trouble and we have grown through the challenges. In the high school there have been great honors and AP classes to keep challenging our son. There are enough sports with the size of the school that no student is cut from making a team. The music and drama are pursued at the highest level with nearly 1/3 of the student body participating in this area. Students are able to be multisport athletes and be serious about the arts if they so choose. I would highly recommend this school to parents who earnestly want to have their child in a Christ centered learning environment with the opportunity to have diverse experiences.

Posted October 4, 2013

AACS has been an excellent choice for our son from kindergarten through his junior year. The faculty has consistently partnered with us to raise our son with Christian values and grow in his relationship with Jesus Christ. This being of primary importance to us the excellent academics ,arts and athletics are an added bonus. It is not heaven on earth and we did consider leaving in middle school. Our faith and perseverance was rewarded. No school is immune to trouble but we all grew through the challenges. In high school we are grateful for the excellent honor and AP classes to keep our son challenged. The size of the school also allows students to be multisport athletes(there are no cuts for sports teams) and seriously pursue the arts if they so choose. I would highly recommend this school to parents who are earnestly seeking to have their child in a Christ centered learning environment with the diverse opportunities of arts and athletics.

Posted May 9, 2012

The lower school's strict disciplinary policies makes the environment intolerable for children that have personalities. The school has potential but they need to allow the kids to be kids. If your school student has an introverted personality, this school is a good choice. If your child is an extrovert, keep looking. Some of the teachers will key in on your extroverted child and make your child's school life miserable. They need to create a more welcoming environment for new kids. The school is somewhat cliquish. I had to withdraw my kids after this term.

Posted February 18, 2012

Our oldest has been at AACS for 9 years and will be starting HS next year. She and our two other children love AACS. The teachers are kind and supportive. The students are respectful. My children have all thrived academically and socially. AACS has helped my children mature spiritually and is preparing them for the real world challenges they will encounter regarding their faith. I highly recommend AACS!

Posted November 4, 2011

I am a former graduate of AACS. I can say firsthand the classes and school environment were helpful for my academic career after graduating. The school environment is really what you decide to make it. With a student body of roughly 500 people, there are plenty of opportunities to make new relationships and build strong social networks. When I was a junior, I knew sixty percent of the students by name, and loved every day I was there. Most of the teachers I had were quite social and kind. In an academic sense, I will agree that due to tuition, the school ought to definitely make a strong effort to establish after school study programs for those academically challenged to improve their growth in learning. I'll say I struggled greatly at imes in this school( in regards to the classes), but was fortunate enough to persevere and succeed through my devotion to learning. Perhaps there is no perfect school, but I believe in the future of my former high school, and the drive to sustain the Chrisocentric message in everything they do. For whats its worth, I attended the Naval Academy Preparatory School ( NAPS), and am now currently enrolled in the United States Naval Academy.

Posted January 14, 2011

I love the School, this is my son second year of middle school and we are looking foward to the high school next year. The eachers are excellent and the Academics are great,the students have lots personality and are very respectful and caring. You must check out this school......

Posted December 31, 2010

The one problem I have with this school is that alot of the kids are brats and they don't act like Christians.

Posted April 8, 2010

For the most part this is a good high school. There are definitely some problems with teachers who are not able to get through to the marginal student. Unless you have a great deal of natural academic ability don't consider this school even if you're searching for the Christian education. In my opinion a teacher should strive help every student grasp the information in the classroom. If you're a quiet conforming student you'll definitely fall through the cracks and it will cost you a lot of money.

Posted March 5, 2010

I came from a public elementary school to aacs. It was a huge change but i met friends here and they helped me adjust quickly. My old public school was horrible. The sports, academics and most teachers were pretty bad. Then I came here. It is the best school I have ever heard of!! The kids are great! The teachers? Even better! I love it here and the sports and academics are awesome! I couldn't be in a better school.

Posted December 16, 2009

I'm a aacs student!!! we have mentor group !! it's awesome and good !! i like my school

Posted October 28, 2009

My experience is as 7 year AACS parent, so take from this what you may. Academically AACS is perhaps average. I see little beyond what parents in their 40 s might have experienced in their own education 25+ years ago. They offer all the traditional math, science, language, language arts and history classes but I the depth and breadth of the curriculum is not top notch. Little comprehensive support is available for children needing extra help. School activities and sports are what you might expect for a school this size. Thing is, they don t purport to be leaders in these areas and they are not. Unfortunately where they fail to live up to their billing is in the Christian-centered portion of their mission statement. Enforcement of the code of conduct takes a don t ask, don t tell approach. Children of high profile parents/donors do appear to get special treatment whether they do or not. Cliques and the stereotyping/ostracizing that they promote are so visible as to be almost defiant. The student body is much more diverse than it once was. Unfortunately it s more of a salad bowl than a melting pot, with kids from like-backgrounds more likely to hang together then integrate. Actively recruiting athletes to support the donor hunger for MIAA results undermines the entire premise of the school faith first. Once a very small, faith-based school in Annapolis, they have decided to make the leap and try to become a regional education presence. Making that leap has lead the school to make some unfortunate compromises. These compromises are inconsistent with their mission statement and the unbiased observer easily notes some significant hypocritical behavior. There is certainly a feeling of a caste system amongst the parents with the high profile donor parents occupying the highest caste. Just walk into a school activity and watch the finger-pointing and whispering. It s a Peyton Place. Worst of all is that the student body sees everything and is learning from their observation; money and influence go hand-in-hand.

Posted June 23, 2008

Our child is an Upper School student. After the experience we had this year, we must say that it seems the administration has forgotten why AACS exists. In their own words, AACS exists 'to support Christian parents by providing academic instruction to students consistent with the Christ-centered teaching they receive at home and at church.' When our child encountered academic difficulties in the second semester, we received little support. We emailed all teachers: only 2 responded. No one else ever contacted us. We contacted the Academic Advising Office, who seemed unaware of the situation and gave little attention to it. Considering that tuition is around $12,000, we think we have a right to expect much more. We wonder if the emphasis on building a beautiful campus has caused AACS to lose sight of its responsibility to its families and to become more self-glorifying than God-glorifying.

Posted December 3, 2007

We have had two children graduate from AACS and have only one more to go. AACS has a wonderful music program. My children have been involved in band, choir and Madrigals. All the teachers teach from a Biblical prospective bringing our Lord into every subject. I am so glad my children have been privileged to attend.

Posted June 23, 2007

I am currently enrolled as a student at AACS--I'm a rising Junior. I can say that AACS has an excellent math program--especially from H. Algebra II up, with some of the most brilliant teachers I know. They're able to effectively communicate their deep knowledge of the subject matter to students. While I cannot speak as highly of the science program (although I've heard older students speak very highly the upper levels--AP Bio, Physics, especially AP Bio). In addition, the history department--once again especially in the higher levels--is top-notch. In my experience, the most astounding expertise is to be found in the English department--ever since I first came to AACS I have stood in awe of the brilliance of several English teachers. A great school.

Posted June 15, 2007

There are 3 different bus runs. My daughter was involved in 3 different sports, the fall and spring plays, the variety show, 2 choirs and several clubs as well. But there is also a fantastic band program. If you want to find extracurricular activities, you can be sure that your son/daughter will find one accustomed to his/her liking. The english/arts program is more stressed than the science/math department but the teachers in those subjects are wonderful. Overall, the school is great and provides a welcoming atmosphere and community unlike any other school.

Posted May 2, 2007

Overall quality: Listed as one of the top Christian Schools in the book, soon to be published, entitled, 'From Good to Great in Christian Schools.' Accredited with ACSI and Middle States and approved by the Maryland State Board of Education. Principal leadership/Teacher quality: Administrators and staff have degrees from a variety of colleges and universities. 25 to 1 teacher/student ratio. Extracurricular activities: new sports complex to be finished in August. Award winning fine arts program. After-school clubs. Parent involvement: sought after and valued. Safety and discipline: New cameras and safety doors installed at all three campuses. Seeking families who want to partner in the self-discipline of their child and who value Biblical worldview and the opportunity to graduate a student who is wise as well as smart!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted April 14, 2007

AACS has a decent elementary school. But the middle and high school education is lacking. Alot of things the kids have not learned yet that kids in public have. There are very few extra curricular activities in the High school. The school also seems to give a lot of pointless projects and work. The school is decent until high school. I believe there are many public schools in the area that provide a better education. Even though the school is called 'Annapolis Area Christian' the high schools is very inconvenient because it is far away from Annapolis and bus transportation is not provided. My kids will be attending there local public school next year for 9th grade instead of AACS.

Posted February 24, 2007

Both our kids attend AACS. Great elementary school but lacks academically at the middle and high school levels. High school doesn't emphasize math and science curriculums. Outstanding English and arts programs, but that's not what's needed in today's technology driven economy. There is a perception that children of major donors are given preferences, but that can be said of any private school. Some teachers and administrators appear to be naive about actions that should be taken in the event of unauthorized persons on school grounds. Overall ok school, but there's a few public and private schools in the Annapolis area with better overall programs.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School counslor
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• ACSI
  • CSI

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School counslor