Bad
Good

This is a great community school with many motivated and dedicated teachers and parents. My son started in K last year. Now in first grade he continues to be excited to learn and go to school everyday. Added plus is that he can go walking to school.

Both of my children started in pre-k and have flourished at FHPS. The staff is excellent, the administration is dialed in both locally and with North Avenue, and the PTO is very active.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school has a daily affirmation in which the students promise to behave with integrity and honesty. I also see the teachers supporting these traits.

We could not be happier with the education our daughters are receiving at Prep. The PTO is very active in supporting the school and the current principal is always available and responsive. I think many of these reviews were from past administrations. (My girls wear patterned tights and boots, for example, with no problems.) I think it is a terrible shame that the school is ranked so low and does a great injustice to the parents and teachers working so hard to make it the educational, supportive place that it is.

People have had mixed feelings about this school but i can tell you that after 3 years at that school we could not have been happier. This is a really good school, there is not need to send your little ones to another school, they will succeed at federal hill prep.

My school is an undiscovered gem in Baltimore. It is as close to a private school as you can get and still be public and free! We are small in size but large in accomplishments. We are teaching an urban population to become a global society. We not only touch the future we shape the future.

My children have excelled at this school. My oldest child has scored in the 99th percentile in Math on standardized test and high in reading too. My youngest has thrived in this school in terms of behavior and learning in a way he didn't when he went to a private preschool.

Federal Hill Prep is a great community school! I confess we were considering other options given what we'd seen and heard about the direction the school had taken, but with the new principal starting in 2013, the school has really changed for the better. I can see that our child is learning a great deal, and the teachers are passionate about their jobs and are very caring. Overall I notice an environment that fosters curiosity and creativity. And the very strong PTO and community involvement really makes the school welcoming. Plus, the school is so small it seems that teachers and staff know each and every student. Finally, they have a great deal of activities that make school fun: from the Green Eggs & Ham Breakfast, to Science Night, Bingo and more. I would recommend this school; a hidden gem.

Federal Hill Prep is a great place. We recently moved to Baltimore and have been extremely happy with the number of cultural activities, field trips and education opportunities that have been made available to our students. The teachers and administrators care about the success of each student and will listen to and address any concerns you have with instruction, environment, staff, etc. And they are getting a salad bar! It's a great environment with great teachers, students, parents and leadership.

I have two kids at Federal Hill Prep, and have been thrilled with the school. A new principal started in Sept 2013, and she is outstanding. I've also been very impressed by all the teachers my kids have had thus far. The school has done a suberb job rolling out the new common core curriculum this year. Federal Hill Prep takes a whole child approach, and recognizes that academics, while important, are only one part of a child's education. The school emphasizes arts integration and has great music and physical education programs as well. There's a well organized afterschool enrichment program, with a coordinator who arranges for programs such as language classes, yoga, art and various sports. The student body is very diverse, with kids from many race/ethnicities and income levels. The school only goes up to grade 5 now, so doesn't have the problems that come with middle school students. Federal Hill Prep partners with Experience Corp to bring more adults into the classrooms, and also has a coach from the Playworks program. My kids are thriving at Federal Hill Prep, both academically and socially, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Last modified Federal Hill Preparatory School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.