Thomas Jefferson Elementary School

Public | PK-8

Posted July 23, 2014

I have 2 sons that attend this school and a few years ago when Mrs. Leisure was the principal the school excelled. Now that Mrs. Henry has taken over the school has declined tremendously. You don't have to take my word for it, look at the test scores from 2010 and back then look at then from 2012 and forward. The proof is in the pudding. The first year she got there SEVERAL teachers left then the next year even more left and they still continue to leave!! My kids come home and tell me some of the things some of the teachers say to them and I am shocked. I have went to the school and sat in the classes and the kid acted as if nor the teacher were even there!! I was so angry I went to speak with the principal about it and right then and there she proved to me that she was all bark and no bite!! The only reason I give this school 2 stars is because of the very few teachers left there that do care.....sad to see what had so much potential go down the drain :(

Posted April 7, 2014

TJ is my grandson's school. This is his first year there, and he tells me he love it there. After attending private school, we thought he would not fit in , because he had never experience public schooling in the city. TJ has changed our feeling about public education,rather they took the fear we had about his safety, and would he stay in the mindset of learning. This is an excellent school full of learning opportunities for each child, with teachers and staff that have their backs at every turn. Thank You TJ for all you do for our boys and girls. A grandmother

Posted April 3, 2014

Thomas Jefferson Elementary/Middle School is an excellent well rounded school, that is accredited with offering each student the International Baccalaureate Program. This program offers each child an excellent learning opportunity and it opens the door for a bright and successful future after having left TJ. My son is currently in the 6th grade at TJ, this is his first year attending TJ, after having been enrolled in private school from Pre-K through 5th grade. i can honestly say that my son had not lost a step in learning! I am amazingly and pleasantly satisfied! In fact, I would go even further to say that via the IB Program, my son is learning more than he would have learned in the private leadership school that he came from - which speaks volumes! The leadership and staff at TJ have all been gracefully welcoming and filled with knowledge, and I especially love how they focus on a paperless sysem, encouraging the students to complete assignmens via technology, i.e., computer, websites, jump drives, etc. Expanding the minds of young people is what TJ is all about! Thank you for the opporunity to express my kudos! Carla Sewell, Parent.

Posted July 25, 2013

I do not see updated reviews. August, 2010 is the newest. We have lost a great librarian and art teacher. This is very sad and very bad. What is the status of the Green School? and IB?

Posted August 16, 2010

I am 14 I graduated form TJ in the 5th grade(4 years ago). When I attended Tj it was one of the greatest experiences of my life, I still to this day did not want to leave. The things I learned at TJ have lead me to success.I was the first child to ever win the Ben Carson Scholarship at Tj and i beieve it was because of what i learned while attending. To this day i still talk to my freinds from elementary school and i also still remember every little detail about the school.If you are looking for a good school to enroll your child in, stop looking and register him/her to TJ. I am Now 14 attending the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, and i thank Thomas Jefferson Elementary for it

Posted January 19, 2010

Thomas Jefferson is an International Baccalaureate School. This kind of school is known all oer the world. I am so glad my child has a chnace to have a global education. The principal and the teachers are hard working and interesting. My kids love to go to school. They love the library and the art room,too. My kids ae learning Spanish,too. Parents are always welcome at the school and feel good being there. Thanks for such a great school.

Posted November 9, 2009

Thomas Jefferson is a wonderful place to work! It's great to be a part of the TJ family. I have worked in other Baltimore City Schools and have never been treated as wonderfully as I am at TJ. The school is clean and safe and a great place for kids to learn both academic and life skills!

Posted November 2, 2009

My 4 year old son loves this school just as much as I do! His teacher in Pre-K has helped him to hold his attention to learning much longer than I did at home when I began him on the 'Hooked-on-Phonics' program. He is so independent and eagerly seeks going back to school on Sunday's. I love the 'No Nonsense' approach the entire staff has at TJ. The enforce respect, responsibility, as well as achievement! This school is run like a Private School, without the tuition!

Posted September 2, 2009

My son attended Thomas Jefferson for Pre-K and I was not too concerned because he is a very intelligent child and his teachers thought so as well for they had him in kindergarten classes for the first few hours of school to enhance his reading and math skills. I have a older son in 4th grade who I had in private school since pre-k because I was concerned about his academic needs but I took him out of private school this year and so far so good. His teacher is a bit stern which I love because he definitely needs it. He is in a larger class size than his private school but I feel he will get the attention and skills that he needs to excel academically. He loves the school and he seems to be showing a more grown up and responsible attitude since attending this school.

Posted July 2, 2009

I am a teacher at Thomas Jefferson and feel lucky to work with such a great staff and wonderful group of children. This school is by far the best I have seen through Baltimore City and many county schools as well. Students are cared for a taught in a manner that is first-class and I enjoy going in to work each day to work with my kids!

Posted February 8, 2009

As a community volunteer I continue to see constant love and attention paid to these children. Our principal works hard as does her excellent staff. I urge parents to go to the school and take a tour. The library, computer room, classrooms are fantastic. The halls are covered with the children's work. I talk to the students all the time in and out of the school and find them eager to learn and polite to me as an adult. Cannot wish for more. A tutor

Posted February 7, 2009

Thomas Jefferson is an excellent school. The principal has recruited an inspired and motivated staff.She is accessible at all times. The school is spotless. The students seem hard working and well behaved. I volunteer at the school weekly.I am continuously impressed by the the staff and the children.The librarian is terrific and the the library itself is a wonderful place to be. I volunteer in the library and enjoy the environment. The art teacher is also amazing. Every wall is adorned. The computer lab is well equipped and delightfully decorated.The classrooms are full of wonderful work and engaged teachers. Take time to visit!

Posted December 8, 2008

Looks are definitely deceiving ! I enrolled my children at T.J. elementary and the atmosphere really made me think everything was ok. The students are fine, however, some of the staff could be better trained. The teaching staff is young and either inexperienced or ineffective and in some cases, both. The kids bring home the same Math homework home over and over so you have no idea what they are doing in class. Teachers do not use blackboard, so you have no idea how your child is doing......and graded work is a joke, because you never see any ! I never received notification from teachers saying there is a test.......how am I to help them study ? If you're the type of parent who doesn't care, never visits the school and doesn't want to know what your child is learning, then Thomas Jefferson is the place for you !!

Posted October 14, 2008

I am a community volunteer that provides resources and volunteer teaching to groups of children in literary studies. This year I have an advanced reading group. The teachers are very motivated and helpful. The children are well behaved and the atmosphere of the school is serious, work centered but also fun. A gret place to be.

Posted October 9, 2008

This is a really good school. I was concerned about sending my grandchild to a Baltimore city public school, but this one is right on. Parents and grandparents are involved. None-the-less, more involvement is needed. I know it's hard now days with so many people having a hectic schedule; just do what you can. Even if it's just one day/month, or even seasonal. This school has PE, arts, and technology for the children. The teachers are high quality, and the principal works very hard at maintaining high standards among students.

Posted September 18, 2008

This is a great school. The parents really care about the students, and the neighborhood is safe. The teachers care about the students, and try to make learning fun! The Principal and Vice Principal are wonderful and supportive, and there are plenty of specialists on location to help make a bigger impact in the classroom!

Posted September 4, 2008

I Love this school!! My daughter is the 3rd generation to attend and we all agree it's one of the best public schools in Baltimore city!

Posted June 23, 2008

i am a student of this school i am in grade 6th i have been in this school sense i was in pre-k abnd it is the best school!
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 10, 2008

The teachers at Thomas Jefferson do a wonderful job educating my 2 children. They go above and beyond to ensure that my children reach their maximum potential.

Posted February 8, 2006

Thomas Jefferson Elementary School is one the best schools in the Edmondson Village area. As well as Baltimore City. The school environment is very safe. The class sizes are appropriate. The teachers know the students and meet their needs appropriately. My son and niece are doing well and I appreciate the activities, events, resources, and after school activities provided to the chilren.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 76%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Dance
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

605 Dryden Dr