Heather Hills Elementary School

Public | K-6

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted January 29, 2014

I am 100% satisfied with HH ES. My daughter started attending in the second grade and is now a 3rd grader. The curriculum is rigorous and parent participation is high. The staff is very accessible even for a busy working mom - I can call and email them anytime. The principal Mrs. Hosch is also very available.

Posted December 4, 2013

My daughter transferred to this school to begin second grade in 2009, It was the best decision ever. This school have firm but caring teachers. They do give lots of homework. The principal is firm with the kids, but it's needed. She is truly preparing them for college, yes I said college. She gives them electives like sign language, financial planning, step, destination imagination, and others to choose from. She makes them responsible for their own actions. I call her the female Joe Clark who wants nothing but the best for her students. The school is old but the up keep is wonderful. So many people ask me how they can get in. Well that's on the child, but if you get the opportunity to send your child her, you won't regret it.

Posted May 2, 2013

As someone who substituted at the school I feel that there is not enough discipline. While students are changing classes they are running in the school screaming and horse playing. I am used to having children walk in a straight line and quietly as they are changing classes. I also felt that the class that I was teaching had poor writing skills. Ultimately it comes down to parent involvement and reinforcing what they learned at home.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 16, 2013

We pulled our child from a very highly ranked elementary to attend an all-day tag, and I'm really glad we did. Yes, the students are grouped by Math scores, but the reading is also tailored to their level. If your child is in the highest math group but is not as strong in reading, lessons will be assigned accordingly. It's HHES's first year as an all TAG program, so they still have improvement opportunities. Communication between teachers and parents isn't where it should be; the reliance on agenda books was overwhelming; principal isn't phenomenal; uniform policy is strictly written but not as enforced (no logos on shoes? I search for no logos on shoes only to see Nikes everytime I'm there). But the tailored curriculum makes it worthwhile, and the "specials" courses (art, music, computer, languages) further add to the overall development of a well rounded child. I've also found that after expressing my concerns to the teachers, the majority of them were very responsive and willing to work with us. We take education very seriously in our home, and are very pleased with our decision to send our child to HHES.

Posted March 14, 2013

I am *overwhelmingly* disappointed in this TAG-only school. I pulled my child from a great neighborhood school for the opportunity of "more" in a full-time TAG setting. What a mistake! My child is not challenged nearly enough, there is an abundance of theft and behavior problems at the school, one of the science teachers quit the week before the science fair (perhaps "can't take this *one more* day?") and the principal is only marginally approachable (although the office staff is wonderful). Assemblies are a dull roar of chaos and the teachers largely seem resigned to let this year slip by. Will we try next year?? not so sure... You should think *long and hard* if you are considering sending your child to this school. The transition to all-TAG has been brutal and the student body at large is obviously neither prepared for nor able to work at regular grade level (not to mention an accelerated program). The level of performance by many of child's classmates is dismal (needing remedial work in addition and subtraction) and there seems to be no articulated plan for improvement on too many fronts. This is *clearly* no longer the school that was raved about in previous years.

Posted October 29, 2012

I'm so dissappointed with fourth grade... _all children are grouped into homerooms according to math ability (What happens if your child's ability level changes? Will his homeroom be changed? That means he goes with another class all day.) _accelerated math and spiral instruction instead of teaching for mastery (You may need to hire a math tutor, if your child doesn't grasp topics quickly.) _parents are not notified when children miss assignments (You need to check SchoolMax everyday.) _children change classrooms for most subjects and carry their backpacks from class to class (Instructional time is lost preparing to leave, exiting & entering, and taking supplies out for class once the child enters.) _the workload is challenging (-/+), not necessary challenging work _multiple tests and projects due around the same time

Posted April 1, 2012

Heather Hills is a great place for a student...until 4th grade. I don't know what it is about the 4th grade-- but we are very disappointed. My child constantly tells me his teacher is on her cell phone too much, clips coupons, and talks in the hall with her BFF (another teacher) during class time. The worksheets are overwhelming-it is supposed to be a TAG class. Teachers seem bored and a little lax...for a TAG atmosphere

Posted February 10, 2012

My daughter went to Kindergarten here and all of our family has gone here over the years. Great small community school, very quaint, excellent learning program. I was very impressed with the rate that my daughter learned new content and all the special activities the school performed in. I am very disappointed to hear that it is now becoming a TAG only school for 2nd - 5th grade. Now my daughter has to change schools next year.

Posted June 3, 2011

Overall I would say my expierence at Heather Hills was very excellent. I had fun and I learned something!!! And that's basically what schools about any. Just a note to parents though, if your thinking about entering your child into a tagged school, you can erase the vision of working lab rats as most compare us to we aren't geeks, or nerds, and we dont get picked on because we are tagged! Its an expierence that i am glad to have gotten. Im sad that i am leaving this year, but I will never forget what this school has taught. Love you Heather Hills Going to miss it!!!!!!

Posted May 16, 2011

Best public elementary school in PG County. It doesn't get any better than this in PG. I'm VERY thankful that my child received a lotter slot throught the TAG program and hope to have siblings transfer in at kindergarten.

Posted August 27, 2010

My son attends the TAG program here. We are happy with his progress, however, the teachers are very lax about returning calls and emails. The "methods" are a little shady also. There are teachers who yell...loud at kids and teachers who eat during class time or talk to other teachers while kids are doing "worksheets". Your kid has to be really talented or it will be hard for them to survive in this school. I don't know how they teach the "slower" kids.

Posted May 21, 2010

My daughter went to heather hills after attending an optional charter school. If you don't mind first graders having 30 minutes of homework every night, and doing nothing but worksheets all day, then this school is for you. I took my daughter out after witnessing the gym teacher yelling at children and telling them that "they would never amount to anything". We now homeschool.

Posted August 24, 2009

I am considering homeschooling my youngest daughter because I refuse to send her to the school inbound. I have appealed to the board of education to get her into Heather Hills because her sibling attends and is in the TAG program. The principal Mrs. Hosch does a stellar job in maintaining her school. The cafeteria, recess and bus situations are all supervised and the kids are pretty obedient and in control. I cannot say that for my child's previous school. I refuse to even allow my child to ride the bus to the school in our bounds. If your child is not excelling at Heather Hills, it is not because of the administration. They do work hard and care for the education and welfare of the students.

Posted October 22, 2008

This is my child's first year at Heather Hills and I am very disappointed. The only focus for the teachers and administration is testing and more testing. They have made their mark because of the high scores on the state testing. For good reason. The entire curriculum is simply teaching for the test and the students do not experience an engaging academic experience. They have so much focus on their TAG program and state testing, that they have truly 'left behind' the vision to teach students how to learn. I was impressed with the test scores and placed my son at the school, but in the past few months I have regretted that decision. This school is doing an injustice to the predominantly african american community they serve. State testing is the only focus, with a narrow vision for their so-called TAG students. They are cheating the children from an education.

Posted May 28, 2008

After years in private Montessori schooling, our son transferred into Heather Hills in the 5th grade, after qualifying for the TAG program. The school administrators have been helpful and child-centered. The teachers have been attentive. There is an awful lot of testing, which is a product of the times. As a smaller school (around 370) running through 6th grade, there is a home-like ambience about Heather Hills. My son has had a very positive experience.

Posted November 28, 2007

My elder daughter is in the TAG program and I'm very happy with the results so far!

Posted September 14, 2007

Heather Hills is an Excellent school, the best elementary school in the area. just have a look at the test scores and talk with parents whos children attend or have attended her. not only that, the principal and staff do do an outstanding job. the teachers do an amazing job and really care about the children succeeding. I have 3 children who attend this school and they all love it here and their grades have dramatically improved since being here and they are learning more and more each day. They used to go to another bowie elementary where the teachers did not do half what the teachers here do, this school is far better. Talk to other parents with children here, visit the school and see for yourself.

Posted May 10, 2005

I love Heather Hills Elementary School. My children have been attending there for 4 years. The principal and teachers do an outstanding job at the school. The academics is as good as any other school or maybe even better. I am pleased with the relationships that I have acquired with the staff over the years. I give praise to Mrs. Hosch and her staff every chance I get. Thumbs up to Heather Hills Elementary.

Posted September 16, 2004

I disagree with the first review. My daughter attends HH and I find the school to be very good and the staff not only caters to the TAG program, but to the entire student body. Yes, the school is a TAG/Magnet school, but in my opinion, it's one of the best elementary schools in PG County. Ms. Hosch is a fine principal and she ensures that the kids are always striving for excellence, as well as the teachers. Please be mindful that these teachers are doing their best and working very hard to make sure that our KIDS are prepared for middle and high school. Give them a little credit, because they sure aren't paid enough $$ to deal with all the issues/woes they endure on a daily basis! I Love Heather Hills! Keep up the Good Work! (smile)

Posted January 3, 2004

I originally enrolled my daughter in Heather Hills because of their high test scores hoping she would benefit since she is an average student. I quickly found out they only catered to the TAG program even though the majority of the school is average. Very disappointed!

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

n/a

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

n/a

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

12605 Heming Ln