No rating

St. Pius X School

Private | PK-8 | 656 students

Building Faith, Values, and Academic Excellence since 1962.

Living in Bowie

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $229,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted Friday, October 17, 2014

I love this school! My daughter hated her previous school, which happened to be a Prince George's county public school. She is now so enthusiastic about going to school daily in addition to what she's learning. My husband and I are so thankful to her teachers for bringing that spark and love of learning back to our child. We love that she is being challenged and nurtured at St. Pius. It has definitely been money well spent!

Posted September 25, 2014

As a private school, this one is dismal. Student/teacher ratios are ridiculously high throughout the entire school, and any additional one-on-one help is almost impossible to secure unless you are willing to PAY for it. The focus is on money, not children; getting recognition, not teaching children to love learning. Enrollment is guaranteed to ANYONE as long as the money is paid. Might as well be a public school, just with less qualified faculty and staff. Community of parents is cliquish, snobby, and redneck, and the kids reflect those values. Teachers deal with behavior issues all day and have no energy to care about teaching. If your child is not dead-set in the middle of every curve -- learning, scores, development, maturity -- go somewhere else as this school offers NOTHING for either gifted or less-than-average students. The extent of the care and concern is what you see when you walk through the halls -- there is nothing else. Resources and counseling are a joke. No gym, no cafeteria -- kids eat at desks and are not allowed to socialize. Ridiculous and leaves kids unprepared for future education. Run away. Public school is a better option, even in PG county.

Posted August 30, 2014

My child was taught at this school for 5 years. As we progressed into middle school most of the lessons are self taught. When I compared classroom notes to the text books they were almost verbatim. Classroom instruction is outdated. There is not a good use of hands on projects , laboratory study or technology. Teachers do not communicate with parents. Class room size is 35 kids per class, how can anyone learn in this environment. Would recommend to look elsewhere. We are finishing middle school somewhere else.

Posted April 30, 2014

My son has been having a wonderful experience at St. Pius X Regional School in Bowie, MD. He started here in Kindergarten and is currently in Middle School. Over the years, he has had some amazing teachers, who have gone above and beyond in creating engaging classroom environments. They have used a multisensory approach to learning, providing interactive lessons, while ensuring that students receive individual attention. I have been very pleased with the well rounded, challenging curriculum, and my son has been happy to have many opportunities to use technology in the classroom. Teachers often use "full class" sets of IPads and laptops for their lessons and students attend class in a state of the art computer lab at least once a week. Other 'special" weekly classes include Science Lab, Art, Music, and Physical Education. Throughout the school there is a spirit of cooperation, and we have really not encountered any discipline issues over the years. Perhaps what I enjoy most about our school is the community of people. We have met some wonderful families, and my son has made some great friends.

Posted March 22, 2014

If you are looking for a school where Academics is the main focus for success. St Pius is the school for you, my daughter is a new student and we are so pleased with her progress thus far. She has great teachers who are so passionate about teaching. My daughter is a straight A student. She is so focused on her school work. She loves the fact that her teachers are always willing to work with the students until they have a full understanding of what is expected. I am very excited about the school years to come.

Posted January 24, 2014

The parent involvement in the school is great. The teachers are so far wonderful. The school has a full library, science lab, art room, and great involvement.

Posted November 14, 2013

I am new to the area and recently went on a tour of this school for my son who will be entering Kindergarten in the fall of 2014. I must say, the warm welcome that I recevied not only from the staff, but also from the students was absolutely great! There was rigorus instruction taking place in every classroom on all grade levels and the students were actively engaged. What was most important to me was that the students AND the teachers all looked happy to be there on such a dreary, cold day! I loved the way that the teachers took time to talk to me about the curriculum and went through what a typical school day would look like for my son...despite the fact that my visit was unannounced! That really impressed me and showed me that they care about what parents think and how they feel. Yes, I want my son to be in a rigorus academic setting that will prepare him for high school. But, I also want him to be in a place where it is clear that the teachers care about their students and are loving and nuturing. St. Pius X Regional School definitely has my vote. And since I'm a 17 year instructor myself, I feel that I know exactly what to look for!

Posted January 5, 2013

St. Pius X is an excellent school that fosters the sense of community. It is easy to communicate with the teachers concerning specific needs for your child. The resource center and guidence counselor are able to set up plans to help your child succeed. The class size is somewhat large, but the children are in small groups (with a teacher's aide) for math and reading. There is a large science lab and fully equipped computer lab. St. Pius recently purchased iPads for use in the classrooms. Some classrooms are equipped with smart boards and projectors. There are many clubs and sports offered. The children get to participate in many special activities like community service projects, charity work, Christmas bazaar, Family Fun Day, talent show, and Field Day to name a few. The children have learned to care and respect one another. Everyday they learn how to grow their faith in God and with one another.

Posted January 20, 2012

My kids have been here for 2 years. The principle and a lot of teachers are unapproachable and do not communicate and parents are cliquish. My daughter s 7th grade homeroom teacher was non-communicative but her 8th grade teachers are gems. My son had a great 4th grade teacher, she showed a genuine concern for the kids. He is in 5th grade this year and I pulled him out because his teacher is ineffective. My son did not look forward to her classes, he said she doesn t care about them and he is afraid he will not do well in middle school if he stays in her class. This was a wake up call for me. He s never had issues in the past, so I was concerned when he started having so many issues in 5th grade. I brought this up to the vice principal who is great and does what she can. The school counselor is also non-communicative and didn t help much. On his last day of school, he was excitable at the end of gym and opened a door he wasn t supposed to, his gym teacher said to him I m not going to miss you . Since he left, he is happy and thriving with no issues and excited about learning again. This school is good for kids who are self sufficient, but not for kids who may need extra support.

Posted January 19, 2012

One of the best private/catholic school around here. It s a family school, to be more precise with focus on discipline. My kid enjoys every moment and for us, as parents, we are so pleased with this school. Teachers/staff are so friendly and open and besides all; are so helpful with the smile. The school is well organized from that time you drop your kid to the time you pick him up. You can see my kid is well progressing with what he's learning at school. They prepare them well, so as enough homework to be well self-governing too. Also, Parents are so involved here and that makes a big and a huge different to the school and to our kid too. (as we all know, " Involved parents. Successful kids".) Before and After care programs are excellent too where by kids involve in their homework completion, different activities, learn from other bigger class etc. I can go on, on and on....but in general...well done St. Pius X, Bowie. Its exactly what we were looking for to our kids education.

Posted January 8, 2012

I've been a school parent for a few years, and I am very happy. The Principal and the Vice Principal have dedicated their careers to Catholic education, and between them, they have many years of experience. The administration, teachers, and staff are responsive and dedicated professionals who regularly take professional education courses. In my experience, they often devote many hours beyond the regular school day to provide students with a great experience in class. Graduates are routinely accepted at the high school of their choice, and each year, graduating seniors earn hundreds of thousands of dollars in scholarships. The school has educated students for almost 50 years, and the school has a long track record of success. There are many long standing traditions that take place to enhance the school program (Christmas bazaar, Grandparents day, class masses, special lunches, tag days, Funday, school plays, field days, etc.) The facility is safe, clean, bright, and orderly. The schoolwork is challenging but appropriate. From what I have seen, the teachers run disciplined classrooms. Parents (and often grandparents) are very involved in volunteering at the school.

Posted January 5, 2012

I have been involved in the school for over 10years. The math and science are very week, especially in the middle school. The school is outdated along with a lot of the staff. The principal needed to retire years ago. He is unapproachable to staff, student and parents. Middle school teacher/student ratio is 1:35. They let anyone admitted in the middleschool. The teachers have deal with behavior issues instead of teaching.This is frustrating to the student who want to learn, so alot is self taught at home. The only thing added to the curriculum is 5th and 6th grade spanish., which actually should start in pre K. Thankgoodness this is our last year. My children have had a few excellent and motivating teachers and alot of good friends. The cost has risen a great deal, but the curriculum has not changed. I would research other schools.The tuition would not be as painful, if the education was worth it.

Posted August 2, 2011

We have had 3 children in St. Pius. One is now a junior in a Catholic high school while the other two attended through last year. The younger two have attended since Kindergarten and we have been happy up through third grade. The middle child just completed fifth grade and told us he does not want to go back. His words, "my teacher is not teaching!" Quite a wake-up call for us as parents. He would rather go to one of the public middle schools. All of his friends attend Pius but it's a non-issue for him. There are a few teachers that are somewhat parasitic institutions at the school and not held accountable for their shortcomings as educators. They take responsibility for student success but lay the blame on parents when there is failure. The one positive that we are leaving the school with is that our kids have made some good friends and a reinforced religious foundation(If it wasn't for the religious education it would have been one star). But that's not really what we are paying for. Just my opinion of having kids in the school over the past 6 years. The same parents volunteer all the time, not a bad thing but those that can afford to buy their way out.

Posted November 2, 2010

this school is a sad excuse for a private school...I am shocked that it s still around all the school work is self taught so the teachers don t have to do anything when your kids gets into the 5th grade the home work is about 3-4 hours each evening and the projects they give out is tooo much work for the kid also the kids have to do more than one project a month

Posted June 9, 2010

my daughter just completed pre-k at pius, and I LOVE it! the teachers and administrators are all great to work with, and my daughter has learned so much! With the parent participation requirement, most all parents are involved in the school in one way or another.

Posted May 11, 2010

St Pius is a great school. I am in the 7th grade and have been attending for two years. The teachers are very pleasant (They're tough however...) And the curriculum is excellent and challenging. The classes tend to be over-crowded at times (35 kids?!?), but nevertheless, St Pius provides a very good balance of extracurricular activities, academics, and religious faith. I would highly recommend this school to any parent looking for a great local school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 18, 2010

Overcrowded classes (35 kids!), no cafeteria or gym, cliquish elitist culture Some great teachers, some that should be canned immediately for humiliating and scorning some student scapegoats. Does NOT shield children from middle school sex and drugs: both are rampant among cool kids in upper grades, just hidden behind fa ade of uniforms. Diversity is a sensitive issue. When my child graduated from SPX, only 25 of 800 students were non-white, few were warmly welcomed into social circles. Constant weekly pressure to donate, raise money and volunteer or pay. Tuition has doubled in the past 5 years. Teacher help on homework and tutoring is not free. 4 years, hundreds of volunteer hours, thousands of dollars into our SPX experience, we still felt like strangers. Cold snobby cliques. Finally the thought of teachers & students bullying and ridiculing our child daily.

Posted March 24, 2010

St Pius is a disappointment!!! The teachers are rude and unmotivated... I rarely see any teacher smiling... a few things that need to improve in the school is replacing the carpet to tile in the classrooms, get a cafeteria, and get a new principle since kids are dropping like flies at this school... if you are going to pay extra money for a private school i would recommend you run far far away from St Pius and FYI the public schools around St Pius provide a better education

Posted September 16, 2009

I love St. Pius X School, because the teachers, administration and the parents are all investing in making a wonderful learning environment for our children.

Posted September 12, 2009

This school's faculty is outstanding and completely devoted to student's individual achievement. I am also pleased with the faculty's responsiveness to parental input. I have two children, now in the upper grades, and I can rest easy knowing that SPX has prepared them for the challenges that lie ahead - not just in school, but in life as well.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Cognitive disability
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Debate

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
DeMatha