Bowie, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted October 23, 2014
This is my son's first year at Northview Elementary in Bowie, MD. I am not happy AT ALL with the Principal. He grabbed my son's arm inappropriately during the first week of school and when it was brought to his attention immediately, he acted as if it never happened. In my humble opinion, he should not be the leader of this school. He lacks professionalism, the ability to build rapports with parents, problem solving skills and efficient leadership skills. I am disappointed with this Principal's behavior and leadership and have made the decision not to allow my son to return to this school next year. Parents, TULIP GROVE Elementary is a great example of how a school should be conducted and my son will be attending Tulip Grove next year. As far as the teachers are concerned, they are very nice, however; my son NEVER receives homework. Northview Elementary does not prepare our Pre-K children for Kindergarten and this is a huge problem!

Northview Elementary School 5

Posted June 27, 2014
My daughter truly enjoyed her 1st year of school in Kindergarten. The school is well run especially considering how large it is. We were happy with our teacher and the Principal puts an emphasis on learning for the beginners and making sure they get off on the right track. Also, kudos to the Principal for having full-time Art, Music, and P.E. Teachers when others are cutting back in those areas. The fields trips were good too. Love that there are no uniforms. We are excited about 1st grade!

Posted May 10, 2014
The whole school system is poorly run. They spend millions on technology but what the students need is more contact with adults in small group settings. The county is trying to do away with individual aids but they are absolutely necessary.There are at least 3 if not 5 to 8 students with discipline, emotional, or academic problems in every class. The good student does not get any attention because teachers are too busy controlling behaviors. The administration does not enforce the code of student conduct because suspending students keeps them from instruction, but the disruption that is caused by the several bad actors in each class keeps the 23 other students from learning and sets a bad example. The students soon figure out that there are no consequences for bad behavior and more students start behaving badly. This population of students needs an aid in every classroom and an in school suspension room to house the students who show that they don;t want to learn by their continued disruptive behavior.

Posted March 14, 2014
I am currently trying to figure out exactly how my husband and I can afford to pay for a private school education for our two children (one is school-aged and the other is almost there). Like the previous parent's assessment, I had high expectations for this school considering it's pretty new. The principal is, in my opinion, not very helpful. He often looks annoyed when trying to chat with him. I'm not very fond of the office staff either, though one is more rude and unprofessional than the offer. My child has a great teacher, but isn't a very gregarious child so he's/she's often forgotten about amongst the massive 29 child class size. There aren't any aids in the class or any for that particular grade level that I know of and it's a real shame. Given optimal circumstances, I'm sure our child's teacher would have a better academic outcome, but since she's not being given what she needs, the children suffer. It's my intention to pull our child out at the end of the school year.

Posted February 10, 2014
My child currently attends Northview Elementary and I am disappointed. We had what we consider to be normal expectations of the school, with it being newer we did think things would be better organized, have the latest, etc but it does not. Communication from teachers is hard to come by. As the head of the school, the Principal, started out strong with communicating news to parents through email, however the number of grammatical and spelling errors from him is alarming. The classroom sizes are at maximum capacity and the the teachers do not have any adult in the room to help them on a daily basis. We are lucky my child's teacher is phenomenal or he/she would undoubtedly be falling behind. The school needs more staff, more knowledge and training on how to best help their students with special needs and neurotypical students. Due to these concerns and others our child will not be attending Northview after this school year.

Northview Elementary School 2

Posted January 13, 2014
I had 3 children attend here from the first year it opened to spring 2011. Most of the teachers are excellent, however, it is overcrowded, and bullying that happens is out of control. My kids were bullied because they were a minority there. Many times they came home in tears. The kids would take their belongings from their desks, tear up their assignments etc. I would be there almost every day. I saw many fights, and the police were called often. The poor teachers don't have the support, that is why I always tried to help. The school district is run by the county, and it is pretty corrupt. The children are disrespectful to the teachers and parents. We finally moved out of state and in an excellent school system. What a difference, and am so glad to have happy children again

Northview Elementary School 5

Posted October 18, 2013
I love everything about this school! The principal and office staff are very friendly and always willing to help. So far the teachers I have talked to are extremely friendly and seem to know how to handle every situation. I have two children that attend this school, and the teachers and/or principal have immediately addressed every issue that I brought to their attention. The PTA is very active, but I know that if more parents were involved, this school would be even better. The only negative thing about this school is the number of children in each classroom, but the teachers handle it very well and still give each student the attention they deserve. Both of my children have tested above their grade level, so do not let the rating scare you. I think that the rating system is unfair because children that score highest are pulled out of the "regular" schools and moved to talented and gifted (TAG) programs at other schools.

Posted October 04, 2013
Most of the office staff is rude. There was no prep .of any sort for the new student . My son was not tested. The teachers are overwhelmed with bad student behaviour . It reflects poor parenting of children and most of the children do not listen to the teacher. The students are way below their grade level. They have excellent resources but cannot deliver it the children. Kids do bully their class mates. If you are a parent who wants excellent education ,values and are actively involved ,you simply watch nothing being offered. Though our son was in school (2011 -2012)we supplemented at home . I was actively involved in school and was there literally every week.)I did see all teachers are great , experienced but simply could not offer much to children .Though the principal was not very helpful but his hands were tied and I hear and seeing some improvements .But there is less hope unless the entire family/community change for the students to behave right and the teachers will be able to deliver education and of course test the kids and separate them acc. to their level.

Northview Elementary School 2

Posted May 24, 2012
This school is very disappointing. The teachers are overwhelmed and some lack the classroom management skills to deal with misbehavior. I have been in the school on numerous occasions and have heard teachers yelling at their students in classrooms and in the hallways. I also have had a chance to meet the principal and attend parent meetings and he seems to have very little knowledge on school policy and seems very arrogant when questioned. Again very disappointing, we should all expect better from our schools in PG County

Northview Elementary School 3

Posted April 13, 2012
My child has attended this school since Pre-K and is now in kindergarten. I really enjoy the teachers and I think they do their best given the large classes.They are very caring and enjoy what they do. However, I am not pleased with the new principal. I think the administration at Northview could use some revamping especially for children who are borderline ADHD or any other learning disability. I think they need more training or have teachers who specialize in that area. I would like to shout out the wonderful Ms. L. Shack, Ms. T. Rogers, and Ms. James.

Northview Elementary School
3700 Northview Dr, Bowie, MD  20716
Last modified Northview Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northview Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top