Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Northview Elementary School 4

Posted January 14, 2016
We are nearly 6 months into our first school year at Northview Elementary School and I could not be more pleased. Previously, my children attended a well-known (to the area) parochial school, because we bought into the hype that the local public school system wasn’t up to snuff. Looking back, I suspect that the people who were telling me the public schools were “bad” were actually telling me in code that the public schools had too many people of color. I think the majority of the teachers at Northview have advanced degrees and/or are Board Certified. We have found the school work that the children are doing is much more rigorous than at their old school (in fact, they were markedly behind in their studies compared to their peers and have spent the last two quarters playing catch-up). The technology and resources available at Northview are leaps and bounds ahead of what we were used to as well, and the children get some specials like P.E. and art twice a week instead of once. I have no complaints about the principal. I have found him to be engaged and he communicates with parents via a weekly e-mail that lists his office hours. The children’s teachers are great and also communicate with parents via weekly email (including pictures of what they are doing in the classroom) and are easy to schedule face-to-face time with. One of my children was particularly behind in reading and composition and the teacher sat down with me and gave me a step-by-step road map of what to do to get my child caught up. A negative - because the school serves so many people, you definitely don’t have that close-knit community feel that we experienced previously. Classroom sizes are larger, but no larger than what we were paying for at private school. I’d also like to see better test scores, but I think it is important to remember that there are a fair number of students for whom English is not the primary language spoken at home, and that could be a factor. Unless, you specifically, want your children to receive an education that includes religious instruction, I would recommend giving Northview and the other public schools in Bowie a chance. Being able to compare the two side-by-side, I feel we did not get our money’s worth from private instruction. My children are also much happier in their new school and, I don’t have to pack lunches anymore!

Posted October 27, 2015
Where do I start?...Lack of communication with parents (unless you consider robotic phone calls from an automated system "communication.") The principal will make every excuse in the book to not meet with you right away (assuming he needs time to prepare a response to your concerns). The teachers are fairly good but the principal and office staff can benefit from training on how to run a school. Oh, we won't talk about the grammatical errors on memos sent home. Unprofessional.

Posted September 28, 2015
The principal at Northview is just awful!! There are so many things wrong at the school it's unbelievable. There are some good teachers there but they lack good leadership which is evident in the day to day operation of the school. We are strongly considering moving or paying for our kids to go to a private school...it's just that bad!! PG County needs to get rid of that principal before more good families decide to leave the area.

Northview Elementary School
Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 14, 2015
The teachers work hard to do this but the principal undermines it with lack of discipline and leadership

Posted October 23, 2014
This is my son's first year at Northview Elementary in Bowie, MD. I am not happy AT ALL with the Principal. He grabbed my son's arm inappropriately during the first week of school and when it was brought to his attention immediately, he acted as if it never happened. In my humble opinion, he should not be the leader of this school. He lacks professionalism, the ability to build rapports with parents, problem solving skills and efficient leadership skills. I am disappointed with this Principal's behavior and leadership and have made the decision not to allow my son to return to this school next year. Parents, TULIP GROVE Elementary is a great example of how a school should be conducted and my son will be attending Tulip Grove next year. As far as the teachers are concerned, they are very nice, however; my son NEVER receives homework. Northview Elementary does not prepare our Pre-K children for Kindergarten and this is a huge problem!

Northview Elementary School 5

Posted June 27, 2014
My daughter truly enjoyed her 1st year of school in Kindergarten. The school is well run especially considering how large it is. We were happy with our teacher and the Principal puts an emphasis on learning for the beginners and making sure they get off on the right track. Also, kudos to the Principal for having full-time Art, Music, and P.E. Teachers when others are cutting back in those areas. The fields trips were good too. Love that there are no uniforms. We are excited about 1st grade!

Posted May 10, 2014
The whole school system is poorly run. They spend millions on technology but what the students need is more contact with adults in small group settings. The county is trying to do away with individual aids but they are absolutely necessary.There are at least 3 if not 5 to 8 students with discipline, emotional, or academic problems in every class. The good student does not get any attention because teachers are too busy controlling behaviors. The administration does not enforce the code of student conduct because suspending students keeps them from instruction, but the disruption that is caused by the several bad actors in each class keeps the 23 other students from learning and sets a bad example. The students soon figure out that there are no consequences for bad behavior and more students start behaving badly. This population of students needs an aid in every classroom and an in school suspension room to house the students who show that they don;t want to learn by their continued disruptive behavior.

Posted March 14, 2014
I am currently trying to figure out exactly how my husband and I can afford to pay for a private school education for our two children (one is school-aged and the other is almost there). Like the previous parent's assessment, I had high expectations for this school considering it's pretty new. The principal is, in my opinion, not very helpful. He often looks annoyed when trying to chat with him. I'm not very fond of the office staff either, though one is more rude and unprofessional than the offer. My child has a great teacher, but isn't a very gregarious child so he's/she's often forgotten about amongst the massive 29 child class size. There aren't any aids in the class or any for that particular grade level that I know of and it's a real shame. Given optimal circumstances, I'm sure our child's teacher would have a better academic outcome, but since she's not being given what she needs, the children suffer. It's my intention to pull our child out at the end of the school year.

Posted February 10, 2014
My child currently attends Northview Elementary and I am disappointed. We had what we consider to be normal expectations of the school, with it being newer we did think things would be better organized, have the latest, etc but it does not. Communication from teachers is hard to come by. As the head of the school, the Principal, started out strong with communicating news to parents through email, however the number of grammatical and spelling errors from him is alarming. The classroom sizes are at maximum capacity and the the teachers do not have any adult in the room to help them on a daily basis. We are lucky my child's teacher is phenomenal or he/she would undoubtedly be falling behind. The school needs more staff, more knowledge and training on how to best help their students with special needs and neurotypical students. Due to these concerns and others our child will not be attending Northview after this school year.

Posted January 13, 2014
I had 3 children attend here from the first year it opened to spring 2011. Most of the teachers are excellent, however, it is overcrowded, and bullying that happens is out of control. My kids were bullied because they were a minority there. Many times they came home in tears. The kids would take their belongings from their desks, tear up their assignments etc. I would be there almost every day. I saw many fights, and the police were called often. The poor teachers don't have the support, that is why I always tried to help. The school district is run by the county, and it is pretty corrupt. The children are disrespectful to the teachers and parents. We finally moved out of state and in an excellent school system. What a difference, and am so glad to have happy children again

Northview Elementary School
3700 Northview Dr, Bowie, MD  20716
Last modified Northview Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northview Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top