Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Thunder Hill Elementary School 3

Posted July 06, 2016
The administration at this school demonstrates no leadership. I have 3 kids who attended or are currently attending and have witnessed a steady decline in quality of teaching (actually an increase in a lack of teaching) and an increase in attempts to hide or obscure the decline. When my oldest first started, parent involvement was high and they were constantly inviting you in to the school to volunteer or observe. When Common Core was introduced the parent volunteers were kicked out of the school. When redistricting plans came up, very little information was shared via the PTA or administration. By limiting knowledge of what's going on they keep discussion and possible opposition to a minimum. This is occurring district wide in Howard County to one degree or another but the newly approved administration at Thunder Hill takes it to new levels. The condescending attitude towards parent and students is breathtaking to behold.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted July 06, 2016
Mrs Childs is a great addition to the staff. I hope she doesn't leave and continues to flourish. Mrs Derimigis the GT teacher is awesome too!

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 06, 2016
It's hit or miss. I believe that the younger ones are the result of declining quality of the university programs they come out of and the ridiculous ineffective garbage that is common core. As a former teacher with 12 years in the classroom it is noticeable.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted July 06, 2016
They teach kids weak definitions about bullying and fail to deal with real bullies. So my kids decry "mean words" but would be passively silent when another kid physically assaults them if I didn't teach them otherwise. The school's job is to provide a safe, secure environment to learn reading, writing and math. Bullies are a part Of growing up but to emphasize the imagined sleight at the expense of real ones is their MO

Thunder Hill Elementary School 5

Posted June 25, 2016
We as a family transferred to Thunder Hill in 2014. The teachers and parents have been very welcoming and helpful.

Thunder Hill Elementary School 3

Posted May 16, 2016
The school itself is nice the staff are extremely rude there additude seems as if there doing me a favor letting my kids come to this school! They also need a new drop off/pick up system... they have buses pulling in and 2 different drop off/pick up lines the "drop off" lane your child has to walk in front of several moving buses and depending on the line u may be ask to pull fwd to 2nd cross walk and I haven't seen a crossing guard there! So with that being said if your child isn't a bus rider plan on arriving early to get parked (along curb) the "bus lane" or come (late) after the cones have been picked up! One wrong move and the staff may chop off your head! Sorry but I like to makesure my kids get to and from school safe I'm a mom of 3 I've been doing this for years and I've never seen a system done like this.

Thunder Hill Elementary School 5

Posted June 17, 2015
Great teachers! The parents are supportive. The PTA is very active. We have great events like STEAM day & 5k/fun run.

Thunder Hill Elementary School 4

Posted June 16, 2015
My son has been at the school since kindergarten in 2009. We purchased our house based on the proximity to the school, the schools test scores and the student to teacher ratio. A lot has changed over the past 6 years. We have seen the physical building change, the teachers change, redistricting and also school practices and policies. The most notable change has to be the introduction of Common Core. While this is not subjective to Thunder Hill, it has had an affect on the entire landscape. I can see the great challenge its adoption has posed to the people and the schools culture. The grades, test scores, and curriculum have all suffered. That said, we have a 1yr old now and if asked the question "Would you send him to Thunder Hill?" the answer is yes. Despite the many challenges the staff and administration have maintained a positive supportive, safe and nurturing environment. The strong community involvement also aids in making sure the school maintains such high standards.

Thunder Hill Elementary School 4

Posted April 09, 2015
GREAT ACADEMICALLY! Not thrilled with the teacher last year. Current teacher is very astute and brings to my attention concerns that are on point regarding academics and has a good plan of action for improvement. There is bullying that has not been addressed. Discussed it with the principal a couple of times and there has been no correspondence with me or any plan of action. The problem still exists... Office staff is very COLD and condescending and not very approachable. It's as if they have an attitude when they see me walk through the door and are doing me a favor by taking the time out to speak to me... The biggest problem I have is when I forgot to give my child lunch money, they were insensitive and had no compassion; they would NOT give my child any lunch that day, but gave a cereal bar and told to inform me how much the lunch costs as if I was an idiot.... SERIOUSLY??? They could have collect the $2.75 from me the next day... I think its a very good school but the office and support staff either needs an inservice on customer service or needs to be replaced, principal included... AND a reminder that they would not have a job there if it weren't for our students.

Thunder Hill Elementary School 2

Posted April 08, 2014
the staff do not treat you well especially when you are outgoing and always "out there". Also if your parents are not American citizens. Most of the time the teachers will teach well but they think students should keep quiet and be respectful all the time. I think students should be allowed to express their feelings.

9357 Mellenbrook Rd, Columbia, MD  21045
Last modified Thunder Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.