Posted June 17, 2015
Great teachers! The parents are supportive. The PTA is very active. We have great events like STEAM day & 5k/fun run.

Thunder Hill Elementary School 4

Posted June 16, 2015
My son has been at the school since kindergarten in 2009. We purchased our house based on the proximity to the school, the schools test scores and the student to teacher ratio. A lot has changed over the past 6 years. We have seen the physical building change, the teachers change, redistricting and also school practices and policies. The most notable change has to be the introduction of Common Core. While this is not subjective to Thunder Hill, it has had an affect on the entire landscape. I can see the great challenge its adoption has posed to the people and the schools culture. The grades, test scores, and curriculum have all suffered. That said, we have a 1yr old now and if asked the question "Would you send him to Thunder Hill?" the answer is yes. Despite the many challenges the staff and administration have maintained a positive supportive, safe and nurturing environment. The strong community involvement also aids in making sure the school maintains such high standards.

Thunder Hill Elementary School 4

Posted April 09, 2015
GREAT ACADEMICALLY! Not thrilled with the teacher last year. Current teacher is very astute and brings to my attention concerns that are on point regarding academics and has a good plan of action for improvement. There is bullying that has not been addressed. Discussed it with the principal a couple of times and there has been no correspondence with me or any plan of action. The problem still exists... Office staff is very COLD and condescending and not very approachable. It's as if they have an attitude when they see me walk through the door and are doing me a favor by taking the time out to speak to me... The biggest problem I have is when I forgot to give my child lunch money, they were insensitive and had no compassion; they would NOT give my child any lunch that day, but gave a cereal bar and told to inform me how much the lunch costs as if I was an idiot.... SERIOUSLY??? They could have collect the $2.75 from me the next day... I think its a very good school but the office and support staff either needs an inservice on customer service or needs to be replaced, principal included... AND a reminder that they would not have a job there if it weren't for our students.

Thunder Hill Elementary School 2

Posted April 08, 2014
the staff do not treat you well especially when you are outgoing and always "out there". Also if your parents are not American citizens. Most of the time the teachers will teach well but they think students should keep quiet and be respectful all the time. I think students should be allowed to express their feelings.

Posted November 06, 2013
This school is a hidden gem. The teachers are very caring & want your children to succeed. I had two children attend from K-5, one had an IEP and the other was in GT classes. They both were successful. It shows that this school can meet whatever needs you place before them. I'm great flu to the entire staff. The parents are very active in the school & there are always opportunities to volunteer.

Posted June 12, 2013
Excellent school with great administration and staff. The after school program is an excellent addition to the already stellar environment.

Posted September 09, 2012
One of the best! Tied for #7 in the entire state of MD!!! We love the teachers, staff and principal at THES! To the previous reviewer... No, they are NOT nixing the G/T program! It's wonderful! My kids have had the bet experiences here! We love it!

Thunder Hill Elementary School 1

Posted May 18, 2012
I wouldn't wish this terrible school on anyone. There is horrible leadership and poor academic programs. I've even hear they are nixing the GT programs next year.

Posted September 23, 2011
Thunder Hill Elementary is a small tight knit school full of parent involvement. The principal is excellent and a great motivator. We have two of our children currently enrolled and our third will be starting Kindergarten in a couple years. We couldn't be more pleased with the education our kids are receiving. The teachers and staff are amazing!

Posted April 14, 2010
THES is the best! Exceptional learning experience from the basics to fine and performing arts. My daughter transitioned just fine from private school and greatly improved her skills under the exceptional guidance of her teachers. Mrs. Parsons is a wonderfully gifted and caring teacher. Thanks to you and all the great teachers and admin staff at THES!

Thunder Hill Elementary School
9357 Mellenbrook Rd, Columbia, MD  21045
Last modified Thunder Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thunder Hill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top