Macarthur Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted May 13, 2010

MacArthur is indeed a very unique school,it had quite more to offer,I'm an 8th grader here and this is our last full month of middle school,and I admit,some of the teachers are kind of starting teacher bigority at our school,and the voilence dosent occur that much,but it does in some occasions,but its mostly a voilent free school =D,I recommend you send your child here!,they have a uniform policy so your child dosent have to worry about what he/she wears,and there is diffrent cliques wich can be good and bad at the same time,the good is that,your child will fit in no matter what =D,the bad children can feel left out,well go macarthur we won t forget you at meade and arundel next year,and I want to thank you for the nice expirence there,God bless everyone there!

Posted April 24, 2010

My children attended macarthur and it is one of the worst schools ever. Teacher bigotry, one of the worst schools...Stay away from this school..Bad,,,bad.,,,Bad

Posted April 19, 2010

This school is very poor in test scores & has alot of bad behavior students, & teachers that are raciest and dont care about the stundents and that mess up the whole school

Posted April 18, 2010

My child went to McArthur Middle for the first time this year, 6th grade. She struggled for 3 months while I pleaded with teacher/admin for help; no one told me there was any such thing as an IEP or 504 program. I had to pay Sylvan Learning Center $500/mo to learn everything the school owed me when a child is struggling. I finally got approved for a school transfer after they agreed to test her for a disability (another 3 months). By the time we got help, it was 4th qtr. In addition, there is an extremely low grade of discipline and student control in the building. My child never felt safe, had a hard time concentrating, and making friends due to uncontrolled fights, bullying, teacher bigotry, and acceptable foul language. Do whatever you can to stay away from this school. Horrible!

Posted March 24, 2010

Kids try to make son be in a fight because he has never been in a fight, he says no, so they try to make other kids fight with him. My sons see fights there weekly, no wonder! The school work is too easy, my children learned this material back when they were in elementary school, my sons are in 6th and 8th grade. They are beyond bored and in the honor classes. What a shame, we are moving to a better school district, I highly recommend that families stay away.

Posted June 7, 2009

This school did change my life--to be stronger, defensive, and focus more on academics (English was very tough in 8th grade). However, the school's behaviour was ridiculously out of hand. There were fights probably once or twice that occurred each month, and it actually takes a while for the staff to break it up. I was able to tell the teachers were even afraid of some of the students. I guess MacArthur is a good experience to build up courage/deal with the real world, but sometimes, it's too much to handle. From so much disrespect in this school, I've had depression problems, to be honest. Just giving a warning to your children/you.

Posted May 9, 2009

I am a Myp student from Glen Burnie and im in my sixth grade year. MacArthur Middle School is not bad at all. The teachers work very hard and things are very productive. I woould just say that they need to work on building appearence and parent notifications on activities. As long as you stay focused, there is no problem with getting honor roll. I havent gotten anything less than a B on my report cards. I even started out the year with straight A's. Parents should come and visit before they make up their minds that our school is bad. Go 6th grade class of 09!

Posted May 2, 2009

anyone that put more than one star on this survey need to open there eyes and be aware of the behavior going on in this school. I am even black and i Am saying that this school needs major improvement. I feel as if this school needs to close and never open back up until it is ready to cahnge majorely. It is an embarassment to our new president Obama and all black people who want to succedd in life every where. I strongly suggest that you do not send your child here and this is coming from a someone who has seen and experience dit all.

Posted May 1, 2009

I hear horror storys of MacArthur..I was terrified for my son going into 6th grade..I raised my son to be a leader not a follower..He is a honor roll student n by far this has been the best school year of both our lives..Parents hear stories of Macarthur n are so quick to judge. The littliest thing that happen with their child they say Macarthur is a bad school..Go to some of the middle schools off post n then judge Macarthur..Just because this is a school on a military base they think their child is protected..Get over it parents..Raise ur kids to be leaders n not easily influence..My son handles his self as the young man we are raising him to be..It starts at home..From a military spouse who dont allow the miltary life to influence her judgment..

Posted April 8, 2009

My daughter will graduate from MacArthur this Spring...Thank God! She transferred in from a prominent district in the region. If I could do it all over again, I would've home-schooled her. The past two years were difficult with the bullying and soft bigotry of low expectations but there was a quality administrator/dean that was respected and to some degree feared by the students. This year she moved on to become a principal in DC. If it were up to me, I would fire the principal and shutter the school for a year. It is run down, it lacks the amenities that most middle schools have such as a auditorium, a track, etc. The tennis courts have patches of grass growing in the cracks. There are some quality, dedicated teachers at MacArthur but as an engaged parent, it is obvious that they are not supported by the principal.

Posted February 27, 2009

I believe the bullying and fighting is continous and is starting to get ridiculous. Thet teachers offer a decent academic profil but...

Posted February 26, 2009

I believe that those teachers who posted lately good ratings only did that to save thier jobs. This school has been bad for many years. I have two that attend now and had one who attended years ago and he is in college now. He had issues going into high school because he thougth it would be just as bad as McArthur and it wasn't. He went to Arundel High however not on base. Some of the teachers listen but only after there's a problem, I should not have child get near a D when I've told and told them to contact me if it gets to a C and my child is normally an honor roll student. I get emails if I email first not the other way around. It takes maybe 1 min to email that your child is having issues. We spend that much texting/ email friends/surfing.

Posted February 24, 2009

the teachers are great to students and students go through a real educational experiance with a college level of work

Posted November 21, 2008

Parents should read the research about what makes a school strong before placing blame. You will find that the success and climate of a school is driven by the strength its leadership above all else. A uniform policy that can only be addressed by teachers during a 26 minute time frame, that occurs 86 minutes into the school day is ludicrous. Unless you are active in the school, you may be unaware of the many demands made on teachers daily. There are dedicated teachers at this school who give more than a parent could ever imagine to ensure a quality education is provided for ALL students. Ask to see a teacher's MSA stats before judging them. Being easy and giving little work does not make a good teacher. Expecting students to master required materials and giving them the tools they need are what makes a good teacher

Posted November 20, 2008

I am a current staff member at MacArthur and we contrary to what many parents have stated on this site, we DO NOT have fights daily in the hallways. The term bullying has been over-used, we do have kids who are picked on and mocked, and although this is not appropriate, this happens not just at our school but at h8undreds of middle schools in Anne Arundel County and across the country. MacArthur does lack a cohesive staff however, it is not a dangerous school and you should not feel intimidated about sending your child here. As a parent and a staff member, like in any situation, parents need to carefully research schools prior to enrolling their child. Instead of reading all of the negative comments, as a parent you should visit the school, meet with administration, counselors and teachers then make a decision.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 11, 2008

MacArthur is not bad at all...i would just say it needs work on the staff members and the building its self! CLASS OF 09!

Posted September 18, 2008

I think MacArthur is a great school with great teachers! :-D

Posted June 19, 2008

I am a parent/teacher at this school and I would rate this school between a 2/3. MacArthur is a good school however, it could be much much better. I agree with parents who state that there are issues with administration and not backing their staff. I agree that some students do attempt to run the school and that some teachers need to be replaced however, we are striving to do the best that we can with what we have. What I do encourage is that students as well as parents to write the school board as well as Dr. Maxwell - School Superintendent and Dr. Ciafrani-Area Director and voice how you feel about your school. That is the only way changes will be made. Parents if you want to see changes made within your child's school, my advice is for you to get involved, get involved, get involved.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 10, 2008

i am a graguate of macarthur and i would have to say that it is a very wonderful school.i say this cause it is true.the staff there is great.there were a lot of fights though and people did get expelled but all in all i would have to say that macarthur is an excellent school to attend.so i recomend macarthur to all parents if you want your child to have a good education.so now that you know how i see this school...Stop saying bad things about it!!!!

Posted January 22, 2008

I attended this school for 8th grade a few years back. I had no problem in my learning environment. MacArthur is not for the student easily distracted. If your child has focus and the want to learn, then they will be perfectly fine. While it is distracting they offer great Art Programs, P.E. programs, and several others things. Although I was very disappointed to hear their policy had changed that no longer enabled previous students to visit with teachers.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3500 Rockenbach Rd