Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Develops character: Agree

The school has a code of conduct where students learn a SOAR pledge- Safe, Organized, Accountable, Respectful. Each day, students start their day "Soaring." If they do a great gob, they go to "wow". If they've been given 2 or more warnings, students need to "reflect" on their behavior. Expectations are rules are simple and consistent.

Teachers set high expectations for the students and are more than happy to discuss any concerns and answer questions. There were a lot of staff changes last year along with a new principal. There are many after school clubs, a strong music/arts program, and an IB program where students are even learning Mandarin. I am impressed with all the great things that have happened in the past 2 years. Everyone seems happy to be there and want to do what is best for students. It would be nice to see more parents attend PTA Meetings.

This is the worse school my kids have ever ever been in. The front office staff were nasty to the parents. Going through so many different principles is so unbelievable it's not even funny. If you don't hang out with the teachers after school and party with them they are very rude to you and your child. Both my kids were straight A students and when we moved and after testing at their new school we learned my girls were a year and half behind in learning. My oldest daughter got bullied so bad I had to quit my job because these girls would follow my kids to my house. I brought it to the school and the school board and they didn't do anything about it and told me kids will be kids. This child told my oldest to should kill herself. They were in 3rd grade. My oldest daughters first day of kindergarten the school lost 2 kids. How do you lose two kindergartens? They us to call the mp's to help locate these kids. So many people pulled their kids out to homeschool or moved off base to a better school. I was getting my kids one day after school the principle was telling a mother should could never set on school property again and if she did she would be arrested and she would have to stand across the street in the mornings and after school to wait for her child.

Manorview has been a good spot for all three of my kids. One has high functioning autism, and has had an amazing teacher each of her three years here. My son struggles with being bored, but his teachers have been good to challenge him and expect his best. My youngest just started this year here as well, and has an amazing teacher who has picked up on some issues that she has and is helping get them addressed. Mr. Gruber is a good principal who leads from the front. He is the one welcoming the kids in the morning at the car drop off and is outside and available to any parent after school. He addresses concerns professionally and has really done a great job taking over the school when the last principal left and took 1/3 of the teachers two years ago. Honestly, I think the school is even better than before. There are some amazing after school clubs for the kids to get involved in, the music program is excellent, and the school is small enough that everyone knows everyone. My ONLY compliant is that there is no gifted and talented program.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers have to want to be IB teachers and undergo additional training in order to teach at a IB-PYP school. They know how to foster creative thinking in their students. I was grateful for my daughters 5th grade teacher last year. My daughter was disruptive at times due some anxiety issues, but they were handled professionally and my daughter still was able to excel in school.

Amount of homework: Agree

My daughters both have enough time to finish their homework and play outside before dinner time. Homework is easy to understand and reinforces the classwork.

Develops character: Strongly agree

IB Character Traits develop a world view and demand students exhibit positive character traits. Their goal is to create good global citizens.

Teachers and support staff are awesome! They are open to any idea that may make the school better! Mr Gruber (the new principal) has energized the school. It is an International Baccalaureate Pre-Years Program School and the only one on post that is. If you graduate the 5th grade here, you are automatically enrolled in the Middle Years Program at MacArthur Middle School. Otherwise you would have to enter the magnet school selection program. I strongly encourage you to look into the school and ask current parents. The facility is older, but they are in the middle the planning process for rebuilding. Teacher quality matters more, to me, than building quality. The facilities are adequate, but the quality of the education is tremendous. Your children will learn Mandarin and play an instrument if they so desire. The art teacher is amazing.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The school wide system of behavior intervention is confusing, to say the least. There was some sort of eagle feather reward system. But, it never made sense to myself or my kids. There should be something simple and concise in place. Student behavior is out of control. One walk down the hallways during school hours will reveal the fact that the teachers have very little control of their classrooms. Usually, this indicates little administrative support in addition to poor teacher training. Children should be built up and encouraged. They should be inspired by positive adults that ensure a safe environment for them at school each day. This vital aspect of any public school is sadly missing at MVES.

The school building is old and unkempt. I went to have lunch with my daughter, and she was seated with two other female students. One of the students was extremely loud, unfiltered and had not clue about "personal space". These were the TWO students that my child had to sit with every single day. My daughter is social, personable, interactive, polite, and creative. All of these traits were being completely stifled. The school was dirty - hallways dusty and cobwebs, bathrooms very filthy. I checked in on my daughter as she had to use the facilities during lunch. I saw that the sink was stuffed with dirty brown paper towels. There was no soap to wash hands, anyway. I didn't get a sense of "school community" here. No sense of pride in school community from parents OR teachers OR administrative staff and therefore no sense of pride in students. I pulled my two kids out of by the fifth week of school! As a public school educator, I support public education! However, it was obvious that the less-than-stellar staff and incompetent admin at MVES would do more harm than good for students. Don't waste your time, if you are thinking about sending your kids here.

Last modified Manor View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.