Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 10, 2015
Mr Gruber honors veterans on Veteran's Day with a ceremony at the start of school. Although the school is in session on Veteran's Day (thanks School Board) he makes an effort to honor the veterans. Mrs. Ross is always looking for ways to make the school better and will work tirelessly to meet with parents towards that end.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 10, 2015
Teachers have to want to be IB teachers and undergo additional training in order to teach at a IB-PYP school. They know how to foster creative thinking in their students. I was grateful for my daughters 5th grade teacher last year. My daughter was disruptive at times due some anxiety issues, but they were handled professionally and my daughter still was able to excel in school.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 10, 2015
My daughters both have enough time to finish their homework and play outside before dinner time. Homework is easy to understand and reinforces the classwork.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 10, 2015
IB Character Traits develop a world view and demand students exhibit positive character traits. Their goal is to create good global citizens.

Posted November 10, 2015
Teachers and support staff are awesome! They are open to any idea that may make the school better! Mr Gruber (the new principal) has energized the school. It is an International Baccalaureate Pre-Years Program School and the only one on post that is. If you graduate the 5th grade here, you are automatically enrolled in the Middle Years Program at MacArthur Middle School. Otherwise you would have to enter the magnet school selection program. I strongly encourage you to look into the school and ask current parents. The facility is older, but they are in the middle the planning process for rebuilding. Teacher quality matters more, to me, than building quality. The facilities are adequate, but the quality of the education is tremendous. Your children will learn Mandarin and play an instrument if they so desire. The art teacher is amazing.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 23, 2015
The school wide system of behavior intervention is confusing, to say the least. There was some sort of eagle feather reward system. But, it never made sense to myself or my kids. There should be something simple and concise in place. Student behavior is out of control. One walk down the hallways during school hours will reveal the fact that the teachers have very little control of their classrooms. Usually, this indicates little administrative support in addition to poor teacher training. Children should be built up and encouraged. They should be inspired by positive adults that ensure a safe environment for them at school each day. This vital aspect of any public school is sadly missing at MVES.

Manor View Elementary School 1

Posted July 23, 2015
The school building is old and unkempt. I went to have lunch with my daughter, and she was seated with two other female students. One of the students was extremely loud, unfiltered and had not clue about "personal space". These were the TWO students that my child had to sit with every single day. My daughter is social, personable, interactive, polite, and creative. All of these traits were being completely stifled. The school was dirty - hallways dusty and cobwebs, bathrooms very filthy. I checked in on my daughter as she had to use the facilities during lunch. I saw that the sink was stuffed with dirty brown paper towels. There was no soap to wash hands, anyway. I didn't get a sense of "school community" here. No sense of pride in school community from parents OR teachers OR administrative staff and therefore no sense of pride in students. I pulled my two kids out of by the fifth week of school! As a public school educator, I support public education! However, it was obvious that the less-than-stellar staff and incompetent admin at MVES would do more harm than good for students. Don't waste your time, if you are thinking about sending your kids here.

Manor View Elementary School 4

Posted June 22, 2014
I attended Manor View Elementary as a fifth-grade student from 2000-2001. Though I can't speak for the current curriculum or teachers (a quick look at their website told me that none of my teachers are there any longer), but I would like to speak to the school's unusual set-up, which it appears is still being used. I was told while attending that the cubicle-style pod architecture was a popular design in the 1970's, but I've yet to see it elsewhere. It took some time to get used to. The classrooms were very small as a result. And with the combination of four classrooms worth of noise, it could get distracting. Especially if another class was watching a video. However, it did mean that it made inter-class collaboration a lot easier; at the time, I switched classrooms daily for science, math, and social studies, which were taught by other teachers. If your child has a hard time focusing with a lot of noise, Manor View might not be the best learning environment for them. Personally, I liked my teachers, but like I said, none of them are there anymore.

Posted April 17, 2013
My son has been at Manor View for 3 years and has loved it. We were here with both principals and Mrs. O'Shea is absolutely amazing. The entire atmosphere at the school changed when she arrived. She is very approachable and you can be sure that when you go to her with a grievance that it will be addressed. The guidance counselor, Ms. Wallace, is also incredible. Each teacher that my son has had is above bar. They do a wonderful job of instilling a love of learning, not just teaching for a test. They are also very easy to get in contact with. We are sorry to be leaving here.

Posted April 17, 2012
My daughter went to Manor View for 2 years and we absolutely loved it. The principal was everything the other posters have mentioned and it was definitely a great day for Manor View when she was removed. I loved how involved the teachers were with my daughter. Despite moving half the world away we miss Manor View. The teachers at this school (especially the art teacher) are the only reason I'd even consider moving back to Fort Meade.

2900 MacArthur Rd, Fort Meade, MD  20755
Last modified Manor View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 1-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Manor View Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top