Meade High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 25, 2014

Great school! People need to look beyond its "bad reputation"... so many rumors are NOT true!!

Posted June 17, 2014

First let me say Meade HS consists of two different schools. The "regular" school which is average to below average and the school that contains the IB program which is very strong. I would only let my child matriculate at Meade if they were definitely participating in the IB program in the 11th-12th grade. The caliber of teacher is higher for the IB program and they're more involved and dedicated. Also they're less taxed with behavioral problems so they can effectively teach. This year one of the IB students graduated and is going to HARVARD UNIVERSITY!! So this tells you the quality of instruction at Meade (on the IB level). So the moral of this post is...if your child wants a quality education it can be found at Meade...but mostly in the IB program. Also the principal John Yore is top notch...he cares and is working tirelessly to improve the climate at Meade HS for ALL students. Im only rating this school above average due to the IB program.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 16, 2014

My son has been in this school for his junior year after a job transfer from CA. As others have said you make it to the most of your ability (as with anything else). His AP and honor teachers have all been great and caring. They respond very quickly if you email or call them.The teachers are very involved if the parents are. The teachers and coaches are very caring. So far my son experience has been great!

Posted March 21, 2014

What you make of it. Really appreciate all the improvements and upgrades. Would be better if more parents participated or were interested in the progress of the school.

Posted February 7, 2014

I am a military child, and I moved to Ft. Meade from Europe. As a result of living on post, my brother and I were made to go to Meade Senior High (or a private school if we wanted to attend elsewhere but still live on base). We spent only the first semester of freshman year at Meade High. After having attended only DODDS schools our whole lives, coming to Meade was a shock. Not only were the standards incredibly lower than that of what we were used to, but the overall atmosphere of the school held a different, less challenging tone. I myself was enrolled in all honors classes, and while I did like many of my teachers, it was obvious that unless you outwardly showed that you were invested in your education, personal standards of mediocrity and even failure where acceptable. I will give the school the credit to the fact that they are, indeed, diverse, but one begins to wonder after attending Meade High whether or not the social standards of particular races are beginning to be adapted in to the classroom environment. That, I believe, is the source of all the allegations of 'racism' within the school. My brother and I are still freshman and will be attending Severna Park High School.

Posted December 25, 2013

This is a terrible high school. I went here freshman year. I am now a senior at Broadneck High School in Annapolis. It is okay for the students who are in advanced classes but if you are in standard/IEP classes, the education stinks The teachers have to spend a lot of the class time for the students to calm down, and they can barely teach cause the students disturb class The environment is not a happy setting and not a healthy setting for students who want to work hard. The students were not bad, no people are bad, I loved the students but they made bad decisions. It's just that some of the students disturbed class, harassed students, and got in the way of the education. This high school is far from "normal." The staff were nice for the most part but failed to see the students were disturbed and harassed the students who weren't. When I moved to Broadneck my sophomore year, everything went smoothly and I felt like I was a student at a normal high school If you're looking for a high school with a friendly environment for your child to feel safe and happy in, Meade isn't the one.

Posted August 6, 2013

I am sorry to say that i did NOT enjoy my time at Mead HS. The staff has a hard time fixing problems and the state of Meade's facility is very old and needs to be updated. It seems like no one is willing to find a solution to these issues.

Posted July 25, 2013

Both my kids graduated from Meade HS. This is a very diverse school, and students need to learn to make important choices. There are plenty of examples of students who have made the wrong ones. Daughter graduated college with honors, her last two years on full scholarship. Son, who has learning disabilities, graduated UMBC and makes six figures. Meade HS gave them good academic preparation, and realistic social preparation for REAL LIFE.

Posted December 10, 2012

I was a student from 2006-2010, which in my opinion, was the turning point of the school. My freshman year was full of fights, even a huge one erupted during the final week of testing which left the school with a bad reputation. Since then, the school adopted the IB (International Baccalaureate) program, still has the AP classes and other Honor leveled classes. Most of the teachers I have come across are enthusiastic about their work and are eager to be there along with students. There's always going to be those students up to no good, and that teacher that rubs you the wrong way, but honestly not to the point where Meade's average is at three stars. There are volunteer clubs, math clubs, football, soccer, track, etc. The only thing the school lacks in my opinion is family involvement in most areas, although in band, along with others, there is plenty involvement. It was a bad high school that has come a long way, and I am happy that I attended it all four years and graduated in the top 10% of my class.

Posted July 29, 2012

Meade has a bad reputation that it does NOT deserve. I understand that in the past there were problems in the school but the school I see today is nothing like that. Every high school in this system has issues and Meade is no different on that point. BUT Meade has a lot to offer its students that want to be involved in academics, sports, music and just about any other activity you can name. I volunteer from time to time at Meade and I have to say that I am always pleasantly surprised at the kindness and consideration shown by many of the students. Sure, there are a handful of kids that should not be there - or at any other school because they are plain and simple thugs. Far and away though the students are polite and well mannered. What Meade lacks is parental involvement and parental support. I think if the parents were to step up and be more involved that Meade would be one of the premier schools in our system. Until that happens though, Meade will probably suffer from the misconception that it is a "ghetto" school. I really resent that remark because it was obviously made based on a particular "look" and not on fact.

Posted May 31, 2012

I hope that this new principal can get this school in order. It is a horrid place. Between the out of control students to teachers having meltdowns in classes and screaming at the kids, it is just horrid. There are a few great teachers here and we feel sorry for the things they have to put up with. Fights in the classrooms, students stealing from other students during class. Students provoking fights before school, at lunch, after school. Students skipping school as well as students leaving school grounds to access the unguarded gate area into the military on base housing to commit theft and vandalism. It used to be that when you called the school with an issue they got back to you right away, within 48 hours at most, not here. Here you can expect to wait anywhere from 48 hours on up to two months for a call back about an issue. They are so concerned with being able to say that x amount of their students go off to collage because they force the students to apply to collage even if they do not want too, all so they can say they have x% of students pursuing collage education. It is all about numbers and the quality is just about gone. To sum it up, this school is ghetto.

Posted September 9, 2011

I am a proud graduate of Meade high school and I have to say that it is a very nice school. Plus to all those stupid people who keep saying "oh Meade is bad it sucks." You all can shut up!!! So Meade may not be the most rainbows and unicorns school in the world. But in my oppinion it was a good experience and I met a lot of nice people and teachers who care about the students and their education. The four years I spent there were the best ever! I will never forget all the teachers and other students who helped me to graduate and move on. And I am proud as can be to say that I am a Mighty Meade Mustang!!!!!!

Posted September 4, 2011

My kids are out of area kids in the IB Programme and to be honest, I was very reluctant to send them here. When we were house hunting a few years back, my only criteria was that the neighborhood NOT feed into Meade HS. I am now willfully busing them into this school. The principal is top notch, the teachers are engaged and the kids are polite and eager to learn. I know, bad news travels faster than good, but I think all the bad rap was from issues that happened years ago. I feel my kids are getting a top notch education, and we are not paying private school rates. As for the rasicm remarks, we are white and I do not see it. Considering the school is predominately anything BUT white, not sure where that came from! I do wish more parents would be involved, that would be the one area that could use improvement.

Posted September 2, 2011

I've heard this school has issues with racism and behavior. Anybody have views from this school year on this?

Posted July 27, 2011

this school is really bad. they need repairs and the students there are not behaved im going back this year as a sophmore andd hoping for some change!!!!!

Posted May 25, 2011

The school has low standards for itself and the students. The building is in poor condition and it seems that nobody want to take the initiave to make it better.

Posted March 21, 2011

My son attended Ft. Meade High and graduated in 2006. He is graduating from Penn State in May 2011 and will attend grad. school this fall. While Ft. Meade isn't utopia, there are enough positive resources for students to succeed if they wish. The only disappointment as a parent was that more parents were involved in the school. My son was in the marching band and only about 20 parents consistently showed up to competitions. At that time there were over 100 students in the band.

Posted January 17, 2011

Re: military families remark.... NOT true that most kids are from Pioneer city! Kids come from all over.. Severn,Hanover, Laurel ( Russett) which is a NICE neighborhood! And the IB program attracts students from all over! And who do you think you are? You think military kids are better than Pioneer City kids?? OH! PLEEASSSEEE!! My daughter is in her second year, and loves it! She is an athlete and an IB student... coaches and teachers are great! There has not been any fights or other discipline problems @ Meade High! It is a tightly run ship!

Posted December 10, 2010

The school is good but is starting to get overcrowded by students. The school is attemting to find one... I Hope.

Posted April 11, 2010

I go to Meade Senior High School now (class of 2012) and i think it's a great school. the staff and teachers all do their best to make us pass and to have a great time here.

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

414 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

437 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 30%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music