Gaithersburg, MD

South Lake Elementary School 1

Posted September 14, 2014
As a teacher at this school for 6 years I worked with several dedicated and excellent teachers. The principal is a bully to both staff and students. There has been high changeover in staff and morale is very low. This school needs strong and supportive leadership.

South Lake Elementary School 3

Posted June 11, 2014
The teachers at South Lake are wonderful, they go above and beyond my expectations. The Principal has however left a dry taste in my mouth. You would think that someone in her position would know how to talk with her students parents instead of trying to bully them into what she believes to be the truth. I am seriously thinking about taking my child to another school where instead of blaming the parents the administration would actually work to find out what the problem may be. I see why there is a bullying issue when the principal herself is a bully.

South Lake Elementary School 5

Posted May 28, 2010
I worked here for several years before I moved out of the state of Maryland. I can honestly say that I have not since worked with a group of such professional, collaborative or dedicated teachers. I learned so much working here and I would work there again in a heartbeat if I were ever to move back to Maryland. I would recommend this school to any parent.

South Lake Elementary School 5

Posted May 26, 2010
This school has the best teachers. They all are highly qualified and very engaged and committed. This could be due to the fact that this is a Title 1 school. Academic programs are rigorous and a fair amount of homework is given each day even to kindergartners. A big emphasis is on Math. Parent involvement is an issue at times perhaps because of the language barrier. However all this is made up for due to the wonderful teachers that they have. Principal is not very effective or engaged in my opinion. They have a very dynamic Vice Principal though.

South Lake Elementary School 2

Posted May 21, 2010
I really hate giving any school such a bad rating, especially when the teachers seem to be so dedicated. However, the administration does not respond to parental concerns. Bullying is a major issue within the school - yet I have seen very little in the way of consequences (and have even seen the victims get blamed for lying when they go to teachers). The principal does not seem to have any control over her school and visitors and volunteers are permitted to wander around without any control.

South Lake Elementary School 2

Posted April 26, 2010
The teachers here are wonderful, hard working and dedicated to the kids, but there is a serious bullying issue that makes things rough on the kids.

South Lake Elementary School 0

Posted May 08, 2008
I have a third grader in this school and he has had some of the best teachers in my opinion. From his first teacher there to the one he chas now there has been nothing but genuine care for my child. The teachers at this school take a hands on apporach with the kids education.

South Lake Elementary School
18201 Contour Rd, Gaithersburg, MD  20877
Last modified South Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Lake Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top