Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The principal is a bully to staff and students. Teachers are afraid of her Because she is so intimidating.

I was really worried when I first found out that my child would be attending this school. We happen to live in little pocket that goes there (I thought we were supposed to go to the school around the corner). But, she got an amazing teacher for kinder, Mrs. Wallace, and we are very impressed with the her and the entire team. The teams of each grade are organized and you can tell that they have worked together a long time because of their camaraderie. Overall, I'm happy to have my child attend this school!

I love South Lake ES! The Principal and Vice Principal are so dedicated!!! The teachers and staff are very talented and committed. My children have blossomed academically and socially in this school and I cannot imagine sending them anywhere else!

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I'm just glad my son is now moving on to middle school. This school used to be great school. It would still be if only because of a lot of the old time teachers who are really dedicated to their profession. Three of my kids used to go to this school. My kids were in the accelerated class and my 2nd even pass and went to Clear Spring for the magnet program. There were 3 of them at that time. They were the last to get into the program. That was the end of the school being great because the principal went to another school. The principal got changed 2x after that and the school got worse each time. My son deserved to be in the accelerated class but they removed the program just because they believed all children are the same. My son is bored all throughout the school year. They didn't give enough homework or project to do at home. My son took to his play station to occupy his time. I gave my son homework and reading materials to work on instead. But since it didn't give him school credit, it didn't do much to motivate him. This school should change the way they do things. The students are just happy to finish their 5th grade and finally move to another school. Students deserve more and the school should not not underestimate their students capabilities to learn more.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My son started Kindergarden last year at South Lake Elementary. it was a horrible experience for him. It is heart braking how a 6 years old in Kindergarden is having a bad experience in his first year of school. He didn't like his teacher she would yell at them the whole time. He was bully by older kids. I when to the school and explained the situation and how my son was feeling about it. They promised to do something but they never did. The school year is about to start and he has no motivation whatsoever. I'm trying to change him to another school, hopefully I'll be able to do so. Otherwise will be stuck with that raggedy school for 5 more years. Please DO NOT Send your kids there...

As a teacher at this school for 6 years I worked with several dedicated and excellent teachers. The principal is a bully to both staff and students. There has been high changeover in staff and morale is very low. This school needs strong and supportive leadership.

The teachers at South Lake are wonderful, they go above and beyond my expectations. The Principal has however left a dry taste in my mouth. You would think that someone in her position would know how to talk with her students parents instead of trying to bully them into what she believes to be the truth. I am seriously thinking about taking my child to another school where instead of blaming the parents the administration would actually work to find out what the problem may be. I see why there is a bullying issue when the principal herself is a bully.

I worked here for several years before I moved out of the state of Maryland. I can honestly say that I have not since worked with a group of such professional, collaborative or dedicated teachers. I learned so much working here and I would work there again in a heartbeat if I were ever to move back to Maryland. I would recommend this school to any parent.

This school has the best teachers. They all are highly qualified and very engaged and committed. This could be due to the fact that this is a Title 1 school. Academic programs are rigorous and a fair amount of homework is given each day even to kindergartners. A big emphasis is on Math. Parent involvement is an issue at times perhaps because of the language barrier. However all this is made up for due to the wonderful teachers that they have. Principal is not very effective or engaged in my opinion. They have a very dynamic Vice Principal though.

I really hate giving any school such a bad rating, especially when the teachers seem to be so dedicated. However, the administration does not respond to parental concerns. Bullying is a major issue within the school - yet I have seen very little in the way of consequences (and have even seen the victims get blamed for lying when they go to teachers). The principal does not seem to have any control over her school and visitors and volunteers are permitted to wander around without any control.

Last modified South Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.