No rating

Butler School

Private | PK-8

Living in Germantown

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $226,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,520.

Posted March 6, 2014

Our son started at Butler Montessori this past September (at 4 1/2yrs old) for half day primary. We have enjoyed watching him grow and become very independent and confident. We feel like the Montessori approach really suits him. The staff and teachers there are wonderful and I credit them with how quickly he is learning things. They truly are supportive of the whole child and the family, which was evident during some recent stressful family health issues. Their support of our son and our family really helped him continue to thrive during this time. We are looking forward to him continuing on to full day primary next year.

Posted September 22, 2013

We are having a great experience at Butler. The flexible approach of Montessori works very well for our son, who can learn at his own pace, which in some subjects is very advanced and other on par. We have found the teachers to be very responsive, and always willing to take a lot of time to talk with us and formulate the best plan for our son's success. He loves going to school and always comes home happy. He also knows that if there is any problem, it will be addressed so he feels secure. The school addresses the whole child, including social skills. Also, the parent community is warm and welcoming. Finally, the environment is beautiful, which is important to our son who loves the natural world. This is our son's fourth year here and we will be going through Middle School at Butler.

Posted July 20, 2013

We are very glad we found Butler! This is the best school in the area

Posted February 17, 2013

Butler School is an AMAZING place for yur child. They have a phenomonal staff and a wonderful group of children here. The classes are small and the the children are taught how to work together and how to solve difficult situations amoungst themselves. My daughter and I movd down here from Massachusetts and she has truly blossomed since starting at Butler. She has learned better ways to study, she has become more social, she has grown more confident in her abilities and how she goes about solving problems and conflicts. Before going to Butler she struggled socially, and while very smart, she used to get very frustrated if she actually had to work at what she had for homework. Now she has learned the best way for her to learn, and how to ask for help and how to work through difficult problems without getting upset. There are many different activities that the children can do at the school. There are horses on site that are used to teach the children confidence and a different way to incorporate physical education. Its such a wonderful school, and I truly recommend it to any one!

Posted February 13, 2013

Butler school provides a very intelligent environment that is based on balance. Nothing is overemphasized or neglected (including physical health and closeness to nature). Both our boys are striving in it, intellectually, physically and psychologically - and happy children make for happy parents. Our children are on the path to be able to navigate very comfortably in our increasingly global and complex world.

Posted February 10, 2013

We love Butler - the exceptional community, campus, and teachers. Our two daughters are lifelong Montessorians and we plan to continue as long as we can!

Posted January 21, 2012

I have very high regard for the teachers and staff of Butler School. My family has been a part of the Butler School community for the past 10 years. The students are happy because they experience the joy of learning. There are priceless intangibles that become part of each student's character. My 8th grade son is prepared for public high school academically, socially, and emotionally. I am so thankful that my son has developed the skills needed to meet the demands of a rigorous, enriching Intermediates curriculum.

Posted November 25, 2011

Great school and nurturing environment for a child to grow. we have two kids here and it is wonderful to see them blossom there. It's definitely worth every penny.

Posted January 10, 2011

Butler School offers a premier education for the development of the whole child. My children have been there for 10 years since they were 3 years. The Montessori education at Butler School has helped them develop the tools they need for living in today's world: critical, creative, and independent thinking; a sense of self and how they fit in their community; and respect for themselves, their peers, and the adults in their world. Butler School is, indeed, a Great School.

Posted April 16, 2010

It is a wonderful, nurturing and learning environment. It is a school different from others where the students acquire not only a deep level of academic knowledge, but develop self esteem, and learn to become responsible and mature individuals. It is a school for and of life.

Posted January 14, 2010

I am a Grandparent of two children who just love their school. It is a wonderful feeling to drop your children off at school each day and know that they are excited to be there. Butler School provides an excellent educational and nurturing environment. I am delighted that my grandchildren can attend such a great school.

Posted October 12, 2009

Looking at the reviews of Butler, I think that interested parents should talk to a wide range of current parents at the school. When our child attended Butler, most of the parents we talked with were VERY unsatisfied with the school and I don't see that reflected in these comments. Some kids are happy there, but the very large class sizes and variability of the teachers means that the academics are not up to what you would expect from such an expensive private school. Other Montessori programs in the area (with smaller class sizes), in my opinion, do a much better job. Also the administration is very snobby and hard to communicate with. We had a very dissapointing experience there. One positive is that the campus is beautiful.

Posted August 27, 2009

I went from first grade and finished all the way through a couple years ago. The intermediate program is excellent, it offers a lot of life experience along with learning important curricular studies. My transition from Butler to a public high school was really easy, and the experience overall was great. I traveled to different states with friends to learn and experience things first hand which was great to do. So, as somebody who actually attended Butler, I think its a great school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 24, 2008

I have been a parent at Butler School for 5 years and could not be happier. The teachers have all been wonderful and are always willing to make time to meet with parents if you call for an appointment. My daughter is learning much more than her friends at traditional schools and is learning important social skills as well. I love that the Montessori environment focuses on the whole child. I also look forward to the Intermediate Program where the teachers are amazing and the children's experiences beyond your wildest expectations.

Posted October 23, 2008

We did not have a good experience with Butler. Our child's teacher was totally incompetent. She had no idea of his ability and rarely gave any informative feedback. also, the school only has one parent teacher meeting at the beginnig of the year, so there is no way to measure growth. we also found the administration to be rigid , inflexible and snobbish about their institution. They were not open to investigating and looking into constructive critcism- even though we were paying an arm and a leg! To be honest, the academics accross the board at this school are mediocre at best. If you are thinking about this shool, please don't waste your money. Try Jefferson Montessori. It is a better institution overall.

Posted April 23, 2008

I have different opinions for different grades. The primary program (ages 3-6) is excellent. Not only is it academics, they teach simple life skills. The only problem is that they put 1-6 grade in the same class. This is not good for the older kids. The intermiede program (7 and 8 grade is good). The only problem is that they do not offer high school credit
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 21, 2008

We found Butler to be a bit rigid and inflexible. Some of the teachers are good. Others are very uptight and difficult to talk with. It is a strict AMI school, so you may want to look into the differences with AMS and compare schools in the area. The principal is very nice, we just did not have a good experience there because of our son's teacher.

Posted April 21, 2006

Butler is a Montessori School. I've taken the Montessori primary and secondary teacher training and taught at each level for 5 years so I know generally what to expect from a Montessori school. I think Butler is an exceptional Montessori school - one of the very best. My son is blossoming there. It's well worth every penny we spend on tuition.

Posted March 19, 2006

We have had the pleasure of watching three of our children, all very different from one another, flourish at Butler School. If you are looking for a school that values individuality, creativity, and respect then I suggest you visit Butler School.

Posted August 26, 2003

I love this school and best of all my son loves it! Very hands on and works well with the way he studies. The teachers are great they work with each of the children s needs. They don't offer much in sports but have horses and offer lessons. Rock climbing are among the other things offered also have an outdoor pool. Loads of fun! Kids enjoy learning in this environment.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 31% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMI

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

15951 Germantown Road