Posted October 27, 2014
I would like to preface this by stating I am an 8th grade student in the Humanities & Communications Magnet Program. RCMS has some great faculty members, and I have had a tremendous and amazing education from most of my teachers, who put their full heart into their classes.However, the reason that I took off three stars was because of several reasons: General ineptitutude and a toxic learning enviroment, however I will only focus on the first due to the char. limit. I have recently gotten out of a week long trip from New York City as part of a media documentary project. However, one of my hotel roomates, let's call him Ben, was very rowdy during the trip, and ended up punching me in the face and chipping my tooth. I spoke to one of my magnet coordinators about this after we got back, and he said that Ben was "playing" and I shouldn't worry about it, so nothing happened of it except Ben got one after school detention; for comparison, someone was recently suspended for a week for wearing a red bandana in their back pocket. The coordinator has a record of covering up incidents if they would mean a blemish on his record, as this New York Trip is a big enrollment factor for Roberto.

Posted August 19, 2014
I 100 percent love this school. It's my third year going here and so far, everything's been great. Most of the staff is just amazing and respectful to the students who respect them. Lunches are great, though lines are long. The music program is the only one in Montgomery County to have JamHub studios (search them up! they're really cool!) and a Rock Band. The students go on amazing field trips, like Hershey Park, The Rock Hall of Fame in Ohio, New York, Boston, some even get to to Europe! Overall, I reccommend this school to anyone who wants to go. And for even more help deciding, check out the programs and culture section. It lists everything that this school has to offer. Which is a lot more than other schools.

Posted April 11, 2014
It is so refreshing to have my child go to a school with an administrator that actually cares about the kids. Mr. Beidleman is a breath of fresh air! He has made my son actually enjoy going to school. The discipline has improved tremendously over the past few years. Its hard to find a school in MCPS where its not all about the politics. Its time for MCPS to undertsand that the children come first!

Posted March 04, 2014
I've been going to Roberto Clemente for the past three years in the normal program. I didn't get in to the Humanities program, and that lowered my interest to strive for anything higher. I'm still in advanced classes, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss the enitrety of the normal school population because we're not in a program. I've heard magnet kids say things like "all normies are rude and loud," but it could not be more untrue to generalize people like that. The magnet kids definetely get to go on more field trips than the normal population, and they excuse it by saying they work harder than we do, but the problem with that is we're not getting the chance to! In my experience, not being part of a program makes me feel dumb and less than the kids part of the programs. It makes me believe that no matter how hard I try in school, it still won't be as good as the magnet kids. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. All of the students in our school are talented in different areas of the things we learn. Our school does not aknowledge that enough. Instead it puts the kids that are labeled as intelligent on a pedestal and leaves the rest of not wanting to learn at all.

Posted January 22, 2014
This school is a great example of why MCPS is an EXCELLENT choice for public schools in the area. I've found the academic programs here to be extremely successful in preparing students for High School!

Posted January 21, 2014
This school has shifted for the better within the last year itself. I can highly recommend the staff and learning environment based on what my two kids have experienced. I am confident they are prepared for what comes ahead in H.S.

Roberto W. Clemente Middle School 1

Posted January 11, 2014
This school is completely unsatisfactory. The magnet program is the only perk in this school but even then, my son is in the magnet program and he comes home every day saying he is bullied for being a "nerd" and white. Horrible administration and teaching except for the program.

Posted January 10, 2014
This school has shifted gears for the better within the last 2 years. Amazing teachers and proven leadership has done wonders for my child. I finally feel that she is enjoying her classes and excelling in math and science. I am very pleased with the quality of education and support here.

Posted January 10, 2014
Just this year has RCMS gotten in ship shape. The classes and attention to students progress is where it needs to be. I have no qualms about sending my girls there anymore. We'll done teachers!

Posted November 12, 2013
I taught at RCMS from 2007-2011 after a few years of teaching experience and getting my Masters degree. My first year of teaching there in 2007 was the WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE. I mean that when I say it. The worst. I left work crying almost every day. The students were extremely disrespectful, violent, and intimidating. I worked 60 to 70 hours a week just to keep up with the demands of the job and the administrative formal observations. I stuck with it because I actually cared about making a difference with these students & it got a lot better my 2nd year, as the school was improving greatly with a fantastic principal and I was learning how to better relate to my students. When the new principal took over in 2010, it got worse again. My morale, as well as the morale of other teachers, went down as the school atmosphere declined. The principal pretended to be friendly and caring, but wasn't. I stuck it out for 2 years with that principal, as I saw student behavior decline and become more like it was in 2007. At the end of the 2011 school year, I went on maternity leave and decided to take a few years of extended leave. When I return to teaching, I will interview elsewhere in MCPS.

Roberto W. Clemente Middle School
18808 Waring Station Rd, Germantown, MD  20874
Last modified Roberto W. Clemente Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Roberto W. Clemente Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top