No rating

Reid Temple Christian Academy

Private | PK-8

Living in Glenn Dale

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $300,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted June 4, 2014

This school is simply wonderful. My child has truly has grown into a committed, dedicated hard working scholar and I completely credit RTCA's commitment to education to my child's growth and development.

Posted June 3, 2014

My child is currently enrolled in Reid Temple Christian Academy, and I am very pleased with this program. I would rate Reid Temple Christian among the great schools in our region based on the following criteria: 1. The leadership has a clearly defined and communicated vision for the children that embraces the whole child, 2. The teachers are dedicated, and sincerely focus on learning, not just grades. We did have two challenging teachers this year, but that situation was rectified. I do not expect perfection, but I do expect that issues are dealt with in a timely manner, which is exactly what happened in this instance. 3. Parents are engaged in the school, and have a voice. 4. The students seem generally happy, and my child loves the school. I assume that I am not aware of everything that happens, but I do not consider myself to be completely in the dark. Finally, I believe that a solid Christian environment supports my child overall development. Thank you RTCA

Posted June 2, 2014

Reid Temple Christian Academy has been a true blessing to my children and family. The academic rigor is excellent. The school has fostered a love of learning for my children. I have one child that entered the school with academic challenges upon the completion of this school year he is performing above grade level. In addition at the beginning of the year my child was bullied by another student. I was impressed with the swift, formalized, compassionate way in which the matter was handled. Finally I love the commitment developing a love and relationship with Christ, through daily Chapel devotionals.

Posted May 19, 2014

The staff is horrible and communication is awful!!! The parents and students don't get any respect unless they are employed there at the school. If you aren't part of the so called crew at this so called Christian school your opinion doesn't count. The Business department is the worse. They lose your documents, fax never works, and never get a return call when you leave a message on the main line, if it is even working. I am so glad I pulled my kids out. No I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone else. They got rid of the good teachers. The staff doesn't do anything about bullying. They cover and say its just good friends hanging out. Just an excuse. Everybody's family gets employed and that's who they look out for. I thought this would be where my kids graduated from but they seem to be happier now! Stressfree !! The business department really needs help. Please look at other schools before you register your precious children here. Ask about the teacher/ students turnover rate.

Posted May 14, 2014

This school is awful, the administration is simply awful and they have no problem resolution skills whatsoever, it s all about favoritism and if your child is bullied and they are not the teachers and the administrations staff favorite you can forget any protection for your child. They claim they are so Godly, but when it comes to you child being bullied the administration claim to be so concern and yet will not respond or follow up with parents. This school claims that they are a STEM school, what a laugh, This school year the school hired the worse unqualified math and science teachers and they were fired in January, be mindful we still had to pay over 9,000 for the tuition and most of the students learn absolutely nothing. The school s Director and her assistant were force to assume trying to teach the students math and science in January, which was much to late in the school year for the student to be prepared and totally productive. But get this, the students were held accountable and rushed to learn the material in order to take the standardized year-end testing.

Posted October 21, 2013

We have a child in one of the pre-K programs and are generally happy with the program. We enrolled them after a school open house. Here are our thoughts so far: Pros: -The staff are very nurturing to the children; the children in the pk-2 through 5 program seem happy and engaged; if you have a question and ask, someone will try to help you find the answer, the same day if not the next; our child can tell us one new thing they've learned and retained each day; the school is offers various non-classroom learning experiences; low student teacher ratio. Areas to improve:consistency on enforcing the rules (e.g. pick up time, due dates, uniforms); opportunities for students to be more active during the day; less emphasis on testing and less homework at this age. The things that bother us about the school really have nothing to do with what our child is learning and their growth. Most items are indicative of the school being young. Policies are in place but procedures could be improved. It seems a little strict for young kids but that may be because it's a parochial school. So far its a reasonable value for a private school in this area with the certifications its obtained (ie STEM)

Posted June 12, 2013

I have had my child in RTCA for three years and I was happy the first year, because the teacher was GREAT, but left and went to another local private school! I knew there were some problems that year, but I thought they would be resolved/addressed. Instead, more teachers left, students left, tuition increased and it continued to be a downhill battle that year. The school has the potential of being top notch, but there is poor communication, unorganization, teacher transition, favoritism of students amongst the staff, unprofessional and unknowledgeable office personnel, and no consistency of rules and regulations. Each year the tuition increases with no explanation of where the additional funds will be allocated. If you are interested in enrolling your child, you will be very impressed by the curriculum, but the Administration and Staff definitely need to be reassessed. As parents, we like consistency and with the high transition in the school, that can be very concerning. Note: The Mandarin Program is great, however, in order for your child to be successful, you (as a parent) will need to learn Mandarin along with your child.

Posted May 16, 2013

I appreciate the academic vigor at Reid Temple Christian Aacademy. The children are constantly challenged.

Posted November 12, 2012

I enrolled my child in the PK-3 class this year and I am beyond pleased with the progress my child has made thus far. My child's teachers are attentive and challenge the students. Many are surprised when they see that my 3 year-old can read some words, understands letter sounds, counts and recognizes order and sequence, does simple math, writes letters, and understands science (how things grow, seasons, animal habitats, etc). Most importantly, she is getting a SOLID Christian foundation, which is very important to me. The students remember Bible verses, stories, songs and principles. The administration has been stellar. Whenever I encounter challenges or have questions, the response is rapid and professional. Dr. Dais and Mrs. Edmonds recognize the responsibility to educate the children and exhibit great dedication to making that happen. It is important to understand that this school requires dedicated parents to be ACTIVE in their child(ren)'s education. There is a lot of support work/homework, school programs, and field trips. Do the work! Make it a priority and you will see the results!

Posted October 9, 2012

After much consideration my husband and I have decided that this will be the last year my children will be attending Reid Temple. The administration there is terrible at best! They take their time responding to you if you have any concerns. Their is no support in place for children that may be having difficulty in a certain area. Their solution is " Excel Learning" which is a tutoring company that they have contracted. Which still requires us as parents to pay an additional fee on top of tuition. This is a disgrace and for the amount of money that's required for tuition there should be a reading/ math specialist on sight to assist those students that may need that extra help but can't afford outside tutoring. To us it seems that the administration has the mindset of either you get it or you don't. Very interesting for a school that advertises just the opposite. Maybe if the whole administration could be replaced the school has chance to improve. Otherwise, families will continue to leave as they have already.

Posted July 25, 2012

Reid Temple was an okay school but lack of organization was a problem. There is a lot of cursing in the middle school and children doing many inappropriate things and talking about many unacceptable things. The teachers are pretty nice to students and that's good to see but sometimes favoritism occurs. Also the middle school students sometimes have barely enough time to do long term studying. The staff can be nice to the students but a lack of organization, favoritism, and cursing is a definite negative but that is my opinion and no school is perfect.

Posted July 25, 2012

I'm considering withdrawing my application for my child to attend this school next year. There seems to be very few stafff members who have any real clue or grasp of what is going on. Clearly a lack of communication and organization amongst staff. They take forever to get back to address simple questions and you often get bumped from one person to the next without getting clear answers. It makes me wonder how responsive and attentive they'll be with questions or concerns regarding my child's education, etc. during the school year. Shouldn't you get what your paying for?

Posted July 19, 2012

Wife and I extremely not pleased with Reid Temple.Teachers neglect kids from academy to social care. Teachers won't open up to parents for fear of questions; even head of school displays low self estime,wil not looking in parents eyes and greating them. if they know you for asking too much questions, they avoid you in the halls and won't reply to your Goodmornings I ve seen 1st grade student at Reid temple not even able to read a simple sentence and I ve witness Pre-K teacher telling a parent at the end of the school year that her child is not ready for Kindergarden. why did she pay you $800 and change per month for ? for a whole year? School ends at 3pm, you get there at 2:45, kids sitting on table looking in the air and both teachers on Facebook or tutoring they own kids from others grades. No daily report to show what the kids work on during the day, only behavior sheet in the folder. The whole staff has no customer service, business appreciation or academy courtesy. Better teachers and parents have left the school in the 3 years time my son spent in the Preschool there. If you don put up with BS and want straight learning, Reid temple is not the place for your buks.

Posted October 14, 2011

We LOVE RTCA! We have a 3rd grader and a Pre-K4.....RTCA is Academically challenging, QUALIFIED, nurturing and loving teachers.....great administration! DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND DO NOT COMPLETELY RELY ON OTHER PEOPLES COMMENTS! We have no regrets enrolling our children and love their enthusiasm for learning! Something my 3rd grader lost because of a negative experience last year at another Christian school! RTCA is MUCH MORE than bells and whistles, as another poster commented! RTCA keep up the great work! The LORD is certainly using you and ALL will know who RTCA is soon!!

Posted August 23, 2011

I believe this school plays favoritism towards some students and do not practice their "Christian ways." Educatioanally, everything is great but when you are trying to work on other things they turn their back on you. I had 3 kids that were attending this school and my oldest was being picked on and I reported it repeatedly but nothing was done about it. When he took manners in his own hands he got in trouble. The response was always "we will investigate this situation," but they never did nor did they get back to you on it. A little boy pulled my son's pants down and I was never notified and when I confronted the school the Dr. Dais said she was going to tell me but she was really busy, this was a week later. However, when my son gets in trouble they are not busy to let me know.

Posted July 27, 2011

I have been totally pleased with my daughters school experience. I am an educator myself and believe that the standards set are high and attainable. I am proud of the growth the RTCA has made over the past several years. As with any school, anywhere, you have teachers who I feel don't belong but as a parent with a voice... I am my child's biggest advocate. I do not believe that every school is for everyone but if you appreciate rigor, are willing to commit your time and money as an investment for your child and value Christian principle in learning, then Reid Temple might be for you. They offer several Open Houses and are open to you coming in to visit classes. I love it!! May God continue to bless the growth and weed out the negativity.

Posted April 1, 2011

RTCA is definitely one of the better private schools in PG County. The curriculum is rigorous and challenging. The school is equipped with modern features, such as smartboards, science and computer labs, and a real Spanish program. Middle school students have an extended day (1 hour longer) to accomodate the demanding curriculum. This school is about 6 years old, and has just added the last grade to the curriculum, 8th grade. They are also piloting the IB curriculum this year, with a pending IB and Middle School certification. Whatever kinks this school experienced during its first years, I think they have been resolved. I do hope they incorporate martial arts, piano lessons, and Girl Scouts in their after school program. I am coming from Montgomery County School system, and I thought the curriculum presented at this school would present a challenge to my child. It is one of the few schools that still have small classroom sizes. I am looking forward to the upcoming school year.

Posted October 18, 2010

My children have attended this school for 4 years. They do encourage parent participation to offset the shortage of supporting staff. Class sizes are small, but the students still do not receive the benefit of one-to-one assistance when needed. Yes, they do challenge the children mentally, but they also stress the children with a lot of homework. They do not provide parent with the educational credentials of their teachers, even when you inquire this information. Considering the amount of money paid for tuition, you would think they would want to assure parents that the teachers are the best qualified.

Posted October 5, 2010

This is my first year at RTCA and I have been very impressed so far. My son s grade 1 teacher is super nice and very tolerance. She understands the challenges involved in raising boys. They get a lot of homework which is very good because it has really helped my son to learn so much in the short time they have been in school. The academic standard is excellent and I am very happy with the Curriculum. It's been worth the cost! My son is so happy here!! Go RCTA

Posted October 4, 2010

The last review must have been written by RTCA staff because this is so untrue. Our experience at RTCA was positive overall. But I'm afraid that parent reviews from July 12 and Sept 23 are more realistic of the school, sad to say. They do have very loving and nurturing staff/faculty. Improvements with teacher training/development are needed and less emphasis placed upon fundraising. But positive changes will not occur until there are administrative changes.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • African methodist episcopal
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11400 Glenn Dale Boulevard