Duval High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 27, 2014

I am a student that currently attends duval. It is not a bad school in all honesty. People talk down on the school & don't know what actually goes on. The teachers, well most, are very helpful and willing to set you up for success. I am class of 2016 and so far I think it's a great school.

Posted January 28, 2014

If your child is motivated, a hard worker, mature, and not susceptible to peer pressure and being more interested in social issues than they are in academic issues, then this is a great school! In any of the Advanced Placement or similar more rigorous academic classes and upper-level english, math, and science classes - these kids and teachers work hard and its wonderful. BUT if your child get's lost in the numbers, struggles academically, has an IEP, or has other problems, then Duval may be a real challenge. Just pray that they get through high school at all! Unfortunately, this largely depends on you as a parent being involved and diligent - especially if your child is not self motivated. But isn't that what our job is as parents anyway? I just which Duval High School could help parents - but they don't; they can't. We had to find a cheap private school to survive.

Posted September 19, 2009

This school is not as bad as it seems. Most people that talk about Duval never walked into the building or have engaged in a conversation with some of our students. Duval has excellent teachers who actually care. There are things that goes on in Duval just like every other school. People always seem to always find negative things to say about Duval but what they fail to mention may surprise you. Duval High School Cheerleaders won Counties last year, Art work from our students has been in many showcases, and that our mock trail team only lost one match. So there is alot that Duval can offer. Your child has to be a leader and not a follower, and be responsible enough to make good decisions.

Posted April 29, 2009

Duval has come a long way -- I am a parent on the PTSA -- Duval's parents and teachers are playing a very active role in the kids education. Mr. Miller, the Principal, is also very active in the PTSA, he shows up for most of the meetings and provide information on what is going on at school and plans for the future, if he cannot make it, he ask one of his vice principals to be present. The PTSA received an award for the most new members -- this award will be presented this May (2009). Duval should now be rated a 4.

Posted January 16, 2009

As DuVal Alumni I can honestly say that when entering DuVal fall of 2002 I felt the same about it as most of you who have mentioned all of these bad things. But that was before I got involved. After getting used to my environment I got involved ani realized the rumors were just that RUMORS!!! I loved DuVal . I joined yearbook staff and the Spanish National Honors Society. Its just terrible how people just throw my school under the bus like that. I've visited a few times after graduation and its getting more diverse. L. Jackson

Posted January 15, 2009

Duval is odviously not ther best School in P.G. I think is all starts with Leadership the administartors are rarely seen, the Principal is almost foreign, his presence is never felt, within the student body. To much drama much better school in the area.

Posted May 13, 2008

wow, im a current student and i have to say the person who posted 2 under me is wrong. in every school there will be tension between students and staff but then u just said they cant control us yet the riot was between on neighborhood and another that happened in school. the people who where fighting didint even go here so... in all its a nice school.

Posted March 24, 2008

Duval highschool is a wonderful school. However it does have a bad reputation. I am a proud parent and I believe that anyone that says that the school is not a very good enviornment maybe is not getting involved in the school and with their children much. The academics are very high and the students are challenged a great deal.

Posted March 10, 2008

This school is one of the badest schools in Prince Georges County. Students here at Duval High School are always fighting, lighting things on fire, and disrespectful. Duval High School was reported on the new station due to a riot that took place. Some teachers in this school don't have any control over students. Meaning the students are in control over some teachers. Which isn't good. Students are very very violent here, but there are only a few that are great students and trying to make something from themselves. The overall percent of honor roll students which is a GPA of a 3.0 and above are very low. As a caring person I would never place my child in this hositle environment others call a good school.

Posted January 24, 2008

I graduated from there I love duval class of 2006.

Posted December 2, 2007

I am an Alumni of DuVal high school. DuVal is a wonderful place for students, despite it's horrible reputation. The teachers are amazing and caring, the staff is all around wonderful. I hear a lot of comments that the teachers do not care, but where are you parents? You get involved when it's too late. It is your child's fault for not putting in the effort. The teachers are there at DuVal to help in any way possible. Education is not a one-way street. How can a teacher do his or her job if your child isn't meeting them half way. It isn't the teachers job to motivate them, it is the parents. Parents, be parents and get involved. . . Don't rely on teachers to do all the work. You are after all. . . a parent, number one teacher in your child's life.

Posted September 14, 2007

my son is doing really good so far this school year he even join the band club. i am impress with his progress he is doing good. thank you tearchers and staff.

Posted August 8, 2006

We, teachers, prepare our students as productive and positive citizens each year from our academic, athletic, and extracurricular programs, like any other HS in PG County and the state of Maryland, just as good, if not better than any other school. Just like any other school in this area, schools look to improve in various areas yearly and with a new principal this coming school year, the future is bright at DuVal.

Posted May 15, 2006

I would like to say that my child has attended Duval all four years of his high school career. I have had to struggle to get him to the point where he can graduate. I have to agree with some of the comments regarding teachers and administrators who don't care about the kids. I am not saying all are alike just some. I would like to suggest that teachers who are losing their compassion for the children and getting 'burnt out', need a refresher on why they became teachers in the first place. All children don't learn the same and that needs to be recognized and not looked upon as a hindrance. Also if a parent is making attempts to get info on the students the teachers should likewise do the same.

Posted April 26, 2006

As a teacher at DuVal, I do not agree with all of the negative comments made about the school. First of all, you have to take in consideration that since Summer of 2005 (when most of the negative comments have been entered) there has been new leadership that is slowly reshaping the culture of the school. When I first applied to teach here, I heard rumors of how bad the school was. When I finally began work, I did not see a horrible school but a school that simply needed some work. There are students who are striving for academic achievement and plenty of teachers willing to go the extra mile for the students. I ask those parents and students who slam the school for shortcomings and failures: Have you contributed anything in order to improve the learning climate of Duval?

Posted January 31, 2006

As a student at DuVal, I am highly offended by some of the comments I read. To those parents who have such negative things to say, I would like to know how you are contributing to our school. A child's actions are a reflection of their parents' teachings. It starts in the home. No school is perfect. Every high school is faced with violence, bad students, teachers who aren't concerned, etc. However, DuVal seems to be portrayed as the worst school in PG County. When indeed there are plenty of caring teachers, administrators, staff, and students. For all those negative people, I would like you to spend a day at DuVal, and stip believing the hype. Victoria E (10)

Posted January 23, 2006

I am a student at DuVal High School which means I have firsthand experience. I take offense to the fact that people are quick to judge DuVal, but have no idea what it is really like. No,it is not perfect, but what high school is? Because DuVal has a bad reputation, it's easy for everyone to think of it as a negative school when in reality, it's not. I don't think that it's fair to judge a school unless you have personal experience. I believe DuVal is a great school and it can only get better from here.

Posted January 23, 2006

People have to relax. DuVal Is a decent school that just gets a lot of bad press. Its just that other schools do a better job of keeping their dirty laundry under raps. DuVal has no major problems like other schools; its that thei small problems get blown out of porportion. ALL schools have their share of problems; So all I say is before you judge my school and put it down, realize that there are problems everywhere and don't reject my school even before you give it a chance.--- Thankyou

Posted January 22, 2006

High School is what you make it! DuVal is a great school with endless opportunities it s depends on what you put in to determine what you get out. The future education of a child doesn t solely depend upon the child s environment but the child s eagerness to learn. So the question is, is your child the worst student in the county or is it the school. Think about it!

Posted January 21, 2006

As a teacher at DuVal High School, I can contest to the positive aspects of the school. Most of the comments made about the school and teachers are made from people who do not involve themselves with building school character or morale. Unfortunately as a society we focus on the negative instead of the positive. The school has new renovations, a seperate hall for ninth grade students, and several teachers with a masters degree or higher but nobody mentions these things. The communication between parents and teachers has increased tremendously due to new policies in place by the principal. It takes a village to raise a child and the parents should work with the school instead of posting negative comments about what the school is not doing for their child. The DuVal community is focused on nurturing children and we welcome all parents and students to join our family.

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

299 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

306 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 54%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Arts & music

Visual arts
  • Drawing / sketching
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9880 Good Luck Rd