Montpelier Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 650 students

Posted September 13, 2013

There are good and bad to the school. My child thrived while she attended this school and she continues to excel. The school offers the students various educational and fun competitions with fun rewards to motivate them academically. Some of the school staff need training and improvement in the area of communication or interpersonal skills with parents for the school environment. The school nurse Sheila Jordan is extremely rude for some unknown reason when she speaks with parents. Unfortunately, some of the office staff and the teachers are the same way. They speak to the parents as if they are reprimanding children. If a parent is not speaking with the staff in that manner, the staff should not behave that way. This is an unnecessarily condescending attitude and it is a shame that they don't recognize how unprofessional it is on their part.

Posted August 18, 2013

This is one of the best schools in PG County. If there are any low reviews be warned - it may be because that parent was either kicked out for being an "address imposter" or other... I legally live in the school zone and have a 17 yr old who attended as well as current 6 and 8 year olds who are now attending. EXCELLENT school, EXCELLENT teachers and EXCELLENT staff! My daughter and son are both honor roll/gifted and talented and learning exponentially each year. Thanks Montpelier superb job!

Posted June 3, 2013

This school is one of the best schools in the PG county area! The teachers and amdinistration are committed to the wellnness of each child and are dedicated to strengthening their craft through workshops, professional development courses and in house staff training! I love love love this school! If you want your child to learn and be supported emotionally and developmentally send them here!

Posted March 1, 2013

I have two children attending Montpelier and likely a third one attending next year. When we first moved to the area, I was not planning on being here long enough to have to worry about sending any of my children to PG countly schools. I have one in 2nd grade and one in Kindergarten. Our experience has been extremely positive. I was very worried about the demographics of the school, as we are white, and hopefully not sounding racist, the majority of children are not white. Even as a minority in this school, I feel like both of my children are receiving a very good education. Could it be better, sure - what school can't achieve more. But as far as learning and development, they are both doing well. The school does require a lot of homework and reading. I will say that I feel that they are receiving just as good an education as most of my friends' children who attend private schools. The teachers, especially Mrs Seay, have been great so far. I would not have imagined that either one of them would have learned to read by the end of Kindergarten, but they have. They are excited about learning and Montpelier fosters that. Yes, we spent a lot of time on homework, but it's worth it!

Posted January 24, 2013

if you want the true this school is awful. i have been going there for a while.the teacher are OK but surely NOT THE BEST.. But the worst of all is the uncleanness. THEY DO NOT EVEN HAVE SOAP IN SOME BATHROOMS.... you should only go to this school if you don't have the financial means to drive them any other place.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 11, 2013

It is amazing how negative most of these comments are when the real problem is not the school but the parents themselves. How many of these complaining parents have actually tried to help their children attain there educational goal instead of leaving the entire burden and blame on the institution? The unfortunate truth? Not many. I've had the privilege of sending both of my children to Montpelier Elementary where initially it was my belief that the work load was too heavy for their age group but over time the adopted and performed wonderfully, however whatever success they enjoyed was a result of parental involvement to complement whatever they were being taught in the class room. KM.

Posted June 28, 2012

My children went to this school for a short timeframe. My youngest was constantly bullied/hit/stepped on, etc. on the playground. The playground attendants would stay inside and leave the children a lone. When I tried to talk to the teacher about it, I got no where. When I tried to talk to the principal about it, I got no where. When a school does not care about a student who is being bullied, it is not a great school. As far as giving lots of homework to students, this does not mean the teachers are doing a good job or challenging the students. It means that they are unable to cover the coursework at school so the work is sent home.

Posted June 20, 2012

I don't know if the comments below are based on facts or their opinions. I like to speak based on what I have personally experienced. My child has just completed first grade at Montpelier and I for one did not expect much from a public school. But this school tries to get the parents involved. They challenge my child by giving homework (a lot of it) that initially I thought was rediculous but low and behold, he/she starting getting "it". Ms. Wheil is not only hott if you as me, but caring and sharp for being so young. Ms. Seay gives excellent feedback and responds to emails/phone calls. She has no problem giving an honest opinion and answered my questions/concerns. My child liked both of them which in and of itself assists with his/her learning. On the other hand, the before and after care program is another story. I don't recommend it as it is hit or miss. The lady who is in charge is kind, but from what I have personally witnessed, it is more like a boot camp than an after care program. yes, the two ladies try to keep order, but they go about it the wrong way. They need training but at their age, I doubt they would be willing to take it.

Posted December 24, 2011

My name is Tiara Thomas I went to Montpelier elementary and I wont ay that I hated it, but the school was a bit out of control. I do not feel like the administrators did enough to keep school as orderly and comfortable for the students as possible. However, I learned quite a lot there. Although, there were those teachers that you did not like as much, there were also really memorable ones who went above and beyond for their students like Mrs.Cherowitzo (who i love love loved!!) and Ms.Green (who no longer teaches there). I am a longly progressed alumni of montpelier and I am actually a freshman at North Carolina A&T state university studying chemical engineering. Montpelier elementary did something right because I was well prepared for middle school and have been a honor roll student for the longest. Good things do come out of good elementary school. No, Montpelier isn't GREAT but yes its good.

Posted November 28, 2011

I attended this school for only one year and that one year wasn't a good one. Maybe because I was the only asian girl in my grade. My 5th grade teacher was alright but she wasn't the best. The class however was really disappointing overall. The class was a mess and it was not an environment that one could learn in. I'm glad I moved and switch schools.

Posted July 26, 2011

I just want to show some positives for Montpelier. My girls have been going here for 3 years. I don't think it is the best school, however it is not as bad as stated below. We have always had great teachers like Ms. Wheil (sp?), Ms. Schultz, Ms. Turi, Ms. Smith, and Ms. Burgess. I must say we didn't like Mrs. Cherowitzo (sp?). Just because you don't like one teacher doesn't make the entire school awful. I love that we can work with the teachers direct through email and the grades/grade book are all online. The automated lunch paying system is sweet too. My girls have excelled and are now ready to move to the talent and gifted or honors programs. Parent involvement is key. There are bad parents and rowdy kids in every school. We had one bully incident but were able to work with the teacher on this one individual. Kids are kids and we parents have to understand that. The only issue I have with this school is lack of funds. It is very unfortunate that schools continue to lose money so we don't get the best facilities nor electives such as Art. Overall still a great elementary school. The Catholic schools in the neighborhood are NOT worth the costs.

Posted April 9, 2011

Recently my husband and I had the opportunity to watch "Waiting on Superman." The movie is a heart wrenching depiction of how our public schools and public school systems are failing our kids. However, to the rescue are some amazing charter schools. The sad news is that there are limited slots for kids. Montpelier is one of those failing public schools that lacks progressive leadership that cares and will work tirelessly to make sure that the students all receive the best education. I have researched several public schools in the area and found that the schools that are doing extremely well; regardless of where they are located (poor communities/rich communities) do well because there is a leader who is creative, demands the best from staff, is caring and compassionate, available for the parents and not afraid to take chances. Sadly to say that Montpelier's leadership does not carry these attributes. Instead, the leadership's attitude is business as usual. As caring and dedicated parents my husband and I will get involved in the larger educational debate and advocate for improvements; but in the meantime we will move our child out of this school.

Posted April 8, 2011

My daughter has been attending this school for close to one year and I'm very disappointed. Her teacher is very friendly and my daughter is happy with her however, the students in her class are very unruly and disrespectful. I have to agree that the parents are responsible for how their children behave but sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I don't even know if some of these parents even care. I'm also not pleased with the set up of the classrooms. On a visit I noticed there was no where for the children to hang their book bags or their coats. Everything was piled together in a corner and the children have to dig through the pile to find what they need. Gym is held in the classroom?? Are you serious? And to my understanding the gymnasium that is used for the lunch room is very unkept. I'm having a hard time with her finishing out the year there and will be pulling her out to somewhere she can flourish and be challenged. From the looks of it, 2009 was their last "good" year.

Posted November 17, 2010

Our child had an issue, which was only exacerbated by the poor attitude of the Guidance Counselor. Definitely recommend another school if top quality personnel are desired.

Posted February 28, 2010

Some of the teachers are satisfactory. However, I do not recommend sending your children to this school until a change of management staff occurs.

Posted April 28, 2009

Montpelier is an award winning school with the most dedicated staff.

Posted August 11, 2008

Montpelier was once an outstanding school. WIth the ushering in of a new administrative team, I have witnessed a decline in school moral, parent involvement and student achievement. I am glad that my child is going to the new school. Before I was affected by the boundary change I planned on moving him to a private school!

Posted May 17, 2008

In my opinion, the environment and administrative staff are not conducive to a quality education. In the event of a problem, do not expect support from the administrative staff.

Posted September 9, 2007

I wish this school had worked harder to assist my son with his problems in Math. If you cannot afford a tutor, you're SOL. There's no concentrated effort although it's an extremely common problem.

Posted March 28, 2007

I think most of the teachers are great, inspite of administration, and work really hard with children. I find that administration is mediocre. Hopefully, your child will get a good teacher and then you will not have to encounter the less than stellar administration.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
Level of special education programming offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9200 Muirkirk Rd