New Market, MD

Posted August 24, 2014
I feel compelled to respond to the review written on July 30th. It's obvious this parent is completely out of touch with the school itself. The school itself does not do any fundraising. Fundraising is only done by the PTA and the funds raised by the PTA are used to pay for school wide assemblies, Family Educational Fun Nights, classroom magazine subscriptions, student assistance, and enriching classroom materials. The sweat pants comment is just too funny - perhaps if this parent were really involved, they would have known that the Jump Rope for Heart program happens on those conference days. It's great that so many of our teachers participate! Personally I'd rather see my kids teachers in comfortable clothes participating with them in recess games, running laps with them outside or just being down on the floor involved with the little ones. I don't think you can say that a teacher wearing an executive outfit or suit makes for a better teacher than one who is dressed comfortably and more involved with the kids! DCES continues to be a top notch school in the county!

Posted July 30, 2014
Nice building. I wish it was full of people who cared about teaching. teachers wear sweat pants on Teacher Parent conference day. Teachers don't care and spend more time on fund raising. The principal is just the worst. It's like dealing with a spoiled brat. You can't win here folks.,

Posted May 08, 2014
Deer Crossing is a very caring and professional environment in my opinion. The staff are very warm and helpful.

Deer Crossing Elementary School 4

Posted April 04, 2014
This is a great school if your child is a typical learner. For children who might need a little extra help, but don't fall into the special ed category, it's mediocre. "extra help" is often given by parent volunteers, which is better than nothing, but doesn't quite cut it. I was also shocked to see how much homework is given in first grade this year as compared to prior years. DCES does a good job of creating cohesion and making school fun for the kids. There is definite room for improvement with regard to kids who need a little extra help, but overall we've been satisfied with the school.

Posted November 29, 2013
Very rude staff. The front office is as customer friendly as the Obamacare website. I would go private or home school if you are in this district. Or sell your house and move. It's that bad.

Deer Crossing Elementary School 3

Posted April 23, 2013
I wrote a review back in January that I was completely happy and satisfied with the school and services. Well, due to some continuing circumstances that are hard to get resolved, I am changing my opinion. Administration is getting harder to deal with and when they make a mistake with your child they do not apologize instead it is swept under the rug and there seems to be a lack of respect extended to the parents :( very unfortunate as this started out a great journey. There needs to be an "attitude adjustment". Look how the reviews started out years ago very positive...and now these recent two years not so good. I am keeping my eyes and ears open hoping to get a little more respect in the future.

Posted December 28, 2012
Great school our daughter is thriving! The K team is amazing and the rest of the staff is open, friendly, and know what they are doing! The PTA is great and hosts many original events for our family. We are do lucky to have made the decison to live near this great school. Kudos to the staff and thank you for your work!

Deer Crossing Elementary School 2

Posted October 28, 2012
Much room for improvement. D.C. public schools could teach this location a thing or two. This would explain home schooling's rise in Frederick county to be the highest per capita in the state of Maryland.

Posted August 12, 2012
This school is not a place to send your child. The literally "teach the test" rather than educating the children. The leadership is lacking at this institution. If you want to put your child's imagination to sleep you have come to the right place. Frederick county has charter schools and many other options available now and in the future. I would think most anyone could do better than the staff at the school this past year. No effort put into the children. This year it was all complaining about budget cuts and no educating. The budget per student at this school is $11,800 in state, local and federal spending. It is more than private schools which do a far better job. I don't know where the money goes although they did install a high end "jail type" security system this year and the school board has a fancy new headquarters. It might be that the teachers make more than the parents they work for. It might be the $100,000 a year principal's salary.

Posted April 06, 2012
Our teacher this year allowed my child to fall behind and forced all the classwork that was not completed on us. School did not take our concerns seriously. Deer Crossing is a lot like the MVA when it comes to customer service.

Deer Crossing Elementary School
10601 Finn Dr, New Market, MD  21774
Last modified Deer Crossing Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deer Crossing Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top