No rating

The Tome School

Private | K-12 | 492 students

Living in North East

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $226,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,090.

Posted April 23, 2014

This school makes college seem like a joke. College classes are much easier due to going to this school. I am graduating college with a 3.9 gpa this year, and it is all because of Tome. I was also apart of two sports and two clubs. There is always something to do at Tome, and the biggest part is it really does create a family. Five years later and we are still all hanging out with the people we graduated with.

Posted February 13, 2014

I am a freshman and I love it! Strong, classical education, non-religious, great teachers, and all taught at a college prep level. It is a college prep school, after all!

Posted September 4, 2013

I strongly dislike Tome. I would never recommend it. I am a student. Next year I plan on transferring and I can't wait! The teachers expect respect from the students, but most do not return the respect to the teachers. I did like lower school, but middle school has been the worst experience of my life. The teachers are unfair. I really miss my old principal...she was the best. I would only recommend this school if you wanted to ruin your child's childhood.

Posted June 27, 2012

The Tome School is a small K-12 private school located on a 100 acre campus in North East, MD. Students receive individual attention from their teachers as class sizes are kept small (less than 30 students per class). The small class size and dedication of the faculty and staff foster a warm, caring environment for students that is extremely conducive to learning. I have attended Tome as a student, worked at the school, and have a mother who is the former head of this school, so I have gotten to see Tome from various perspectives. Former students have gone on to Harvard, Cornell and other Ivy League universities. In order to arrange a visit, call the main office at 410-287-2050.

Posted May 4, 2012

I have two daughters at Tome and I could not be more happy with their education. I have found the faculty to be nothing but caring and supporting during our 8 years there. It is nice knowing they are receiving a great education by people who sincerely care about them. Keep up the great work!

Posted February 12, 2012

School offers no support to children, much of the staff seems unwilling to help students who are having issues.

Posted December 21, 2011

I attended Tome for several years, it's just an all around great school! It really prepared me for college.

Posted November 2, 2011

By the way, A. Bucci was not a teacher at Tome, but rather a parent who substituted periodically as part of a volunteer program the school offers for tuition reduction.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 5, 2011

BEST DECISION I EVER MADE. I graduated from this school recently and am now a successful college student. A college prep school, this is the institution's main concern. I learned how to read and write critically while still in high school. By the time I got to college, I was way ahead of my counterparts. The school requires you to dedicate much time and effort into your work but it is worth it in the end. Tome has some very special and gifted teachers who are patient, kind, and extremely intelligent. If you are willing to put the effort into your work, so are they. Free tutoring is offered by every teacher at least once a week. As far as extracurricular activites, the school may appear lacking. However, you have to remember that you can't join every club a public school would offer anyway. Tome offers many varsity sports, a drama club, envrirothon team, National Honor Society, Key Club, a band, Environmental Club. There is leadership opportunity for those who want to pursue it. I would not trade my high school experience for anything.

Posted March 2, 2011

Tome school is not for everyone. The school makes really good followers, no leaders! The teachers and staff seem friendly and kind until you sign that contract.! Then things change!

Posted January 7, 2010

This is the greatest school ever, with the greatest teachers who give their attention to all students. Everyone there is motivated and taught to be their own individual person. The head of school, Dr. Williams is a wonderful principal and the environment is perfect for the students who strive to succeed in life.

Posted November 16, 2009

This school is the best thing that has happened to our son! He is challenged everyday and is doing much better because of it. I love that they teach study habits for his future education. I wish I had learned that! I can't think of a bad thing to say about this school. We are extremely happy here.

Posted August 14, 2009

Tome is...unique, for lack of a better word. I've been here for nearly 12 years, and there have been times when I've desperately wanted to leave and times when I couldn't even imagine going to another school. Thankfully, more of the latter. Sure, the extracurriculars may not be so great, but no one here seems to have pointed out that, regardless of the minimalist nature of sports and music at tome, there is a higher percentage of students who participate in them than anywhere I know. We always talk about not having lives, but in all fairness, Tome has given me a much more well-rounded experience than I could have had anywhere else.

Posted March 30, 2009

Exceptional School! I enrolled my daughter in 7th grade and she will be graduating in 2010 from Tome! I have never regretted my decision to educate my children with the skilled and knowledgeable teachers they employ. The parents are actively involved and every student is respectful to their elders. I would highly recommend Tome!

Posted February 1, 2009

As a student attending Tome since sixth grade, the past four years have been exceptionally amazing. Coming from a public school, I was afraid of being 'snuffed of my social communication.' Then, after the first week, I adjusted and ever since, I've loved it. I love the teachers, students and our Head of School, Dr.Williams. Playing three sports (tennis, volleyball and cheerleading), there is a noticable difference of stress on sports and academics. Naturally, as a college prep school, Tome follows the grades-before-games policy. Tome School is wonderful in all its aspects and would recommend it to any parent looking for a college prep school.

Posted February 23, 2008

I will never regret the day we decided to enroll our son in Tome School. After 5 years, I can say with pride that he loves school, excels academically, and is far ahead of his public school peers. The leadership of Dr. Williams and quality and commitment of the teachers to the education and growth of the students is outstanding. I'd recommend Tome School to any parent.

Posted September 17, 2006

I think Tome is a great school in the academics department. However, Extracurricular activities leave a lot to be desired. If your child is a hard worker who is dedicated to academics, they will love the school. If they love music and want to play, they might not. Teacher involvement and support is exceptional, and school leadership from Dr. Williams is wonderful. The sense of family is great, and I highly recommend the school to anyone.

Posted June 9, 2005

This school has done wonders for our daughter. She started Tome in the 7th grade and struggled as she learned how to study and strive for excellence. She has just completed the 8th grade and we are amazed at how far she has come. Tome School has been the best decision we have made regarding her academic career.

Posted June 8, 2005

Tome is a college prep school that provides an outstanding education at an affordable cost. The faculty, administration, students and parents are dedicated to excellence.

Posted May 18, 2005

I graduated from this school and wanted to send my children there. The admission policy is arbitrary. It has an admissions test and a 'shadowing' that was presented as a day in the school to see if children like the school. My son (14) passed the admissions test but we were unaware that during the shadowing the teachers were evaluating him. None of the teachers spoke with him except to introduce him to the class. A teacher or two felt from his 'body' language that he didn't want to be there and stated not to admit him. They didn't like his 'baggy pants'. The director stated that she talked to him for about 15 minutes and was going by the teacher comments. My son asked us to sent him to this school. His sister attends this school and does well. She was admitted without a shadowing or speaking with teachers.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

581 South Maryland Avenue