Silver Spring, MD

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for showing interest in St. Bernadette School in Silver Spring, Md. We are a vibrant, safe, Catholic community that is changing and growing. Our test scores reflect the academic rigor delivered by our state certified teachers. In the Fall of 2014, 71% of our students scored above average in Mathematics and 81% of our students scored above average in Reading. Over the last five years, our 8th grade students have a 98% acceptance rate and received an average of $200,000 in four-year scholarships to area private and Catholic High Schools. Come by for a private tour at any time. We have open enrollment for many grades at this time. We look forward to meeting you!
February 04, 2015

Posted July 02, 2015
I disagree with the postings on June 12th. The discipline code is consistent and fair with high expectations and the teachers are evaluated and respond or are no longer in the school. Disgruntled parents will try to negate the good in schools.

St Bernadette School
Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 12, 2015
I think that the parents and some of the teachers do---the school requires submission from the students.

St Bernadette School 2

Posted June 12, 2015
Our family pulled our child out of this school after we reported and tried to work through a multitude of issues surrounding a faculty member who ran the classroom in a stern and negative way that made the children scared and uncomfortable--hardly the optimal learning environment. Our child did not feel safe in the classroom and administration did nothing but deny, avoid and deflect the issues we presented. Administration has not proven to be receptive in general to parent feedback--their attitude is my way or highway. There are some truly wonderful, dedicated teachers at this school, but if you get one who doesn't fit the bill, you're out of luck. The cheerful comments listed below about the school are the result of a push by administration to bury the negative comments on this site and raise the overall GS rating, so read them with a grain of salt. My children are now at another local school where they are thriving. Make sure you read all of the comments--including the ones far down on the list so that you are able make an educated decision about this school.

Posted February 19, 2015
Saint Bernadette is a wonderful school environment. This school goes out of its way to be inclusive to others. Service and Catholic Identity is interwoven into all that they do. Saint Bernadette has established a House system where the school community of all ages can come together. Academic excellence is an important aspect of our child's school day. Teachers expect their students to achieve to the best of their potential and celebrate their academic success. We are so happy at St. B's and know you will be to!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted February 04, 2015

Posted January 12, 2015
Our fourth-grade son has spent his entire elementary school career at St B's. We have been thrilled with the quality of the education he receives, the dedication of the faculty, the accessibility of the administrators and the great fun we have at school community events. Our feeling is that we have chosen well -- he will be ready to continue to excel when he reaches high school.

Posted December 19, 2014
I moved my child from MCPS to St. Bernadette for middle school. It was the best decision I ever made! He is thriving in this environment where his classmates want to learn. He only regret is that we did not move him sooner. He is involved in band, choir, and the drama program. He loves the spirit-centered environment. He has been welcomed by the students and has made new friends. There is something for every child at Saint Bernadette!

Posted December 01, 2014
We have three children at St. Bernadette School. My oldest is getting ready to graduate in the spring. We have been overly pleased with St. Bernadette's (St. B's). The rigorous education, caring teachers & staff, and wonderful community make this school truly wonderful. We have one child with a reading disability and the school/staff have been more than accommodating, helpful and caring. We know the parents of our children's friends which is hard to come by these days. We are very happy with the education, social, and spiritual life here. The classes are manageable and each of our children feel respected and happy going to school here.

Posted November 25, 2014
I have the unique experience to be both a parent and a teacher at St. Bernadette. My children had a great experience here and went on to a great high school, colleges and careers. As a teacher, I have seen many ups and some downs but that is because I have been here for a long time. We have a truly devoted group of teachers and administrators. The parents are supportive and give all as seen by our recent additions of a science lab and smartboards for all the classrooms.

Posted November 19, 2014
Saint Bernadette has been a very uplifting experience for me. I taught for 2 years in the public school systems in upstate New York and came to Maryland looking to find enthusiastic teachers and a way of strengthening my own relationship with God through my profession--luckily, I found both. Different teaching styles through all of K-8 but with one common goal: Educating the Whole Child. Though I have only been teaching here for a few years, I can proudly say that the school as a whole has become more driven towards community involvement and academic excellence.

St Bernadette School