Silver Spring, MD
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for showing interest in St. Bernadette School in Silver Spring, Md. We are a vibrant, safe, Catholic community that is changing and growing. Our test scores reflect the academic rigor delivered by our state certified teachers. In the Fall of 2014, 71% of our students scored above average in Mathematics and 81% of our students scored above average in Reading. Over the last five years, our 8th grade students have a 98% acceptance rate and received an average of $200,000 in four-year scholarships to area private and Catholic High Schools. Come by for a private tour at any time. We have open enrollment for many grades at this time. Our Open House will be on January 25th, 2015 from 10 am to 1:30 pm. We look forward to meeting you!
October 16, 2014

Posted December 19, 2014
I moved my child from MCPS to St. Bernadette for middle school. It was the best decision I ever made! He is thriving in this environment where his classmates want to learn. He only regret is that we did not move him sooner. He is involved in band, choir, and the drama program. He loves the spirit-centered environment. He has been welcomed by the students and has made new friends. There is something for every child at Saint Bernadette!

Posted December 01, 2014
We have three children at St. Bernadette School. My oldest is getting ready to graduate in the spring. We have been overly pleased with St. Bernadette's (St. B's). The rigorous education, caring teachers & staff, and wonderful community make this school truly wonderful. We have one child with a reading disability and the school/staff have been more than accommodating, helpful and caring. We know the parents of our children's friends which is hard to come by these days. We are very happy with the education, social, and spiritual life here. The classes are manageable and each of our children feel respected and happy going to school here.

Posted November 25, 2014
I have the unique experience to be both a parent and a teacher at St. Bernadette. My children had a great experience here and went on to a great high school, colleges and careers. As a teacher, I have seen many ups and some downs but that is because I have been here for a long time. We have a truly devoted group of teachers and administrators. The parents are supportive and give all as seen by our recent additions of a science lab and smartboards for all the classrooms.

Posted November 19, 2014
Saint Bernadette has been a very uplifting experience for me. I taught for 2 years in the public school systems in upstate New York and came to Maryland looking to find enthusiastic teachers and a way of strengthening my own relationship with God through my profession--luckily, I found both. Different teaching styles through all of K-8 but with one common goal: Educating the Whole Child. Though I have only been teaching here for a few years, I can proudly say that the school as a whole has become more driven towards community involvement and academic excellence.

Posted November 19, 2014
This is now my third year working as a teacher at Saint Bernadette, before which I was a reading specialist in the public schools, and I can honestly say that, in my 15 years of teaching, I have never seen a school with better readers. Saint Bernadette nurtures a culture of avid life-long readers who almost all read well above grade level. Students are generally very polite and kind to each other, in essence displaying true christian virtues.

Posted November 12, 2014
We have 2 children here and love it. The academics are rigorous but there is an emphasis on developing the whole child. Children here are taught how to act with each other and with adults in a responsible, caring, respectful manor. The parents in this community really enjoy providing support and friendship to each others families. Becoming part of St. B's is so much more then just where our kids go to school. Tuition isn't cheap but the experience is priceless.

St Bernadette School 4

Posted October 25, 2014
Overall, we really love St. B's. My child started here in 1st grade. It was a little hard at first because it is a tight knit community, but you get to know everyone quickly because there are so many events & all parents must make a volunteer commitment. The kids are very well mannered here. The academics are rigorous, but I think there's a little too much homework. And I wish they had focused more on diversity, languages, environmental sustainability, and improving the facilities (no gym, bathrooms need updating, no outdoor restroom for games).

Posted October 20, 2014
My 4 children started attending Saint Bernadette School in kindergarten and it has been a blessing. The teachers are friendly, professional and they meet the needs of the students. My two eldest children were well prepared for high school and were accepted into their first choice for high school. The Saint Bernadette community provides a great environment in the school and with their many special events from the Friday nights on the field, festivals, field trips and a great number of other school and social events. I strongly recommend this school on many levels.

Posted October 20, 2014
St. Bernadette's is a wonderful school that places emphasis on the development of the whole child. When you chose to send your child to a parochial school you are buying in to the importance of teaching values and morals and St. Bernadette's does an excellent job with this. Children graduate with great self confidence, compassion, and a solid perspective of what's important in life. The parents are actively involved and everyone "knows" your child. I could not be happier with the school.

Posted October 20, 2014
This year is our 9th year with St. B's. We love it. Academic rigor, emphasis on manners/respect, and a parent community we rely on big time. The social and moral "extras" here have more than justified the cash for us as parents. It's hard to be a parent today, and St. B's has filled in a lot of gaps for us ;)

St Bernadette School