Silver Spring, MD
Students enrolled: 1,674

Posted December 15, 2013
John F. Kennedy is a great school by a former student and current student (Me and my sister, who is a kennedy alumni). Kennedy has programs that force you to push your boundaries. For an example LTI (Leadership Training Institute) and IB (International Baccalaureate) these programs allow students to have the tools to become successful. Nonetheless the most important part in a child's education is parents involvement. When its lacking the teachers play an active supportive role to those students that seem motivated and focused. Like any other schools there are cliques. As a former student at a primarily while school I can honestly say there is more mobility and less bullying. The key to a great high school experience is a mix of extracurricular activities, great program involvement, and a good parent/teacher involvement this could found at kennedy. But everyone has to work hard to succeed in life. Alumni's from '06 have graduated from Princeton, Harvard and this includes 2 medical doctors. It sadden me to read that the school is full of drugs because this is a reflection of the parents not the school its self. If parent involvement is greater then the school would be different.

John F. Kennedy High School 1

Posted September 18, 2013
this school is full of drugs and bullies.the students are lazy and not cooprative with teachers. i would not recomend this school if you have any decency as to where your child is educated.

John F. Kennedy High School 1

Posted August 31, 2013
i think this school lacks diversity. there all black and Hispanic kids and no white kids. overall they lack diversity and if your white get excluded due to race.

John F. Kennedy High School 3

Posted August 03, 2012
As a former student of Kennedy (class of 2011) , I do have to say that a large number of students are subpar academically, and that there is a serious lack of motivation from students as a whole. This is evident in Kennedy's test scores when compared to the rest of the county's. There were a lot of wannabe-thug types, but you really become dismissive of them when you settle into your own niche. That being said, I had a great time at Kennedy when I was there. My teachers pushed me to do well academically, and I got accepted into the college of my choice. I felt well prepared when I got to college, and have had no problems keeping up academically with peers from other, more prestigious schools in the county. Kennedy's ECs were also fun, and often headed by motivated faculty interested in helping students. Yes, I'm sure some teachers were ineffective, and the administration seemed weak and downright ineffective sometimes (in handling fights, etc), but if you are bright, motivated, and looking for college preparation, Kennedy is a solid place to be. Don't regret it at all.

John F. Kennedy High School 3

Posted June 28, 2011
I graduated in the class of 2008 and while I excelled at Kenendy I certinaly wasn't pushed to go above and beyond academically. I did find though that if I put in the work the teachers were supportive. I found a place in the student goverment, LTI and College Institue. These programs all made my time amazing, but if you don't get invovled in things it can be a lot harder.

Posted May 31, 2011
the problem with our school is that we need to improve our hsas how can you help us by passing and doing good

John F. Kennedy High School 4

Posted November 06, 2010
I was a little concerned with my first daughter coming to Kennedy and we turned down the LTI program and chose Blair because of test scores and the reputations of the schools. That daughter had good friends in the Kennedy LTI program and they had an incredible experience. So when my next daughter had a chance to attend Leadership Training Institute (LTI) at Kennedy we accepted. We could not be happier. She has grown immensely and benefited from strong teacher and staff commitment and oversight. In particular, the LTI program is a great program. This past year, a new principal was brought in to replace someone who moved out of town. We know Dr. Minus from a former church and love his enthusiasm and his sincere passion and commitment to youth. We recommend this school and think they will continue to make strides to improve.

Posted January 11, 2010
This school is vicious i love it!! Everybody here is so close and friendly to each other,&&everybody here is like my second family. This school has so many cool,fun,and outgoing people its amazing. The staff is great and most will help you through everything. You can tell if someone is a Kennedy student a mile off. Most of us are loud, fun, outgoing, and unfortunately people tend to cuss a lot. We just straight fun. I think the fact that most of the students here live close to each other make us seem more like a family. You will definately like it here. Like some kids living in the area that go to schools like wheaton,blake,or springbrook always start off there&come here,because they know their missing out on something.There are a ton of parties,...but the kennedy staff definatley helps us balance our social and educational lives.Its great&a lot of fun.

Posted October 21, 2009
I Think this school has a great atmosphere and very positive on teens and parents

Posted September 22, 2009

John F. Kennedy High School
1901 Randolph Rd, Silver Spring, MD  20902
Last modified John F. Kennedy High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John F. Kennedy High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top