Silver Spring, MD

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted August 19, 2015
Depends on the teacher, but most teachers will sacrifice their own lunch and afternoon just to help a student understand a concept.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 19, 2015
Not really that much, but I'm not complaining either. It's good for preparing one for high school

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted August 19, 2015
Like other schools, some students try hard and others don't. Both result in varying success.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted August 19, 2015
They try, but most students don't listen during assemblies and such anyways. It's really just a school

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 19, 2015
Many students are actually very condescending towards others and do not practice what are typically considered good manners.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 19, 2015
You're basically beaten over the head with the "core values of CSI" - courtesy, safety, and integrity.

Takoma Park Middle School 3

Posted August 19, 2015
I attended this school because I was impressed by the academic programs this school has to offer in the Magnet Program. Unfortunately, this is the only reason I have given this school 3 stars. The school sells itself as a diverse community, yet there is a little hostility between teachers of the magnet classes and the non-magnet students and it is sometimes a little worrisome. Violence is somewhat rare, but in my three years at TP, there was one incident of a (false) bomb threat and a couple incidents of drug possession. Sports are supposedly decent, but I was not part of any team, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge. Academics, however, are excellent. Math and Science (with the exception of the 8th grade Mag Sci teacher) stand out particularly as being excellent. Foreign Languages are also rather strong, especially in the case of Spanish 2 & 3. Computer Science/Applications also tend to be strong, but apparently there will be a new teacher in the department, so it may change. World Studies and English are slightly better than most schools in the county, but are not anything too special. The music programs are rather peculiar at this school. The conductor, who is the same for all bands and orchestras, shows an indisputable favoritism towards the bands, yet the orchestras end up placing far higher while also playing far more challenging music. After-school clubs, while abundant, are, for the most part, very disorganized but still a good way to transition into high school clubs. Tl;dr - Is this school safe? Sort of. Academics? Great. Extracurricular? OK. Nothing too great.

Takoma Park Middle School 3

Posted November 13, 2014
I have a child who attends the magnet program at this school, and I do like this school, although I am frankly disappointed with a few aspects. The new principle (this is her second year) is amazing and really puts aside some time to try to contribute to the students - I've heard that the "theme" this year is superheroes, which my daughter thinks is pretty cool. Most of the teachers, as well, are definitely well-qualified and know what they are doing. However, there do seem to be some teachers who have less positive attitudes towards students, especially some non-magnet teachers towards the magnet. There's also the fact that last year, a student was apparently pushed into a locker and had to wait almost to the point of suffocation until rescued by building services. I was very scared for the safety of my child when I heard about this, and I think that somehow it's not something that would happen in some other schools. The curriculum of the school, however, is pretty challenging for the most part, depending on which teacher a student has, and most of the teachers that my child has had do present it in a relevant way that keeps my child looking forward to all of her classes.

Takoma Park Middle School 5

Posted April 30, 2014
I am currently a seventh grader at this school and i love it. From the minute i stepped in i felt welcomed and secure.There are so many nice teachers in and outside the magnet. The school has amazing bands, very many other electives such as Spanish, French, the home education class, computer applications, and multimedia. There are very many extra curricular activities too that you can enjoy. It is surprisingly diverse and filled with so many students that you are bound to find friends. It is the perfect stepping stone in between elementary and high school, because it welcomes you, teaches you, and challenges you, all while preparing you for high school or "the real world." I would generally recommend it to everyone, but some people might struggle with so many people and such a diverse environment. A Really Good School!!!

Takoma Park Middle School 4

Posted January 05, 2014
I am a student at TPM and I generally like it. I love most of my magnet classes even though I dislike some of those teachers. With that in mind, the non-magnet academic classes have ten somewhat of a problem. World Studies is fine and has good teachers, but an extremely easy curriculum for most of the magnet. Then there is English. At TPMS, all magnet students take a class called Advanced English 6, 7, or 8. This class is extremely easy and not up to any standards of a magnet student. The school offers this as the most advanced english course e The teachers for this class are generally not that great in my experience but, some are less than par. My electives are great here as well. I am in advanced band and our teacher is wonderful. Also, my spanish experiences here are great as well with some very experienced and challenging teachers. TPMS is the place to be for you if you really want to pursue math, science, and technology, but if you want more liberal arts, try somewhere else.

7611 Piney Branch Rd, Silver Spring, MD  20910
Last modified Takoma Park Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Takoma Park Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top