Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Depends on the teacher, but most teachers will sacrifice their own lunch and afternoon just to help a student understand a concept.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Not really that much, but I'm not complaining either. It's good for preparing one for high school

Develops character: Strongly agree

You're basically beaten over the head with the "core values of CSI" - courtesy, safety, and integrity.

I attended this school because I was impressed by the academic programs this school has to offer in the Magnet Program. Unfortunately, this is the only reason I have given this school 3 stars. The school sells itself as a diverse community, yet there is a little hostility between teachers of the magnet classes and the non-magnet students and it is sometimes a little worrisome. Violence is somewhat rare, but in my three years at TP, there was one incident of a (false) bomb threat and a couple incidents of drug possession. Sports are supposedly decent, but I was not part of any team, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge. Academics, however, are excellent. Math and Science (with the exception of the 8th grade Mag Sci teacher) stand out particularly as being excellent. Foreign Languages are also rather strong, especially in the case of Spanish 2 & 3. Computer Science/Applications also tend to be strong, but apparently there will be a new teacher in the department, so it may change. World Studies and English are slightly better than most schools in the county, but are not anything too special. The music programs are rather peculiar at this school. The conductor, who is the same for all bands and orchestras, shows an indisputable favoritism towards the bands, yet the orchestras end up placing far higher while also playing far more challenging music. After-school clubs, while abundant, are, for the most part, very disorganized but still a good way to transition into high school clubs. Tl;dr - Is this school safe? Sort of. Academics? Great. Extracurricular? OK. Nothing too great.

I have a child who attends the magnet program at this school, and I do like this school, although I am frankly disappointed with a few aspects. The new principle (this is her second year) is amazing and really puts aside some time to try to contribute to the students - I've heard that the "theme" this year is superheroes, which my daughter thinks is pretty cool. Most of the teachers, as well, are definitely well-qualified and know what they are doing. However, there do seem to be some teachers who have less positive attitudes towards students, especially some non-magnet teachers towards the magnet. There's also the fact that last year, a student was apparently pushed into a locker and had to wait almost to the point of suffocation until rescued by building services. I was very scared for the safety of my child when I heard about this, and I think that somehow it's not something that would happen in some other schools. The curriculum of the school, however, is pretty challenging for the most part, depending on which teacher a student has, and most of the teachers that my child has had do present it in a relevant way that keeps my child looking forward to all of her classes.

I am currently a seventh grader at this school and i love it. From the minute i stepped in i felt welcomed and secure.There are so many nice teachers in and outside the magnet. The school has amazing bands, very many other electives such as Spanish, French, the home education class, computer applications, and multimedia. There are very many extra curricular activities too that you can enjoy. It is surprisingly diverse and filled with so many students that you are bound to find friends. It is the perfect stepping stone in between elementary and high school, because it welcomes you, teaches you, and challenges you, all while preparing you for high school or "the real world." I would generally recommend it to everyone, but some people might struggle with so many people and such a diverse environment. A Really Good School!!!

I am a student at TPM and I generally like it. I love most of my magnet classes even though I dislike some of those teachers. With that in mind, the non-magnet academic classes have ten somewhat of a problem. World Studies is fine and has good teachers, but an extremely easy curriculum for most of the magnet. Then there is English. At TPMS, all magnet students take a class called Advanced English 6, 7, or 8. This class is extremely easy and not up to any standards of a magnet student. The school offers this as the most advanced english course e The teachers for this class are generally not that great in my experience but, some are less than par. My electives are great here as well. I am in advanced band and our teacher is wonderful. Also, my spanish experiences here are great as well with some very experienced and challenging teachers. TPMS is the place to be for you if you really want to pursue math, science, and technology, but if you want more liberal arts, try somewhere else.

To be honest (and as speaking as a student) the experience the school offers is great if you're in the magnet. If you're not, it's a normal school. Again, as the person below me said our English teachers are fine despite the school having a Math/Science/Computer Science focus. Really, I don't see a way TPMS could improve, it's already great the way it is (however closed-minded that sounds.) Clubs here are great, there are almost too many in my opinion XD the band is good, and I have no idea where the topic of bullying was raised. I.... haven't seen a single example of bullying in the three years I've been here? However the school demands a lot of work, but if you apply here that's what you're asking for :/

I am currently an eighth grader at this school and I couldn't be happier with my experience. While my friends have complained about some of the teachers I have never really disliked a teacher in the three years I've been here. Granted some are less than extraordinary but if you pay attention in class you will learn everything you need to know. The classes make the subject actually interesting and the student culture is such that everyone enjoys learning. On the topic of student culture, some people worry about fights and bullying. I've that you can easily avoid this by simply not making an effort to join in with misbehaving students. Bullying has never been an issue for me- as long as your friends are positive influences your social experience here will be great. Takoma really helps you become well-rounded, with a huge range of electives and after-school clubs. The diversity of talent and personalities is amazing. Contrary to popular belief our English classes are generally phenomenal. My current English teacher had previously taught AP English in high school, and he helps us prepare for high school English. After learning here for three years I know I'm ready for high school!

The extra-curricular activities are truly exemplary. While the humanities courses are not particularly strong due to the STEM magnet program, they are not weak either and most of the teachers are superb. The Science Teams and Math Teams are amazing as well. I couldn't have asked for more out of my experience here.

Last modified Takoma Park Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.