Baltimore Middle & Upper School

Private | 6-12 | 225 students

BLS is known for good sportsmanship and serving Christ in all we are and do.

Living in Towson

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $238,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Sweep tile

Posted October 23, 2012

Both of my children graduated from Baltimore Lutheran School within the past 5 years. My oldest child received a full scholarship to college and my youngest was accepted into the honors program with an academic scholarship, and was also accepted into an elite computer science group which is now working on a presentation for the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. I am thrilled with the education that was provided by Baltimore Lutheran School, I love how the spiritual teachings joined with our home and our church in helping them grow in their faith journey, and I love the family atmosphere and support that we experienced throughout the years. We are still active with the Baltimore Lutheran School Alumni Association, and we will forever be proud to be called Baltimore Lutheran School Saints.

Posted May 27, 2012

My son was a transfer student from a highly rated public school. We needed to make a change for social and academic reasons. BLS offers students of all academic levels the opportunity to excel. The teachers are qualified and choose to teach in a supportive and caring environment. From an activities perspective, the eliticism found in many public schools is absent. If you have an interest there is a place for you. More importantly we have found the student body to be amazing. These are kids with character and tolerance who welcomed my junior who felt at home from his first visit on a shadow day. He has grown immensely because of the kind community. In this supportive environment he has stepped up to the high academic expectations. BLS also offers plenty of opportunities for parental involvement. If you are considering Baltimore Lutheran School ask for a parent reference and you will learn first hand how this environment helps kids flourish.

Posted January 31, 2012

BLS is a fantastic school! Qualified, caring teachers. A wonderful Christian environment with an outstanding academic program. Many opportunities for extracurricular activities.

Posted July 8, 2009

I have two daughters at BLS - one in middle the other in high. Both girls are very happy socially and doing well academically despite the challenging academics. We LOVE the culture at Lutheran - small school that is very focused on Christian values. They do not tolerate bullying and ugly behaviors that tend to surface with teenagers. They do much with the students despite the challenging economic times. My only criticism is that the school needs to enlist and encourage greater support and participation from parents and alumni as well as volunteers willing to assist the school in any way possible. Regardless, I do see BLS evolving in a positive way. I hope to award them 5 stars in the year(s) to come!

Posted March 3, 2009

I currently have a child in the high school and a child in the middle school at BLS. My children are very different in the educational styles -- one needs assistance and one is an honor student. I feel very strongly that both students are getting exactly what they need educationally. The class sizes are small and that serves my students well! The staff is available for parents and students alike. The school is focused on it's mission statement and Christian values are the utmost.

Posted February 24, 2009

From a parents standpoint, this school could be much better. I would love it if they would survey the families for input like other schools. To me, this shows a lack of regard for our opinions as a customers. Areas that need improvement are athletics and teacher websites/Edline.

Posted February 7, 2009

I have a middle school boy with mild learning disabilities. He is in the STAR program. We find that program to be lacking in its willingness to provide timely information to the student and parent regarding tests and homework. The school also has the wonderful EDLINE system - however hardly anyone uses it and in fact we've been told by some teachers that they refuse to use it. Athletic offerings for the middle school are difficult to get into unless you are an outstanding athlete. Also there are no A & B teams like most of the schools we play have even though parents have offered to coach. Communication between the administration and the families is sorely lacking and often results in much confusion. Questions to the administration seem to be unwanted. Social functions are minimal and do not compare to other local private school functions. Arts are minimal.

Posted August 2, 2008

I'm a class of 2007 alumni, and I absolutely love BLS in retrospect. While it may not always have been perfect while I was there, I was shocked at how far ahead of other students I was when I began college. The values (both religious and academic) made the transition to the college academic world much smoother than it was for my public-school-educated peers. Classes that others found difficult I breezed through, thanks to what I was forced to learn during high school. Most of the teachers are wonderful. All are very unique, and often fun, characters. The school has always felt very safe to me, and (serious) rules are always stictly enforced. Illegal and inexcusable behavior will result in suspension or expulsion (I count at least 6 class members expelled though all four years), as will terminally failing grades, so irresponsible or dangerous behavior are seldom found on campus without punishment.

Posted July 12, 2008

I am the parent of a high school girl and a middle school boy as well as my oldest son graduated from BLS in 2006. He is now in college as a junior and believes that BLS was the greatest move that he could have made as a senior, having went to another extremely college prep. private school. My daughter absolutely loves the school and it's challenges as well as my younger son who definately gives the teachers a run for their money. They are all very wonderful and caring, yet strict when they need to be. I would refer anyone looking for a great school and well rounded childhood upbringing to visit BLS. You won't be disappointed.

Posted June 18, 2008

I am a parent of a middle school girl at BLS. My experience with BLS has been very positive, my daughter and I both love the christian environment and she especially loves chapel and the weekly bible verses. The teachers and staff are all friendly and very helful and caring. BLS is a very nurturing environment. BLS offers rigorous academics and extracurricular activities. So far BLS is the right place for my daughter.

Posted October 17, 2005

I am the parent of a middle school boy at BLS. Our experience there has been positive in some ways and difficult in others. We like the smaller and Christian atmosphere. Most of the teachers are very interested in being helpful, although a few are bent on being strict task masters. While I understand that coddling isn't best advised, I feel it is important to recognize that you are dealing with middle schoolers and not adults. The academics are extremely rigorous and require loads of time at the expense of having what I feel is adequate free time to enjoy still being a kid. Although I want a challenge for my child, I want him to also have a life. It needs to be noted that family, worship and recreational time can be as important as academics. He doesn't need to be ready to enter college in the 8th grade.

Posted February 22, 2004

Well, I am not a parent of a student who goes or went to Baltimore Lutheran. I am an alumni who graduated in June 2003. Lutheran provided me with the wisdom to further pursue my walk with Christ. The school gave me confidence and helped me to overcome the obstacles that life may throw our way. There are great extracurricular activities such as sports and 10 differnt club meetings held throughout the week. The teachers lead the club meetings in prayer and devotionals as well. Teachers are very encouraging and supportive of decisions made by students regarding personal problems and are always available to talk to a student.
—Submitted by a former student

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Calvary Lutheran Elementary
St. Peter's Lutheran Elementary
Pine Grove Elementary
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Spanish
Portuguese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Distinguished Secondary Educator (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • SADD

School start time
  • 8-8:15
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Alan Freeman, Headmaster
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Fax number
  • (410) 825-2506

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Art teacher(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on Middle States Reaccreditation