Largo High School

Public | 9-12

Posted October 25, 2013

Largo High School is not for the weak hearted. I am an alumni student and my 4 years at the school were exactly what the rumors confirmed. By the grace of God I made it out of that forsaken territory. With the help of self determination, select counselors, peers, teachers, and administration who really cared; I was able to make it out on time (C/O 2013). The setting is filled with troubled youth trying any and everything to find a way to be socially accepted, minus the kids that actually want to become something in life. It was definitely a wake up call for me, as I sometimes found myself caught up in the fun and excitement of "High School", which was easy to do because of the laissez-faire attitude portrayed by the staff. Definitely not the worst school, but far from the best. Not to mention the school building is as old as sin lol. However, The bonds made inside the school are unbreakable. I actually learned more from attending than actually being "taught" Nonetheless, It was definitely an experience to remember, a very bittersweet, tart experience lol.

Posted August 23, 2013

I just know what my son tells me. And if he like it I love it. No complaints this far. I have looked at the syllabus for each class he is taking. And I find these classes he is taking will bring him into his next level of education. Go Largo!

Posted December 15, 2012

The only thing good about this school is the Marching Band. The teachers try but the students overrule. Avoid this school unless you have a child who can ignore ignorance, get their work done in noisy classrooms and has a desire for band and music.

Posted November 15, 2012

I am a Largo alum, as well as a parent of a Largo HS student. She is in the biotechnology strand and we have no issues. I do believe some of the teachers could apply more effort, but I am on top of that. Yes, some of the kids are disrespectful/unruly in the halls. But it is up to the child to take his/her education seriously (with our help) and to decide right from wrong when we aren't around. Largo has proven to be just as great for my daugher as it was for me. I had AP classes while there. If you are a REAL parent, raising your kids with morals, standards, etc, Largo should be no problem.

Posted July 27, 2011

I first entered Largo as a junior in August 2010 and I was shocked. I came from Virginia and you had to know that the environment and the people was different from what I am used to. For one, the school is not diverse, the students are unruly to teachers and some teachers, take it or laugh it off and that's not right, the lunch is a mess (miss my school lunch back in Alex, VA) , the kids meander through the halls as if they have nothing better to do, and the place is old and stale, especially the nasty rest rooms. Not what I am used to but overall, its not a bad school. To me, just students who want to be bad. The people are nice, well some and it all depends on the student. Of course, there are kids who act up and there are kids who actually do a great job and the kids who do great jobs, get a bad rep for just attending Largo but that's why we work hard to differentiate ourselves from the knuckleheads and in the end we will be rewarding.

Posted March 18, 2011

Largo High School has many special programs that most people are not aware. Like any school, if the teachers and the administration KNOW that you are supportive and involved AND you have your student in one of the specialized educational offerings, it will be a rewarding experience for you and your student. From our spot visits, the school is conducive to successful learning and the days of daily brawls are no more. The school definitely needs more parent participation but that goes for all schools that we have visited and attended PTA meetings.The Academy of Finance is great and the students attend overnight trips that are extremely educational and enlightening! The students that attend Largo High School and graduate from the special programs will continue to excel in college, You get out of it what you put in! One thing for sure graduating from Largo with advanced classes and programs and maintining a good GPA with all the distractions that public school has, YOU ARE WELL PREPARED FOR COLLEGE AND LIFE IN GENERAL! GO LIONS!

Posted March 9, 2010

I think this school is off the chains and i definetly dont feel safe their. But I have to go their. I really dont like how the students take over the classrooms and tell the teachers what to do. If you think about putting your child in this school i recomend that you dont.

Posted October 1, 2008

I attended this school for almost two years. I transfered at the end of eleventh grade. It is a terrible place to send your child from the students to the staff and to the work ethic. In my opinion, I would say there is only about one teacher in each grade (out of all the teachers and staff) that actully care about the students and giving them an education. Because of the original reputation that LHS has had for many years, the newer generation continue those crazy antics in the school's society. Authority has no respect for the students as to help them in bad times, or take on a situtation (as in a fight) in ways that a school should. The teachers do not care, administration is poorly put together. The Nothing benefits from coming to this school.

Posted September 29, 2008

Don't go to largo high school if you plan on going somewhere in life. If you do you'll have to work like heck. Careless teachers, outrageous students, poor facilities, and lack of supplies(text books, etc.). Getting an education to go to college should never be this stressful and how do i know? I've seen examples of good schools and this is not one of them. I am not proud to be a largo high school student.

Posted September 28, 2008

I am currently a senior at LHS, and I have expreienced the worse of times and I am blessed to have experienced the best of times. Since our new principal stepped in last year, she has made a positive change to the school. She has implemented programs that helps the students from all grades to prepare for post-secondarly life such as Advisory classes and College Summit. Honestly she has walked into a mess and she was able to turn it around and i applaud her. She didn't give up on us like some of the parent's that have posted comments have. My mother is very much involved in the school and there needs to be more like her. We don't need parents coming up to the school when their child gets suspended or when homecoming is cancelled, we need parents to be up there on back to school night for PTA.

Posted May 2, 2008

As a former student, I'm in agreement that the environment is horrible. The students are much akin to a mob; subjecting each other to suffering in an unimaginable way. Few of my fellow students at all ever showed any sort of initiative, interest, or action, that is, aside from the ridiculous displays alluded to (discrimination within classes, fights, etc. being prime among them.) The students, are without a doubt, a motley lot. That is to say nothing of the teachers, though, who suffered far worse than some gawky white kid who went a few years back. The teachers are easily mistreated, disrespected, and taken for granted, merely ignored on most occasions, though. These are guys who deserve so much more, having shown a love for what they do, if not a general interest. My heart goes out to men like Mr. Olushegun, Layne, and Bedford who work in this veritable Hell.

Posted January 13, 2008

I have two children that attend Largo and their experiences are night and day. My one child takes AP classes and has had no issue with class disruption. While my other child's classrooms (which are not AP classes) are plagued with disrespectful students and teachers that either do not know how to handle those situations or choose to ignore the situation. A typical day in those classes consist of student using profanity towards teachers, students leaving class without permission, & numerous other disruptive behaviors. At given time there are students roaming the hallway either on their cell phones ore listening to mp3 players. noted that Largo has a new badging system to track students. The badging system only confirms that the student at least walked into the building. I could go on with an extensive laundry list, but I am limited in the forum. Avoid this school if possible.

Posted November 26, 2007

A a Biotech honors student, I am getting one of the best educations I've ever had. Teachers are on par, principal leadership is improving daily. New technological equipment is provided for all students. No favoritism is shown towards sports teams or anyone else. They now have a advanced security system in which you swipe the LHS ID card in a attendence slot. This tracks students cutting class, and tells if your child has been to school or not. Up to date media center, computers, and gym equipment. Largo is a mutual environment of learning and respect, and Irecommend others to go to Largo's extensive programs and wonderful evening high school for those adults who have not gotten their diploma. (you can still earn one at Largo's Eve. High as well.) You'll look foward to it!

Posted March 3, 2007

Largo High School is not the worse school on the face of the earth. All these parents talking this drivel are getting on my nerves. There are troublesome students there just as any other high school. Its just for some reason we receive more attention. As someone has already said, Largo provides some of the most promising academic programs. There are pre-college courses, and career-prep courses. Now, you cannot blame the school, teachers or administration for the behaviors of the students. Their behavior is a reflection of their upbringing and everyday environment. Not everyone who comes out of Largo is a mess. Many parents are not involved in the events taking place.

Posted December 14, 2006

I am an honor student at Largo, and the horrible comments made about it, I find them to be quite offensive. Largo is filled with amazing students, brilliant students, most of which I am friends with. The fact of the matter is that all of Largo's good is constantly overshadowed by negativity. One thing that everyone should understand is that, it is the students, and by extension, the parents, not the school. Largo has many good programs(e.g. Biotech... Law... Finance... AP), many of which the students don't take seriously. They simply don't take these courses, nor do they utilize their resources such as a Career center, something that most schools do not have. The students are not motivated enough. Why? The lack of motivation is causing Largo to lose a good staff, funding, and more AP courses. Do you get it now? It's not the school, it is the students!

Posted December 13, 2006

I think that whatever people are saying about Largo High School is true. Our kids go there to act up because they know they can and will get away with it. Also you have to look at how long that school has been there and how it looks. Also you have to look at the teachers. The school system always says 'no child left behind' and I dont see anyone waiting for a single student in that school.

Posted November 30, 2006

My son is a first year student at Largo High School. I think that there is more room improvement between the student, parents and teachers. I have call on several times to request for a PTA conference and had no answer from Guidance. His one one teacher is very responsive to school notes which is great. I am learning as a parent to go to the school notes and look to ensure that I can help with the need that my child is following the homework assignments. I think with any school it will take all of us to improve. It don't matter where you go. I would like to see more collaboration among us all to make it get better over time, because that is what it going to take to get there is time, patience and ownership of all of our responsibility in the class, as students & parents.

Posted October 12, 2006

This has been my worst experience in the public school system since my daughter has been in school. She is a sophomore this year and every year it seems to get worse. They decided to go to uniforms this year, which was fine with me since my daughter has worn uniforms since being in school, her freshman year at Largo being her first year not wearing them. This year has been a total debacle to say the least. If you have another choice go there.

Posted October 2, 2006

This students at this school(not all, but alot of them)are out of control. I am a former student at this school. The teachers are great. It's the students in the class that make it hard to learn anything. All of my classes were very disruptive. Leaving was the best thing that happened to me.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 20, 2006

I've attended Largo all 3 and coming up on 4 years of my high school career and I think that everything negative that people are saying is unbelievable. Most people saying these things are people that know absoultely nothing about Largo. People make it seem like our school is a zoo and it's not. No school is perfect, not even the brand new ones that parents just have to have their kids in are. Largo offers programs that most schools in PG County don't have. And if some of you took the time to actually read up on Largo instead of just bashing the school and it's teaching staff and students you'd know that. We have science&tech. programs, a Law, Finance, and an Entrepeneurship that are offered to students their sophimore year. And there are plenty of worse schools in PG, others have made the evening news!

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

236 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

505 Largo Rd