Bad
Good

This schools teachers go out of their way to help me with providing quality education for my son. They also give me many opportunities to work directly in the classroom with the teachers to aid in my sons education.

The administration at this school is pretty bad. The principal, who I don t think is there anymore nor is my child thankfully, was simply put, a very cold person. I know her job isn t to be the students and teacher s best friends, but her demeanor, which sets the tone for the whole school, left a lot to be desired. This negative attitude trickled down and made Hickory a less than desirable place to be for students and staff alike. On top of not being a nice person, I truly think the principal was in over her head. To compensate for her ineptitude she micromanaged every aspect of the school. I would avoid this school as well as most in Washington County. Make no mistake, there are lots of good teachers in the county, but leadership leaves a lot to be desired.

We are so thankful that we are in the Hickory Elementary School area! Please don't take the rating of "4 out of 10" to be bad! There are children from many different backgrounds and cultures in this school and I am sure that does contribute to a difference in test scores. The teachers and staff have been very supportive of certain personal beliefs. I have volunteered at the school and on field trips, and having had an "inside" look, I really love that my kids attend here. They welcome and even encourage parent participation at the school and in school activities at home. You are welcome to come and eat lunch with your child. It is a small school with Title I status, so everyone gets a free breakfast before school starts, and all school supplies are provided. My kids love their teachers and look forward to going to school every day.

My son learned more in the first half of Kindergarten at a public school in Frederick, MD than he did throughout the entire first grade at Hickory. Thank goodness he got out before second grade because he was accepted into a magnet school. Despite conferences with the principal, teacher, and academic advisor, Hickory made no efforts to accommodate his intelligence and move him along faster. Instead let him stagnate and had him teach other students who were having trouble with basic skills when he should be learning, not teaching. If your child is having difficulty, would you want him/her being taught by a teacher or a student of the same age? If the latter is fine with you, then by all means Hickory will be a fantastic choice. The first impression my children (4th grade and 1st grade at the time) got when they arrived to Hickory was their shock at how far behind the class was, how much the students cursed, and how much violence they witnessed when compared to their public school in Frederick.

My oldest son is in 5th grade and has attended Hicory since he started school. I can't begine to say how much I love this school. The teachers are top notch and go above and beyond, which is hard to find these days. The principal is easy to talk to and willing to help. It has been a great experience and I'm thrilled my other children will attend this great school. Recently the school won the blue ribbon award. It speaks to it's high quality.

Last modified Hickory Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.