No rating

St. Augustine Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 460 students

Living in Andover

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $459,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,130.

Posted May 19, 2014

I heard some parents talking about a review they disagreed with on this site about our school, so I came on and looked at it. This is our first year in this school, and as a working mom and dad, we've been overall satisfied this year, but will continue to watch the curriculum due to the post below. However, a lot of the posts about the community and family feel of the school leave me confused. Maybe as a first year parent, I'm not as in tune, but is a certain clique of parents that are very involved, and if a parent has different ideas on anything big or small, those parents often get bad mouthed or excluded socially. I volunteered in small positions a few times this year and felt a bit left out. Maybe because I work and don't really know a lot of people, don't know. I've heard some parents talk about others behind their backs. Due to this and a busy work schedule, I won't be as involved next year. I guess you can find this at any school, but the message of community just didn't seem to reflect my experience there this year. Maybe it will change next year. It really turned me off. Other than that, we're happy for the time being with the school as a whole.

Posted January 18, 2014

I am a current parent of two of St. Augustine's finest. We have been members of this amazing school community for six years. Our first and lasting impression happened with our first meeting with the nursery teacher. Since then the dedication, knowledge and caring of each subsequent teacher has only increased. This school is not only a place where my boys go to learn to read and write but also a place where their morals and ethics are valued and further nurtured. We pledge alliance and we pray. We champion each other and we pick each other up when we are down. This mentality is fostered from the administration through the students and back to the parents. We are a team with the goal of creating the future leaders of our great nation. If you are looking for a quality education and a community of caring parents and staff - you have found it .

Posted January 15, 2014

I am a parent of a current student at St. Augustine and I and my child could not be happier at this school. This school is truly a community with caring teachers, administration and parents. I strongly disagree with the statement posted on jun 4th. I am unaware of any ill effects that my child has suffered due to this common core. In fact I have seen the opposite my child has been challenged to think about the answers to problems instead of memorization. I feel the change has been good. The school I feel is very challenging and rigorous. In addition to the academics my child is learning right from wrong and learning that there are consequences for actions. Morals and discipline are very much a part of the children's day to day life at the school. This you will not find at a public school in any town! I would recommend St. Augustine's to anyone who wants a top notch eduction for their child!

Posted January 15, 2014

St Augustine is a very fairly priced parochial school with all the characteristics of the best schools in the nation; a caring staff, small class size, and one of the most committed school administrations a parent can find. I have had my children in top-rated private schools in Florida and New York City and St A's compares with these schools at a fraction of the cost. The school has been an Andover institution for 100 years, literally, and a large portion of the student body is made up of children of St A's alumni. I would suggest to the parent who made the Jan 9 comment that if she doesn't like how St. A's is run that she pick a school she likes better and move on rather than allow personal vendetta against the common core sully the reputation of a great school. New families should take the time to visit the school, talk to the faculty, staff and even children so they assess the quality of St. A's for themselves.

Posted January 9, 2014

Unfortunately, St A's Andover, MA has gone the route of Common Core this school year 2013-2014 (Common Core Catholic Identity Initiative - which is CC infused with Catholicism) . As a St Augustine Andover, MA parent, I am beyond disappointed and feel utterly betrayed. St Augustine's decided without parental consent or knowledge to move forward with this unproven, untested, controversial curriculum despite having a choice to adopt it or not. So many parents are unaware of this 'change' in direction of the school that I feel obligated to let as many people know as possible before they pay a premium for what is essentially a public school education with a hefty bill. Would I recommend St Augustine's to new parents? No, not unless you want to pay a premium for essentially the same curriculum as your local public school system. Unless they reject Common Core outright, or reject and halt implementation until results come in from the public schools then I would suggest saving your money and paying for a tutor or a math school that can undo what Common Core is doing.

Posted August 15, 2013

Although Andover, MA has an excellent school system, we decided to send our children to St. Augustine Elementary School because we wanted smaller class sizes and daily religion class. St. A's more than met our expectations. The faculty and students formed a close knit, caring group that supports one another. Our children respected their teachers and the teachers respected them. Parents were welcomed to participate in their children's education. St A's was a great second home for our entire family.

Posted July 2, 2012

This is a wonderful school with an excellent faculty and staff, caring teachers and a great principal. The parents are very involved with the school and many have attended here when they were young. This school has a warm family environment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 20, 2012

Very rude crossing guard on duty for this school the afternoon of 3/20/12. Heavy set, blonde hair in a bun, aged 50-60. Rude and unpleasant to passers-by. Makes you wonder how she is to the kids? The kids deserve a kind and friendly crossing guard, not this grouch!

Posted September 26, 2011

I 'm very disappoint with this school.I was call the principle and leave her a message twice because I want to asked her about my child BUT she never return my call.

Posted March 18, 2010

I have sent 4 children to St. Augustine and though they are all different in their academic strengths and learning styles (2 with ADD), the three that have moved onto high school and college are way ahead of their peers in many subject areas. With respect to an earlier 'review' claiming discrimination, one of my son's best friends while attending there was African-American, and they never experienced (I asked) racial slurs or discrimination in the school. The school teaches Christian values of love for all people and the students spend time in and out of school in service of various charities such as Lazarus House, Hike for Hope, Pennies for Pesos, etc. I'm surprised that greatschools.com let someone write such an unsupportable and incorrect review of the school. If their child was truly discriminated against. Never would such behavior be tolerated by teachers or students!

Posted March 22, 2008

I strongly discourage anyone from sending a child of theirs to this institution. As a parent who has sent two children of my own to this school, I have come to regret spending my hard-earned salary on their tuition at the school, when they could have gotten a superior education at a public school. The teachers lack understanding of students and parents, bringing my children to tears and my spouse and I to fits of anger. The school lacks basic facilities seen in nearly every school, even in Lawrence. Racial discrimination is also a key problem at the school. There have been several instances where there have been antisemetic and racial comments written in public spaces. This is unnacceptable, especially for a school that preaches a Catholic education based on reverence, respect, and responsibility.

Posted September 29, 2007

Parent involvement is exceptional. If you're looking for a great education for your children in a loving, Catholic environment, this is it.

Posted June 24, 2007

Excellent school ! The teachers are dedicated and outstanding. The students are motivated to learn. Strong parental involvement. Faith based learning provides a strong moral foundation. Impressive academics. Reasonable tuition.

Posted August 26, 2005

I want to apologize for my previous statement. The episode was misconstrued by myself. I've received so much help from staff after the incident. The principal overall, is an exceptional leader. The school should not be held accountable for other people's opionions or behavior. A childs education first begins at home. The children are thought to be respectful and fair at St.Augustine. The principal of St. Augustine is a great leader. Her strength and encouragment gives you enlightment and direction. If you are thinking of sending your child, it's a good investment.

Posted December 15, 2004

If you are a parent of a minority background, I strongly discouraged you from having your child attending this school. My son was subjected to Racial incidents and Harassment from the students, which was tolerated by the staff of St. Augustine Elementary School. An educational institution has a duty to provide a nondiscriminatory environment that is conducive to learning. In addition to the curriculum, students learn about many different aspects of human life and interaction from school. The type of environment that is tolerated or encouraged by or at a school can therefore send a particularly strong signal to, and serve as an influential lesson for, its students.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:45 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Music room
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Boston

Media arts
  • None

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

26 Central Street