7-12 & Ungraded
Boston, MA

Posted October 05, 2014
BLS is truly a great school. But only if you put in huge amounts of effort. 7th grade is HARD. Expect 3 hours of homework a night, 4 with studying. The teachers don't really do a lot of individual help, so if you're struggling... I strongly suggest getting a tutor. Definitely sink or swim. Probably 20 out of 300 kids in my grade transferred out after 7th grade. About 10-15 got held back. 8th grade was surprisingly a LOT easier. A lot more fun, too. But beware- the tests are really hard, ESPECIALLY the finals. I had a 100 in math the whole year, 100s on every test. The final brought my grade down to a 95. I know that that isn't bad, but what if you had an A- and it dropped you down to a B? No more approbation with distinction for you. The Latin final was incredibly difficult, and I did terrible. TERRIBLE. It dropped my grade by 9 points. (99 to 90) Homework wise, 1 hour, but 2 with studying. I'm currently in 9th grade, and it's not too bad SO FAR. I definitely have some crazy teachers, but I really thought it would be a lot worse. For homework, so far it's 2 hours, 3 with studying. Keep in mind, these are just my personal experiences. Hope I helped!

Boston Latin School 3

Posted April 26, 2014
This school is incredibly stressful, but it can help you get into your dream college.

Posted February 15, 2014
.7th grade is going to be rough. 8th grade is weird because you would think that it gets harder, it actually is easy.Eighth grade does a mediocre job of preparing you for ninth, so be prepared!I you can get some crazy teachers. If you slack off the slightest bit, probably you will get Cs/Ds. I work hard, get mostly Bs.YOU are applying for a school which is going to require nothing but studying.There are moments when you just wanna give up. But the way I figure it, couple of hours of harsh studying is better than years regretting that you never took advantage of this school. Believe me when i say that if you are not ready for this commitment, I DONT CARE HOW SMART u THINK YOU ARE, , tell ur parents u cant go 2 this school! cus if you do, i can guaruntee you its going to eat you out alive if you dont study. Ive seen people that have literally become depressed after coming here because they couldnt make it.5 stars because its a stimulation of life, for example,In life there are going to be unreasonable bosses/(like some teachers). Btw,You cannot fiight the teachers, no matter how unreasonable they might be, you WILL lose.Take my advice, its the reality no one told you.

Posted February 08, 2014
The school is a great school overall for a learning environment. I am a sixie currently and there are good and bad things at this school. To start with the downsides, not all teachers are good. My earth science teacher doesn't have a really good teaching style so it might be a bit hard for students to learn. Personally i don't like declamation but it will be good for the future. The fact that there are no yellow school buses is also a pain but you could understand since the school is located in such a busy area. Homework usually takes a while, usually 4 hours for me but I tend to procrastinate a lot. There's also a lot of tests and quizzes, at least one per week. Latin is also pretty hard to get use to but all you need to do is memorize really. Some good things about this school is that the offer fun opportunities too like the sixie icecream social. They also offer a large range of instruments to take, or theatre if you don't want to take an instrument. There's also teams and clubs to join just like any school. Teachers also know the pain that students must go through and are really nice and like to joke around with students. It's a great school if you get accepted.

Posted October 23, 2013
Let me lay it out for the first two years.. Sixie year is going to be fun if you socialize but no when to pay attention and when to have fun. Pay attention to your teachers because the finals are extremely hard. Some teachers are better than others in there discipline, some honestly don't care. You MUST pay attention in Latin, no matter who your teacher is. Same in math, because it gets WAY harder in 8th grade. Don't stress out on sixie year, its more of a trial of what BLS is really like. If you don't immediately think you can succeed, BLS is not for you. 8th grade year is the same but you have to pay a lot more especially in Latin if you have Ms. LeDang, she is extremely hard. So if you had Mr. Smith sixie year, good luck. Other than that 8th grade is more to prepare you for high school than anything else. Make sure you do all your homework, whether the teacher checks it or not. Class is fun if you have a good sense of humor, the teachers may tease you but it's not anything you should take personally. Good luck!

Posted July 26, 2013
My experience at Boston Latin School has been 99% positive in terms of the people I have met, classes I have taken, and activities I did in those 6 years. Let me discuss the pros and cons of this school: Pros: 1. Definitely prepares you well for college. My fellow alumni and I all say that college is a lot easier (compared to what our college classmates say) 2. The people you meet at Latin are from all socio-economic classes, so there's never any arrogance in terms of $. 3. Lots of activities 4. MANY, but not ALL good teachers. 5. No bullying-- Since BLS is an exam school, most of the kids here are geared towards studying. I have not witnessed any bullying through my 6 years there. 6. Awesome colleges! 40 kids each year get into top 20 universities in the nation! Cons 1. Little personal attention 2. Lack of athletic facilities 3. Lack of funds in general (hey, it's a public school) 4. FEW-SOME bad teachers that either can't teach or are just crazy altogether Overall, I loved my experience at BLS. For me, the transition was tough, but hanging in and not giving up was more than worth it!

Boston Latin School 3

Posted July 25, 2013
I appreciate Boston Latin School for all the opportunities it offers, in terms of internships, jobs, programs, and fellowships. I also appreciate the school for the wide variety of students there are to meet- it's very diverse! I do, however, feel that the school is emotionally and mentally draining. Sure, it offers an excellent education, but the administration and teachers don't realize that it's important to change the style of teaching. It's now 2013. Constant tests and quizzes are not the only way to measure a student's learning. Studies show that more work piled onto students put them at a risk for depression. You get a sense that you must conform to society's standards, or else you're screwed. Bring up feminists and civil/human rights, you get sneers. Students lose creativity.There's no in between- you either get students who hate BLS and aren't doing so well, or students who get 100s on everything. Teachers know their material, but don't know how to teach. The math department is awful. There is little to no support offered to students who are struggling, and those who are struggling are often scared to ask for help because of the intense atmosphere that lives around them.

Boston Latin School 2

Posted October 11, 2012
This school is a meat grinder. If you are brilliant but have the slightest tendency to 'color outside the lines' Don't Go Here. The administration at this school understand that there's a line of kids waiting to take the place of any student who 'opts' to leave, and they will accommodate to degree zero to help a struggling student, though they do lip service to tutoring - just a way for older students to beef up their college application resumes with 'community service'.

Posted September 25, 2012
If you are determined, a hard worker, and know how to manage your time, this school will be one of the best experiences in your life!

Posted August 10, 2011
My son will be a 9th grader at Latin this fall, and my husband went there years ago. There are many things I love about Latin---the traditions, the active clubs and most of all the students. My son has met interesting talented kids from all over the world and made many wonderful friends, and my husband still is close with so many of his friends from his Latin days. However, I must say the academics are not what I expected. My other son attends a charter school, and has much more homework and is learning much more than my Latin son. The teachers are hit or miss---some are fantastic, some are so bad it's laughable. Overall, Latin is a fantastic experience, but not for everyone. It's a huge school, and if you have a child who would easily get lost in the shuffle, I'd pick someplace else. But if you have a fairly outgoing child, a self-starter who will enjoy being around the bunch of interesting characters there, it's a unique and amazing school.

Boston Latin School
78 Ave Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA  02115
Last modified Boston Latin School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Boston Latin School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top