Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

After graduating from the class of 2016 I could not think of a better school that I could have chosen than Bourne High School. Even though it was a small division 3 school with about 400 kids total I had the best four years of my life getting to know all my classmates and peers. It has prepared me beyond the credentials I needed for future education now that I am a student at a 17,000 undergraduate division 1 school. I can't help but laugh reading these bad reviews when you're a resident of Bourne paying taxes to the school yet you send your kids elsewhere. Always remember it doesn't matter where you start it's where you end up and if you look back at Bourne High School Alumni the majority of us are doing great things and ended up just fine. I am nothing but greatful that I got to represent my hometown while wearing my purple colors while on and off the ice or field. Go Canalmen

I used to go to a school in south carolina, I had straight A's and B's and then i came to bourne and im in danger of failing and not graduating for the year. The teachers do not care to help you if you ask, they say "figure it out yourself" This school system is a joke

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

All the teachers at this school are rude. They do not care for the students that are doing bad. They expect all students to learn at the same pace but you can't have a class full of 20 students and expect them all to learn everything all at the same time. Everyone learns differently. But the teachers will never understand that. Thats why they work at Bourne High School.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school FAVORITES certain students. Preferably the "star athletes". If you don't play sports then this is not the school for you because they will find any reason to get on you. Its funny because the "star athletes" are the students that bully other students and are the ones that party every weekend but the teachers at this school will never understand or see that and are only down to get the students that don't play sports and don't get the best grades but in reality, those are the nicest and best students in the school but they suffer from being in this awful school with the staff and star athletes.

School is full of bullies. If you want to get bullied come to Bourne High School.

It's been a terrific 4 years at BHS. Great teachers, great friends, small classes, high level of instruction. I found the teachers worked hard, but we were expected to do the same. I've heard that some lower level classes weren't challenging, but I suspect that was because many students just didn't want to work (I've seen that with many of my classmates). For a small school, it's got enough challenging classes and enough sports and extracurricular to keep any college minded student excited.

I attended Bourne High in 1999 as a freshman and left to go to Sturgis because Bourne was so bad. The teachers paid no attention to anyone unless they were poorly behaved. I got good grades and was ignored. My brother also attended Bourne High, and like I saw in another review, he was targeted as a bad apple and constantly picked on and blamed for things he did not do by the teachers. I expect teachers to challenge students no matter what their academic level or skills are, but the teachers at Bourne just do not care about the kids or educating them. Bourne High just pushes kids through and offers little to no support to students who are advanced or who are struggling. I noticed a positive review by a student posted on here, it is full of spelling mistakes and grammar errors, something I think is typical of Bourne students. I spoke with a friend who stayed at Bourne for all four years of high school and she said she was completely unprepared for college because no one at Bourne taught her how to write a paper. On top of all of this, the school is completely run down and just depressing to be in. It's no surprise that 40% of students from Bourne choose to attend other schools.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the parents here who feel that the school is not good. If your child naturally does well and doesn't need help, they can make it through. This is not the school for any child that struggles or is on an IEP. Discipline is also unfairly handed out - once a student is targeted, it's all over. Dress codes are a joke. Also, for those parents who find a sense of bigotry, that is true of Bourne in general.

Both of my sons attend Bourne High School and I am mostly happy with the Principal and faculty. My older son does well academically and with sports. My younger son has had issues with his grades and I find that most of his teachers are willing to help in any way possible. There are always "those" teachers that are lacking, but this is an issue in most schools. The parents should be held just as accountable as the teachers. Every child should excel in an environment like Bourne High School, there's no excuse no to do well when the tools are available.

My child attends this school and feels so overlooked by the staff and teachers because of her being a minority.Not to say there is racism there, but feels unconnected due to the fact that there are no minority teachers who can understand where she's coming from.If you're not a star athelete, you're forgotten about and tossed to the wayside.

Last modified Bourne High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.