Bad
Good

This school is the best. It gives our children the oppurtunity to try didffrent insturments like the electric guitar

I previously wrote about how great the Tobin was in 2009. That was before my transition out of the school. I can't say the school is that great anymore. Back then, it was wonderful for OTHER students. As I write this review, I realized it wasn't the school for me. The teachers were great, but for differentiated learning.. They weren't that great. The students, I had a lot of trouble getting along with people. Maybe it was just me, or maybe it was the community in which we all came from. I just didn't have a great social experience. The principal is horrible. I detest her, she isn't a good enough leader for the school, and it shows in the test scores. I left the school a few years back, and received many MCAS test scores from the school, because of my sister who attended the Tobin. The test scores were horrible after my classmates (those who wanted to do something with their lives and join a rigorous program called the ISP, which they -school board- got rid of) left. We were the top scorers for the school, and once we left it was doing very bad. All I can say is, steer clear of Cambridge schools. The IA is setting up your children to fail. I recommend not to attend a CPSD school.

As a public Montessori school, the Tobin Montessori (TM) is somewhat of a work in progress, but progress is what this school has been about since its inception. With strong Montessori administration/leadership and very talented and invested teachers, this program is thriving despite the typical public school funding obstacles. Staying true to form, each child at the TM has the opportunity for a true Montessori education yet with the diversity offered by an urban, public environment. Furthermore, the parent/community involvement at the TM is "off the charts!" I have two children at the school and my wife and I could not be more pleased with their educational opportunities. It is exactly what we had hoped for them.

My kids (7 and 5 years old) are attending Tobin in the English Special Immersion program and the experience is being very positive. The ratio teacher/student is about 1/5 and the ambient is wonderful! Teacher are excellent and very devoted to their task. All the teachers, staff and the principal are very involved in improving the school and there is a special interest in promoting family participation in the school activities. All the parents I have met at the school are very happy with the setting (specially those with kids in the Montesori program).

The Tobin School was incredible for my sons. They both had little English when they arrived and some transition issues. However, the Tobin school personalized their relationships and went out of their way to respond to my concerns and requests. When the kids left Tobin they were happy, speak very well and felt a part of the Tobin community. The teachers are caring and considerate. Their stats don't tell the whole story because many of the kids that go to Tobin have challenges that the Tobin must accommodate; lowering the scores, I'm sure.

Last modified John M. Tobin Montessori School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.