No rating

Applewild School

Private | PK-8 | 236 students

Applewild addresses each aspect of what is important in a child's education.

Living in Fitchburg

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted May 23, 2014

Applewild has been an excellent choice for all of my children. It put them well ahead of their peers and prepared them well for the rigors of private secondary prep school education. They all began in 5th grade and were instantly welcomed into the community by the children and faculty. I am grateful for the superior education.

Posted May 15, 2014

Enrolling our son at Applewild School is the best decision we could have made for his education. He thrives in a nurturing environment of mutually respectful "citizen students" who are eager to learn, while being guided, challenged and encouraged by talented and knowledgeable teachers who are eager to teach.

Posted May 8, 2014

My three children attended Applewild from grades 1-8 and received an excellent education that served as the foundation for secondary school and college. Applewild offers a nurturing and challenging academic program, with enrichment activities such as sports, choral and instrumental music, studio art, shop and drama built into the schedule. In this way, every student has many chances to explore a broad range of activities at the school. The community is warm and supportive and encourages kids to take on challenges with confidence. The school emphasizes a sense of partnership with families. As important as the emphasis on academics and the arts is the school's emphasis on cultivating character and good citizenship. These values are reinforced on a daily basis and echo our expectations as parents. We truly felt a bond with the teachers and other families at Applewild - the sense of community is very strong.

Posted April 25, 2014

My two children attended Applewild and the well rounded social and academic program has served them well as a foundation for the rest of thier educational process. I feel that the investment in thier education at Applewild was well worth it and the are much farther ahead of thier peers because of the time spent at Applewild.

Posted April 20, 2014

My daughter attended Applewild from kindergarten through eighth grade, and my son from kindergarten till the present, 7th grade. We have been exceedingly pleased with the personal, academic and artistic growth of our kids during their time at Applewild. The culture at Applewild is conducive to learning. Applewild creates an incredible environment of respect, both between the students and teachers and between one student and another. Myself daughter was accepted to all private secondary schools to which she applied, including Cushing, Bancroft, and Worcester Academy, as well as several others. Students that might not be the best fit for Applewild include students who are all about highest caliber of athletics, or students who enjoy a large environment.

Posted October 22, 2013

Our son is in his second year at Applewild; we could not be happier. AT AW he has an enthusiasm for learning. The teachers take time to understand his needs, strengths and weaknesses. As someone who has studied child development, I find it important for children to be challenged and have exposure at a young age. The music, art and foreign language (starting in K) departments are impressive. Music, PE, French and Science are offered multiple times over the week (grade 1). I most enjoy the importance of character building at the school and focus on kids being kids. My son as a kindergartner made friends throughout the school. He has been taught to be caring and compassionate in his community. Unlike his friends at other schools, he comes home eager to share and build upon his learning. AW is the best investment we have made for our child. Our family makes ends meet while affording his education with the help of financial aid, which we are so grateful for. With regard to some parent comments below who have been dissatisfied with the school, I agree AW is not for everyone. Then again I've never experienced a one size fits all school that is able to satisfy everyone and their parent.

Posted August 8, 2013

Applewild School Years ago when my children were very small, I met the head of an independent school in Weston MA. After working on a project with this head of school, I listened to his words about the formative years of children. He said their learning style will be formed in the early years as well as their, attitudes and characters. That is when you want to invest in your child's education. That is when we made the decision to visit Applewild. I had three children go through Applewild, and as they now are entering college and high schools, I am extremely glad we made the decision to send them to Applewild. The sense of community (every teacher knows your child) is very apparent. The also learn respect for their peers, adults and environment. In this day and age as we see our children grow, that is one core value that was instilled early at Applewild.

Posted August 6, 2013

Applewild School gave my two children a very strong foundation through the school years up through ninth grade. They were challenged and stretched and in the best possible ways. They always knew that the adults at the school cared about them and wanted them to succeed and were there to help them up if they slipped. Respect for themselves, for the people around them, and for our environment were key elements in the way Applewild communicated with students and adults. My children worked hard at Applewild and were recognized for the unique people they are and for their skills and talents. They learned to advocate for themselves, to seek teachers' help and advice, and to persevere through challenges. Both of them graduated from ninth grade and went on to top tier secondary schools. I am proud to say they have advanced degrees and are happy and successful. They give credit in part to Applewild for teaching them how to learn and to work for the joy of it. They actually have thanked us, their parents, for the sacrifices we made to send them to this special school! I very much appreciate the gifts of that Applewild education and community for my children and our family.

Posted June 28, 2013

Applewild developed the foundation that my personal and professional ethics are based upon today. Having spent eleven years at the school, starting in pre-primary, I had the privilege of experiencing the unmatched, sincere dedication of the outstanding faculty and staff. It is this high level of commitment to a quality education that makes Applewild a unique experience unmatched by any other institutions in this category. I look forward to the day that I can proudly send my child to Applewild to recieve that same level of commitment to development.

Posted June 28, 2013

I spent eleven years at Applewild and developed friendships that continue to thrive thorugh my adult years. I was challenged academically and prepared for the rigors of high school, college and beyond!

Posted June 28, 2013

Applewild School made an enormous impression on my life. My parents made the decision to enroll me when a Public School education was not working for my learning habits. When I entered the 4th Grade, I was sure that I was never going to be able to learn anything and therefore never be able to participate like the other kids did. The shame of that was building my character and shaping me as a human. Applewild turned all that around for me with a collaborative approach - through the respectful helping hand, classroom teaching, arts/drama/music, sports fields and supportive kinship. All while slowly and steadily pushing me to new heights, quietly and effectively championing me along. The school helped make me the confident assured person that I am. Without the turnaround at that point in my life, I m really not sure where I would be today. I hold deep gratitude for the collective community of Applewild School and am fully aware that the time there influenced my life in such a positive way.

Posted June 28, 2013

Great school and amazing teachers. As a student, I made the best friends there and we are still best of friends today... Over 20 years later.

Posted June 21, 2013

Hands down, Applewild was the best school I ever attended. It is an independent school with high academic standards, great teaching, and an ever present insistence on adhering to community values. I was more than prepared for my secondary school experience and, best of all, my closest friends to this day are the same ones I met in Mrs. Tower's 3rd grade classroom. Quite simply, the school had a profound impact on my life.

Posted October 29, 2011

My child loves this school and looks forward to each and every day there. His enthusiasm for learning is accepted and he is joined by many children with the same positive attitude toward school. He is in the upper school and finds his classes interesting and the teachers supportive. The school strives to help children to be thoughtful, kind and caring. We could not be happier with the choice to send our child here.

Posted August 17, 2011

I loved Applewild so much! I graduated from there this spring as part of the first graduating eighth grade class. Although they did have to cut the ninth grade program, the school is still amazing. The grades have about 30-35 students, so its really easy to find great, lasting friends! The upper school has advising groups, where you meet with a teacher and about eight other kids to check in on any problems. he teachers are so kind and caring! My brother was deployed in Afgahnistan and every single day a teacher would check in with me in a really quiet way. They didn't make a big deal out of it, which was reeally nice. Classes were small and challenging but the teachers were more than willing to help. The sports were great for a non-athletic kid like me--there was a very friendly atmosphere around the sports where everyone wanted to help everyone else. If you are looking at this school, apply!!!! Even if it is out of your price range, the administration worked with my family to find a way to make it happen! It was a wonderful opportunity that every chind should get to experience!!!!!!!!!!

Posted April 1, 2011

I love Applewild. I am currently in 9th grade at Applewild. The academics, arts, and athletics are great. The teachers are very helping. They are always there for you, whether you need help on academic topics or just when you need someone to cheer you up and to talk to. The students at Applewild are also very kind. They are there to make you happy, to make you laugh and smile, and to just be there for you. I love Applewild and will always remember the memories that were created there!

Posted September 9, 2010

What's happened to this school? It went from a thriving community of gifted students to a school that is limping along, not growing but shrinking, consolidating classes and laying off teachers. If you look at the previous reviews, they are all dated in the same few days in February - looks like Applewild wasn't getting in their re-enrollment contracts and put a push to get reviews on the web - we know they didn't get our three kids back!

Posted July 5, 2010

I graduated Applewild as a Ninth Grader a few years ago and I truley miss the school. I miss the sense of family the most. Your teachers and friends at Applewild were like your second family and you always felt safe at school. I've had some of the best times of my life at Applewild and will always remeber everythign i learned there. I loves hangign out with 5th and 6th graders and not being judged, but also being welcomed by older kids. I always looked up to the ninth graders, and then i became one myself. They really are the leaders of the school and role models for everyone. Applewild is one of my favorite places and i miss it everyday.

Posted May 25, 2010

Very strong academic program with very skilled and supportive teaching staff. Administration and allied personnel are similarly dedicated. The music and arts programs are particularly strong. Our kids are very well served there. I find very little to fault them on and I'm a pretty grumpy sort of parent.

Posted February 26, 2010

My son loves Applewild School. He really enjoys the arts, music, drama and shop. He is learning at one grade level above right now. He could not be happier!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • State and Regional History Day (2014)
  • Math Awards (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Arts (all)
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Outdoor / Farm-based

• Science
  • Service learning
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Math club
  • S'More Math

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Independent Secondary School