No rating

Keystone Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 113 students

We are best known for experienced teachers.

Living in North Chelmsford

Situated in a rural neighborhood. The median home value is $214,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted September 17, 2014

This is our 4th year at Keystone, my daughter stared children s house when she was 3 and is in the elementary program now. My son (2.10 yrs), also started this year with Mrs McMahon. She seems to have a natural gift at teaching and connecting with the kids. She is and very organized and understand each kid's capabilities and woks with them towards their overall development. She is one of the main reason why we decided to enroll our son. Their Elementary Curriculum is very dynamic and has the best teachers for the program. My daughter looks forward to go to school every day. She surprises me all the time with the wealth of knowledge she is brings home every day. It s amazing how Kathryn make complicated topics, fun/easy to learn and understand. It is a warm, peaceful place with a wonderful staff that not only facilitates academic growth, but also teach them to be a respectful and responsible global citizens.

Posted June 12, 2014

My kid went to the k program. They promised a lot when I joined my kid and was hoping that there would be an upward learning curve. I was very disappointed at the end of the year. This is a very expensive school. I just hope they would teach something for the money they charge. She was pretty decent at math, reading etc due to our personal effort. But there was not much learning at school. The teachers are good but the academic nurturing was not as much as I had been promised. They would send me stuff where I could see some scribbling of my kid in couple of papers and that is supposed to be the whole week work. They said materials will be circulated to keep kids challenged but as far as I saw there was little circulation of class materials. We get report/class newsletters every few months where it says what your kid has been doing in math, reading, science etc but when we spoke to couple of kids in the class, asking them about stuff they learnt in class, they had no clue of what we are saying. They also charge extra for any visitors, field trips etc after charging so much. Overall not very happy with the school.

Posted May 28, 2014

My son goes to Children's House(3 to 6 year olds). We started with daycare and moved our son to Keystone. Here your child comes first. The founder is busy introducing new programs every year & teachers designing challenging work(small tasks for kids to do) keeping developmental goals in mind. Classrooms are filled with work where child has the freedom to choose what she/he likes. Once they master a work, they move on to the next one & so on. Sounds easy but making our 3 year old to stay calm and focus was a daunting task for us. I have found teachers to be patient and skilled to navigate our child. Our son is very active and he enjoys doing something while not napping. His classroom is filled with variety of work and books & this helps him. Weather permitting, everyday kids have outdoor playtime. Our son makes continent maps in his art/craft session, draws objects, goes to field trips to explore nature, etc. The quality of tools, material & guest lecturers exposed to kids is carefully selected by the founder. Our son has made his way to read phonics book as he still continues to decode new words. He can add/subtract single digit numbers. The credit goes to his teacher & school.

Posted April 27, 2014

Keystone is a truly unique school. What sets it apart is its Dynamite Elementary curriculum, devoted teachers and faculty members, parent education support, and its leadership. The Head of School is passionate about not only educating children, but parents as well. It is a warm, peaceful place that not only facilitates academic growth, but more importantly has helped my children become respectful, responsible, and empathetic young citizens. I am extremely proud that my children are receiving an education that is so much better than regular conventional schools. If you want your child to be an independent, problem-solver, critical thinker, then you need to discover Montessori, and more importantly discover Keystone. It has transformed our way of life & our view of our own children as these young, incredibly intelligent human beings who are capable of so much if given the proper support and means. Thank you Keystone for educating our children, who are educating us! This world would be a better place if there were more schools like this!

Posted April 25, 2014

My son goes to their children's house (3-6 year old) program and we really love this school. -Teachers are great and very organized. They understand each kid's capabilities and completely focus on their development. My son is a great reader and tries to write short stories. He is good at science, math etc and these days he can't stop talking about solar system. He totally loves his school. -Other staff are very friendly and attend any requests immediately -They offer health and wellness program which includes skiing, swimming, yoga, tennis etc for kindergartners and elementary kids. My son enjoys learning all these activities with his friends. We have been with this school for two years and so far didn't find any issues. We decided to continue him in their elementary program as it has great reviews

Posted April 24, 2014

This is a great school. My son used to go to a local daycare before. Even after 8 months, he was still reluctant to go (like, he would cry at drop off). One of the reason was that the daycare had too many teachers coming and leaving on weekly bases (Heavy turnover is something very common in daycares, I'm told). It was difficult for my son to get familiar with them. However, at KMS, one full year has gone by and we haven't seen any teacher changes. And, they still greet you with same smile and enthusiasm that they had the first time we met them. My son really looks forward to go to the school every morning and this is really a huge plus.

Posted April 24, 2014

Wow! I cannot say enough about what this school has done for both my children. The entire school community has given my children the gift of knowledge and life skills. Our two children have learned to be compassionate human beings who love to learn for its own sake. This is a school that cares about the growth and development of each individual child, and focuses on maximizing his or her strengths while addressing challenges cheerfully and productively. I have seen teachers at all levels go the extra mile time and again to make sure my child was held to high standards with care and kindness. Go and look at Keystone if you are interested in an affordable private school that is about quality education and diversity. We've been thrilled with the school. -- The Liles Family

Posted April 24, 2014

The 1st yr was a big bump where my daughter wasn't able to focus She struggled with transitioning and learning classroom rules. I felt so discouraged. But the teachers made all the difference. They were so open to hearing my thoughts and learning about my child through my eyes. We came up with a game plan on how to support her. One of which to get a one on one teacher to help her. By the end of the school year, there was a big improvement. She was happier and felt more connected with her classroom. I really appreciate the quick response that I get from the teachers especially through email. With an understanding that the parents know their children best, they really listen and really respect the parents' thinking. I love that they take the info I provide and try to understand it to make future plans for my child's learning. Summary 1) Children and their thinking are respected (it shows) 2) Teachers and staff are very responsive. They come up with a game plan to make sure your child reaches a goal. 3) They involve parents 4) Kindness throughout the school (between teachers and children, and children and children) 5) Montessori methods 6) My child loves her teachers!!

Posted April 23, 2014

Outstanding teachers, nurturing learning environment and caring staff are the hallmarks of Keystone Montessori school. Our 4-yr daughter thrives at the school, she can already write and is learning to read at rate that is astounding to us. There was a huge difference in her interest, focus and perfrmance once we moved her to Keystone. The emphasis the school places on mathematics and science skills are really great. I feel fortunate and confident that my daughter is getting an outstanding early education and head-start in academic learnign. I would recommend any parent wanting their child to learn in an nurturing environment that places an emphasis on independence, freedom within limits, and respect for their child s natural psychological, physical, and social development to give Keystone a try, as it's one of, if not the best Montessori school in the greater-Boston area.

Posted April 23, 2014

This school is amazing. The elementary staff are wonderful. You will want to come and observe this school. Our child is in her 7th year at Keystone and is in the elementary program. The difference is in the learning methods and style. Subject matter is applied to whole systems and projects. The curriculum is creative, challenging and goes way beyond what is offered in public schools in terms of depth and scope of experience and knowledge: This year they started an engineering curriculum that caught the eye of the Museum of Science in Boston. They were so impressed that they sent out staff to film the project and include it in their education curriculum. In the spring the elementary students attend Natures Classroom in Groton, MA for one week of outdoor discovery and science from geology and hydrology to fresh water ecosystems. Fifth and sixth graders are doing pre- algebra and algebra. Tennis, skiing and swimming lessons are part of the curriculum. As a result my daughter loves to learn, is confident, and excelling in math, English, science, geography,and writing. What more could you ask for?

Posted April 17, 2014

I have been a staff member here for 10 years so I feel as though I know Keystone inside and out! This is an amazing place for teachers, children and parents! I have worked in other Montessori Schools prior to Keystone and none of them can hold a candle to this school. Our founder and Head has 40 years of experience with children and was motivated by her own experience at other area schools to create a school that fosters a learning environment for all. She lives and breathes the Montessori philosophy and inspires everyone who meets her. That is why no one ever looks for another job and there are never job openings here! In the last 3 years the school moved into a new, architecturally designed and "green built" school. Our space is beautiful and generous. A big change has been the elementary program which now goes through grade 6. This program has new to the school staff who really are very highly trained and dedicated. They have introduced all sorts of new ideas such as environmental engineering and using class meetings to solve problems. all the kids here graduate as respectful, independent and confident learners.KMS is always growing and improving things for the better, love it!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 25, 2014

After looking around at other local day care centers and comparing prices, programs and teacher quality, I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant to spend the extra money on 'Preschool'. After all, 3 year old just like to color, right? Wrong. I took a leap of faith and enrolled my daughter enrolled at Keystone. For 2 years now she has been in the Children's House full day program, and despite not really understanding how the full breadth of the Montessori philosophy at the time of enrollment, we couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. She has shown me that 3 and 4 year olds are so much more capable then we give them credit for. She was thrust into an environment that focused on problem solving skills and innovative thinking. Her outstanding teachers place emphasis on the importance of grace and courtesy, something I feel is grossly lacking in this day in age, and certainly not emphasized in 'traditional' environments. And at the end of the day, she loves to learn and she loves to go to school. She is successful. She is independent. She knows what a quatrefoil is! She is showing me that every cent I pay for tuition is actually, priceless.

Posted February 3, 2014

My son has been going here since he was 3 years old and we absolutely love this school. The teacher treat the children with respect. They teach them and discipline them in a loving and peaceful way. My child is flourishing here and is doing great academically and socially. The Montessori way really works. the best thing is in this school kids are not burdened with too much information. Lesson are given to them in small groups or individually. They learn at their own pace which is usually faster that the pace of traditional schools for most kids. At the same time kids are not bored. I love this school...

Posted January 23, 2014

My family has been with Keystone for years at is point. Both of my children spent their preK and kindergarten years there, and when first grade rolled around, we enrolled our oldest in public school, and he was miserable. So much homework, so much busy work, and too much being shunted from one place to another, with the school pressuring us to get an IEP so they could out additional aides in his classroom for him and the other children with similar difficulty staying focused on the worksheets. Then, though, the IEP was rejected, and the school psychiatrist told us our best bet was to supplement with after school and summer programs for gifted children. Frustrated with the idea of the school day being, essentially, wasted time, we enrolled at Keystone for his second grade year and it has been like night and day. That's not to say that he didn't have trouble focusing at Keystone, he did, but his teachers worked around it and with us and he was definitely interested in the work and came home excited and happy at the end of each day. The elementary program is amazing and we have continued to send him there. It is worth every penny.

Posted August 6, 2013

The Keystone Montessori School has by far been the best school our family has experienced. Our 2 children joined the school last year and started in the Children's House full day program where they had a fantastic year of learning and personal growth. This was our first Montessori experience and we are so happy we made this choice. Our eldest child experienced the richness of the Kindergarten curriculum, which offers additional learning modules and activities, and both children have flourished there. The quality of teachers is outstanding (compared to 3 other learning/preschool centers we have attended over the years) - they are dedicated, knowledgeable and show through their actions how genuinely they care about your children's learning experience and development. I can't say enough about the dedication and enthusiasm of the Director - she has created a high quality school and a wonderful community around it. We are all looking forward to returning for another year in September when our eldest child will enter the Elementary program and the youngest returns to the Children's House. I thoroughly recommend this school.

Posted June 17, 2013

This school does a poor job of supporting children with two families. I have shared custody, decision making and a parenting schedule and despite my attempts at having equal involvement with this school, they did not send me copies of reports, bulletins or school projects. I sent numbers emails and visited the school to keep involved but they are not equipped and show little interest in facilitating equal involvement between both parents. In the end, this only hurts the child.

Posted June 6, 2013

While the preschool program is fine and the teachers at this level are generally good, the elementary program was a huge disappointment. We have since talked to other parents who had similar negative experiences with children in the elementary program -- they're not hard to find, ask around. If your child is gifted, or has a bright and curious mind, think hard about spending your money here. We switched to another school because it was clear our child wasn't being challenged at Keystone -- too much "touchy-feely" programming at the expense of academics, a reluctance to tailor learning strategies, and quick to point fingers at anyone but themselves. Once we switched schools, we saw a huge spike in our child's academic performance and enthusiasm because s/he was finally being stimulated, even though the workload was heavier and more intense. S/he loves school now! Had we known Keystone couldn't hold a candle academically with this new school, we would have been out of there sooner. Let our loss be your gain. Another tip--ask for a school calendar and compare it to a public school's calendar. The days off are excessive! Bottom line--preschool: good. Elementary program: thumbs down.

Posted May 20, 2013

My 3 yo is currently enjoying her first year at Keystone Montessori and I cannot say enough good things about the experience. The teachers are all very invested and engaged in their work - the children really respond to their enthusiasm. The school provides a large variety of experiences for the children - academic, cultural, social, physical - it is very well rounded. My daughter gets such loving attention from everyone at school - it really has become her "second" family. The teachers and staff patiently and kindly guided my daughter through the trials of potty training and tantrums as well as through the joys of her first written word and her first songs. In addition to a warm and welcoming environment, Keystone is also providing a first class Montessori education to my daughter. She learned so much exploring the "works" - she now brings the intense concentration that she's applied to her school activities to her explorations at home. It's such a joy seeing her apply the "one-until-your're-done" and "everything has it's place" rules to her home environment. We definitely plan to have her continue her elementary education here.

Posted October 8, 2011

We feel at home at Keystone. From the time we attended the open house to present, we knew we were in the right place for our son. He is in Pre-K and we feel so good every time we drop him off. The school moved across the street to their new and improved location. Their playground is now very close and all of the classrooms and offices are on the same first level. I appreciate the security implemented in the school and the level of cleanliness exceeds my expectations. The administration makes themselves easily accessible to discuss anything and ask questions about anything. Everyone is friendly, informative and organized. We are about three towns away from the school and the drive is worth it for us. I could not have asked for a better first school experience for us as parents and for our son. We appreciate the thoughtful and kind teachers, the professional and friendly administration and the welcoming, warm and safe environment provided for the children who attend. Thank you for your hard work, dedication and passion that is consistent, reliable and a breath of fresh air to any parent wishing the best for their child.

Posted June 14, 2011

I am a current parent and my experience at the school has been mixed. While most of the teachers are fairly good I wish the administration was more open - to ideas, suggestions - just listening! I also take umbrage at the school's snow day policy. The school will follow public schools as far as closings but will not offer make up days/dates! It is very frustrating considering the steep tuition I pay!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 29% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Korean
Spanish
Tamil, Telagu, Hindi
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Korean
  • Tamil, Telagu, Hindi

Health & athletics

• Dance teacher(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Cary Williams
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS
  • NAEYC
  • Other Montessori

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Transportation options
  • Art room
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Dance
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units