No rating

Austin Preparatory School

Private | 6-12

Living in Reading

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $380,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted August 23, 2014

This school is terrible!!! The expectations are so low and teachers allow students to cheat on tests and homework. I was extremely bored in ALL classes! Students are pompous and entitled. Save your money!

Posted July 25, 2014

Teachers/academics are excellent. Very smart students, lots of homework, tests and quizzes. Probably would not be a good fit for struggling students. Extracurricular activities are good, seem to have more emphasis on sports than arts. New headmaster's focus is questionable. Very focused on trendy items implementing iPads (which only some of the courseware is available on, and came with a $1000 tuition hike), new name brand uniforms including shoes and sneakers that will easily run $140 just for those items. Aiming for dress shirts, ties, $155 blazers as part of mandatory uniform. Not a lot of opportunity for parents to meet, volunteer, become involved.

Posted February 6, 2014

I have really enjoyed my time here so far, everyone here wants to be here and the teachers are always ready to help. People complain there are no clubs but I have clubs 5 days of our six day block schedule. The sports teams have been a great experience.

Posted December 23, 2013

my daughter has been attending this school since middle school and is a senior now. Her experience at Austin has been very disappointing. She has gotten good grades, and gotten into very good colleges; but that is because of what she has done for herself. The school has not prepared her for college at all. The faculty and administration abuse their power over the students, and hold too much power over the way that the school is run. When my daughter had her friends over, they talked about how they missed the old headmaster because the nee headmaster likes to "hear himself talk". He just makes new rules because he can, and does not take the students opinions into consideration at all. Not to mention he treats 18 year olds like they are 5.

Posted November 9, 2013

Good school but most people in my opinion "abuse" their power over the children I also think the prices are awful and there isn't good quality food

Posted September 18, 2013

Austin Prep is has been a wonderful experience for my children, the new principal seems wonderful and is taking this school to an even higher level. Any student will get back what is put into any school or program, but at Austin all the kids are on the same page.. wanting to succeed ! A very good atmosphere and motivational factor.

Posted February 8, 2013

No school is going to be perfect, so please don't be naive in thinking your tuition is going to make your childs educational experience perfect. Like anywhere, what you put in is what you get out. Austin has everything available to you if you take advantage of it. There are great teachers who recognize kids wanting to learn and do better. There are sports teams, theatre and arts. My children have been there since middle school, it has been a great experience for both children. Involved and invested parents make a difference in the experience. I like that the school maintains the rules and enforces them. Some people think its over the top, but I believe it helps teach kids; in life you need to follow the rules or there are consequences (REAL LIFE). Over all, our experience has been positive and I reccomend Austin Prep.

Posted December 27, 2012

My child went here and really disliked the school. The courses were mediocre . You would think the faculty would be more engaging and creative considering the amount of tuition the parents pay. When you and your child interviews with the school come prepared with many questions about the curriculum and character of the teachers . I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 11, 2012

Our daughter attended Austin for her seventh grade year. She did very well at Austin, earning straight As. She had excellent teachers and loved going there. The academics were top notch though she reported many cases of students misbehaving with no evidence of punishment. What concerned us was the lack of after school activities, the fact there is no orchestra, and a very limited theater program. When we picked her up from school, there would be 10-25 kids just hanging around the front of the school well after the final bell. There seemed to be no clubs or programs or any effort to keep the kids engaged between 2:30-5 PM. Our daughter is not interested in sports so she had no real choices after school. Also, we were told 1/3 of the children attending were not Catholic so religion was not going to be intrusive in their experience. Yet our daughter was told to pray before every class. As it turned out, she did not need this outside help to succeed. Overall, a good experience for her, just not as comprehensive as we had hoped for in a private school. We would consider sending her back for high school but we will have to supplement her music and theater interests elsewhere.

Posted April 5, 2012

Both of my children have graduated from Austin Prep. It is the best investment that I could have made. My children were challenged both in academics and athletics. They are currently attending great colleges and were so prepared and ready for college life. I cannot thank the faculty and headmaster for all they have done to help in the guidance not only to prepare them for college but to help make them wonderful young adults that I am very proud of.

Posted May 11, 2010

My daughter is graduating this year from Austin, She has been there since freshman yr. We are very satisfied with the education she received. It has been academically challanging and her friends who have already graduated tell the teachers did a good job preparing them for college. It has been worth the tuition - good teachers, challanging curriculum, good learning environment. The school does have rules concerning dress, and acceptable and good moral behavior which are held to and this means that the students are able to focus on their education and a great high school experience.

Posted March 4, 2010

Our daughter currently attends Austin Prep and is loving it! Coming from a public middle school, we weren't sure how she would do, but let me assure you, it was the best decision we could have made. All of the teachers are wonderful and the kids that go there are all such great kids. My daughter no longer has to sit next to a juvenile delinquent because all of the kids at Austin are there for a reason, to succeed!!

Posted February 2, 2010

I just recently graduated Austin, and was there from 6-12th grade. School is stressful, and i found that there was never a teacher who wasn't willing to talk to you. They would and will do anything to you. The school is a tight-knit community, which is great because you are known as someone, not just a number like at a public school. Classes range from 4 levels -college prep to Advanced Placement. I am not a nursing student and I am glad that I went to Austin. I believe that it was the best decision of my life.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 23, 2009

It is a fabulous school, and for the tuition cost, one of the very best in the region, about 4K higher than the other Catholic school, and about half the cost of some of the regions prep-private schools, Austin offers the same rigorous academic program found in many of the regions elits schools. take a look at this school if you are seeking a college preparatory experience for your son or daughter, but are not looking to pay 20 to 30 thousand dollars for this! Sincerely, Austin has everything any of these other schools have - the exception being a pristine campus with ivy covered buildings - but is that really important? Academics, Arts, Athletics - it's a great place. I read through all of the reviews - the ones at the end are clearly from disgruntled students and parents - the school works hard to cooperate with parents!

Posted April 3, 2009

My daughter has been attending Austin since 7th grade and is graduating this year. She tells us often that it was the best decision we made for her. She was very reluctant but is now very grateful for the opportunity. Austin has provided her with an outstanding education. She has many choices of colleges. I think the tolerance level for misbehavior is a key. Overall we are very happy and will miss the Austin Community.

Posted January 2, 2009

Our daugheter currently attends Austin Prep, and we are very pleased with the quality education she is receiving. The workload is challenging, and she is doing college level work in several of her classes. Also she has made excellent friends from around the surrounding towns, and they're all good kids as well. Overall, a great school, and they have prepared her well to be successful at the next level.

Posted November 22, 2008

With the addition of new Laboratories, a beautiful high-tech secured Lobby, brand-new Field & Track, Water Well installed for our Football Field; and, a complete renovation of the 'old monastery' furnished with a brand new Library, Reference Center, Computer Lab, and all the Arts & Crafts one could possibly imagine, Austin is taking its commitment to fulfilling the needs of teachers and students very seriously. Alumni, parents, and the Austin Community take great pride in maintaining its status as one of the best places for a private, Catholic school education. With five years behind us, and two more ahead of us, we are pleased and proud to belong to the Austin family. We will continue to do whatever it takes to secure a safe and successful environment for all who work and attend at Austin!

Posted June 28, 2008

Private was the best thing we did for our daughter. Teachers knew her & worked on her strengths or challenges. The extra attention got her into a great college and prepared her well.

Posted June 5, 2008

After our daughter's first year at Austin we have nothing but praise for this school. She has met wonderful kids, been placed in challenging classes and had an overall great experience. While I do think that there are some administrators that take the rules to an extreme level, I do not think this takes away from the experience. I encourage you to take a look at Austin.

Posted November 12, 2007

I am a current student at Austin Prep, and I am eagerly awaiting my graduation. The teachers are fantastic for the most part, In my four years here, I have had some really amazing teachers who have truly enriched my learning experience. Unfortunately, the clubs are lackluster if they are anything at all, no organization or effort is put into these extracurricular. With the addition of the new athletic director, the sports teams are once again looking strong with new coaches and new equipment that wasn't there before. The administration is making rules, such as 'no hugging' and 'no colored socks,' stamping out any potential for creativity and individuality for the students. There is a lack of respect for students by the administration.
—Submitted by a student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NAIS
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious