PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I really can not imagine why anyone who had or has the privilege of being associated with this school could give it a rating other than a 5. I live in Florida and have a 5 year old son and when looking for schools to send him to, I can't help but continuously be disappointed that because of geography, NDA will never be an option for him. I attended NDA from 1st - 8th grade and I am so grateful. Keep in mind, this was 1979- 1986. They didn't offer pre I, k1 or k2 back then, nor did they offer the foreign language at the elementary level, STEM or any of the other wonderful academic bonuses. In my day, computers were the new thing and no one had them in their homes yet, nevermind at school, but NDA did. In 8th grade, we actually had a computer class and we sat at the brand new Apple machines with a grey screen and green block numbers.....yes, numbers....we were learning basic binary code. My teachers then consisted primarily of nuns, with the exception of a few lay teachers and they were all amazing. My 151st grade teacher, Sr. Mary Alyce G. Taught me how to read and write, but more importantly, I learned of Gods grace. I learned manners, patience, humility, forgiveness, kindness and love. And that was just by the end of 1st grade. Lol. From there, I learned a passion for learning and developed a positive self image and self esteem. I learned about discipline and being responsible for my choices and the outcome of those choices....good or bad. I could go on and on and from what I'm reading, This school has only improved....If you live close enough to NDA and value your children's education....academically, socially, morally and spiritually, then I believe there isn't a better option than the Academy of Notre Dame in Tyngsbourgh, Ma...

My daughter has just finished her first year at NDA and we could not be happier. We were nervous about the transition but my daughter is thriving. The teachers and administration are compassionate and caring and always willing to help. The teachers communicate effectively to the parents on a daily basis. The curriculum is challenging and has definitely exceeded our expectations. I cannot say enough good things about this school and it's leadership and I would recommend it to anyone.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are fantastic! They go above and beyond to help their students. They are fair and are willing to discuss how they grade with students if asked. They expect a lot from their students, but they also give a lot.

In the autumn our children transferred to the Academy of Notre Dame Elementary School. We were a little apprehensive about the change since they had been at a different school since preschool and they were leaving behind their social network. From the minute they shadowed last spring until the completion of school just yesterday this decision was the best one we have made to date in regards to their education. In fact, one of my children said to me, “I was new this year. One reason I like NDA so much is because everyone is so welcoming.” We changed schools because of curriculum changes that we did not support. Our children’s education is our priority and we searched for a school with a strong curriculum, a nice community, and a place for them to be flexed. NDA met our expectations and exceeded them. The teachers are so nice and go above and beyond on a daily basis. When our children were struggling, the guidance department stepped right in and created a plan to help get them on track. Not only did they create the plan, they executed it, and they checked in regularly with us to assess progress. We have another child in an independent private school elsewhere and the education at NDA is just as robust as the other school. The children love the subjects and have enjoyed their classes in STEM, computer, foreign language, art, music, and gym, as much as the core subjects. The teachers expect the children to really study, to really learn, and to be responsible for their work. Slacking off is not tolerated. That said, they make the learning fun too. The children really have a wonderful education at the Academy of Notre Dame. They go deep into subjects and the students are provided with a rigorous curriculum. For instance, the fifth graders write a five page research paper with proper citations and then present the research in front of their peers and administration. One thing that we are really impressed about is the dedication of the administration to the school and to the standards of its education. The administration stands behind their staff and are really invested in making the Academy of Notre Dame the best school possible both as the student’s educational home and as an institution of learning. We are so delighted we made this change and really can’t say enough good things about it.

This review refers to K-8 not the high school. I don't have much personal experience with the high school. Almost any public school would be better than this school. There are no standards, some subjects have curriculums and others have absolutely no formal curriculums. There is a lot more stressed placed on "tradition" than on education (That's why 8th grade graduation takes 3 full days of rehearsing). The school accepts students with special needs even though it doesn't offer any special ed support because it is desperate for money. Many of the individual teachers there are awesome but they get very little support from administration, The younger teachers don't stick around because as soon as they have a year or two of experience they get hired by a public school because NDA pays them about $20,000 a month less than they would be making in public, offers mediocre benefits and no pension. The older teachers are stuck there because a public school is unlikely to hire a teacher with that many years of experience because their union determined salary would be so expensive. Many of those older teachers would leave if they could. If you want to buy your student a diploma even if they fail every course this school will let you do it.

Just learned of this site and wanted to take a moment to share my positive experiences from the first months of the current school year. Our children have had their easiest adjustment to the start of school ever and we are crediting this to the changes made by the new leadership team. We are particularly pleased that foreign language has been added to the younger school grades and that our children have the opportunity to take part in STEM classes in addition to their traditional science classes. I have recommended the school to many.

There are a lot of positive changes with the 'new' leadership in the school. They are working hard to become a Blue Ribbon school, which means that the curriculum is becoming more advanced. The enrichment and after school programs are really good now (non-existent before), as well as the new summer camp offerings in 2014. My child has been in the school for four years and we're happy - its not perfect, as the pressure to be a Blue Ribbon school is high, but its a much better offering than the public schools. I've only seen people leave the school in the early grades due to the cost.

The 'new' leadership at the elementary school is detrimental to the school community and is driving families and staff away. There are many other schools in the area that should be considered before NDA Tyngsboro.

My son went to NDA for grades K-8. He had a great experience, and the curriculum and teachers particularly at the Middle School level were exceptional. He was very well prepared to go onto a private Catholic High School.

This is great if you are a white female but if you are a colored male or just a male in general the Nuns will shun you. I speak from expierence of going here from K-8 and This school does not accept males into its high school program so why toture your male kid through 8 years just so he can go to a different highschool to adjust and make new friends. Not to mention this school is overpriced.

Last modified Academy Of Notre Dame (Lower School) is a Private school that serves grades PK-8