Wakefield, MA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 14, 2014
My son loves going to Odyssey Day School. He is free to be himself because his individuality and uniqueness is respected at this school.

Posted September 09, 2014
This school saved my children. Public school was crushing their spirit and Odyssey gave them a new enthusiasm for life and education. The teachers are caring, dedicated and go way beyond what is required. The opportunity for intellectual exploration and launching each child as far as their talent can guide them is extraordinary. If you want a sweet, kind, ethical and wholesome environment for your kids, I can't recommend it enough. The other parents are are invested in the school and are a pleasure to interact with - highly energetic and fascinating people who all have a common goal - the raising of smart, motivated, responsible and principled children.

Odyssey Day School 1

Posted September 07, 2014
Some adjectives: Terrible, Awful, Disappointing, unhelpful, miserable. My child attended the school in the 2013-2014 school year and it was a terrible experience my child is still mentally recovering from as a person and a student. We didn't get at all what we were promised as parents, and or child didn't get what we were promised as a student. They played bait and switch with the teaching situation. When we visited there was a single first and second grade teacher, when school started instead it was a class room with 1,2,3 grade and two teachers. By October the 1st grade teacher who we had loved as gone, and our child was left with a terrible teacher. This change of situation was never discussed with us as parents and we just had to accept it. My child and this replacement didn't mesh at all, and we have slowly found out this teacher was mentally abusive to our child. The school never got a handle on this class room. In February they decided to split the classroom in two. This broke our child and their best friend and only motivating reason to even go to school apart. The teachers and administration wouldn't even discuss this situation with us. STAY WAY-UNTRUSTWORTHY

Posted August 14, 2014
Wa are very happy with Odyssey Day School! My son is in his 3rd year and is growing into a respectful, intelligent, confident, empathetic, and friendly person. Certainly, much of that is due to the caring learning environment he is in at Odyssey. His teachers respect his opinions, they listen to him. They help to design the curriculum around what the children are interested in and want to learn about. They make learning fun! We are so happy here.

Posted August 06, 2014
My oldest is about to finish up at Odyssey after a great experience. He came from public where the focus on rote practice and memorization had him bored to tears and fidgety. Odyssey presented him with a challenging, meaningful curriculum. He had the opportunity to enter poetry contests and the American Math Challenge. The nurturing environment led to the formation of many good friendships. He will miss ODS when he is gone!

Odyssey Day School 2

Posted April 17, 2014
We signed up for a grade 1-2 classroom and, just after the withdrawal with refund date, they announced it would be 1-3. My 1st advice is to visit and research all the teachers in case of a change. 2nd, be very diligent in reviewing curriculum. My child had been highly successful with Singapore Math, but the school uses Investigations. My child had used the 2 lined paper with the dotted line in the middle for handwriting for the previous 3 years. The switch to HWT actually made handwriting more difficult 3rd, Private schools have nothing to prevent teachers from coming in physical contact with your child. We understand hugs, but this also means that the physical grabbing of your child s chin and forcibly raising it to meet the teacher s eyes in front of you is acceptable. 4th, If your child has a chronic condition, be sure you are available to come dispense your child s medication. The classroom teachers are in charge of this and repeatedly forgot to give my child the inhaler per my child's asthma plan. Other private schools do force the parent to come in to dispense the medication when there is no nurse or allow the child to carry his or her own inhaler.

Posted November 09, 2013
When your kid says "I think Shakespeare is funny" you have to be happy with the rest of that conversation. The depth of learning is what I like best. Other things I like include: The teachers really know the kids. The kids treat each other like siblings. They teach math and reading based on the individual's ability, so that they all learn better. Older kids read to the younger kids. Every kid is on stage for a school play. The do a number of trips to places that expand the in class learning. I like that my kids have learned about art, music and spanish. I think the school is run a little bit like a family, meaning not perfect all the time. The one area that they could improve upon is communication.

Posted November 08, 2013
We love Odyssey. My son comes home every day happy, exhausted, and eager to tell us about everything he learned. I feel like the entire school knows my son and us, it has a true feeling of community.

Odyssey Day School 1

Posted November 05, 2013
f you are looking for child care, DO NOT choose this place!! It is by far the WORST childcare facility I have ever came across!! Its utterly ridiculous!!

Posted August 08, 2013
Where to begin talking about Odyssey? My family has been involved with the small school for the past 9 years. Each of my children attended their preschool program and my daughter attended the kindergarten also. The nurturing love and attention that they each received has stayed with them for their entire life. Both of them consider Odyssey their home. My daughter enter public school in 1st grade with the skills of a second grader at her school. This school is a very deserving school for this grant. They run on a very tight budget and every penny donated to them goes back to the betterment of the students and program.

Odyssey Day School