Ann Arbor, MI
Before care: Yes

Posted March 29, 2014
We are very happy with the education our daughter is getting at Dicken. The teachers, principal, staff and parents do an amazing job. Our daughter loves Dicken and loves to learn. As a parent I am thrilled that she is excelling academically and is performing well above her grade level. Even more important is that she is learning about the importance of community and how to be a thoughtful/good citizen.

Posted March 27, 2014
Dicken is a fantastic school! As a parent with 6 years invested in the school (and a few more ahead), I can say it is a great place to send my kids. What makes it special are 3 things: strong leadership by the wonderful principal and active PTO, incredibly involved parents, neighborhood school with diversity and a strong sense of community. Parents here realize that you get out what you put in, and they put in! The values at this school are outstanding. It is not snobbish or on the "fast track" culture. (Kids with iPhones Etc). Like any school, some teachers are amazing and others so-so. But the overall environment is top notch. Kids have access to so much enrichment: Amazing recess programs including gardening, chess, recycling program, choir, and some others too. Strong PTO brings funding for enriching school assembles and field trips. Students here are great kids, happy kids who feel secure knowing that Dicken is more than just their school, it is their community.

Posted December 05, 2013
Dicken is a wonderful community that gets better every year. Our 5th year at Dicken and this learning community has great leadership of the Principal and PTO. Students are challenged to excel. The staff spends a lot of time assessing and meeting the needs of the individual child. The PTO benefits from parent and volunteer involvement that allows educational, healthy activities throughout the year (ie Dicken Dash, Dicken Garden, Community of Cultures, Super Science Day,,,the list goes on). In addition, Dicken is tucked away in a quiet neighborhood with tree lined streets and sidewalks that make walking and biking to school a snap.

Posted January 05, 2013
I have had 3 kids at Dicken over the past 7 years. I couldn't be happier. The teachers go above and beyond to make sure that every student's needs are met. Teachers are welcoming to parents and grandparents when they come into the classrooms. I volunteer weekly in one classroom and the library and have been very impressed with the way the staff interacts with the students. There are so many parents who volunteer on a regular basis. My three kids have all enjoyed Dicken and learned so much. My oldest has made a smooth transition to Slauson Middle School. There are lunch time enrichment activities like singing, gardening, and recycling. The annual Dicken Woods Walk which takes place in February is a time for the whole Dicken neighborhood and Dicken students to interact by walking through Dicken woods lit up with hundreds of decorated vases. The art teacher at Dicken is phenomenal!

Dicken Elementary School 3

Posted November 08, 2012
We just moved to the area, and were excited to have our kids in Ann Arbor schools. It is nice to be in a better school system than where we were previously. However, we are a bit disappointed with Dicken because the environment is not a friendly one. My kids complain every day that all they hear is teachers yelling at kids. My son's teacher has been wonderful...keeps parents informed on learning and happenings through weekly newsletters. My daughter, who is in 4th grade, used to LOVE school, but now she hates it because it is not a happy place of learning/lacks nurturing (she came home from school on her first day and cried for an hour). I am now worried that she is losing her love of learning :( I like how this is really a neighborhood school and lots of involvement from parents. The Dicken Dash was a fantastic fundraiser. I also love that the kids get to bring home fresh veggies from the school garden!

Dicken Elementary School 1

Posted October 19, 2012
After being at Dicken for 6 years, we decided to move to another school within the Slauson cluster. Others have commented here that other schools are academically superior to Dicken- this is absolutely the case. Dicken is mediocre at best. Ask any parent who transferred from Dicken to another AAPS school - they all say the same thing. If you are in the Slauson cluster, you can do much better than Dicken.

Dicken Elementary School 1

Posted October 17, 2012
We moved our children because they were unhappy here . There are many schools in Ann arbor that have much better learning environments .

Posted June 06, 2012
We have been at Dicken for 6 years and the thing that I appreciate most is the diversity of the community both ethnically and socio-economically. I also appreciate the high participation rate of parent volunteers from the full range of that diversity. At our impressive Community of Cultures celebration this year, the principal shared that there are over 70 languages spoken at our school. I feel that this teaches lessons that cannot be taught from a book. The sense of community at this school is wonderful.

Dicken Elementary School 3

Posted May 14, 2012
This is a very average school. There are a lot of folks writing positive reviews right now because they would like to raise the status of their local school and their community and housing value. But having moved out of this neighborhood and moved my children to another location, i am stunned at how different and better the education is in other schools in ann arbor. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but you should know the truth. Good luck .

Posted May 04, 2012
We have been at Dicken Elementary for six years and we couldn't be happier. It provides a diverse environment of caring teachers, staff and parents working toward the common goal of providing the best possible education for our children. It is more than a school, it is a community that helps one another both inside and outside the classroom. I would recommend it without hesitation.

Dicken Elementary School
2135 Runnymede Boulevard, Ann Arbor, MI  48103
(734) 994-1928
Last modified Dicken Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dicken Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top