Charter Township of Clinton, MI

Ottawa Elementary School 1

Posted November 21, 2013
Some of the school is disappointing. Most of the teachers seem to care, but there are a some who just go thru the motions. All the special teachers are outstanding. Unless you get one of the teachers who gives it their all, you end up at best with an teacher who's just there. This years Pto is disappointing. No Halloween Dance, No Chirstmas breakfest with Santa, No Valentine Pirate Dance and No end of the year Carnival( - last years Carnival was a blast!!!). What do we have a Pto for besides collecting money? The principal is very nice, but after you been here a couple of years; you can tell the schools on auto pilot. He is nice to all the kids though. I can see there being some good and bad reviews for this school - it's what your use to (the elementary school my son went to did so much more) and who your child gets as a teacher, which is the luck of the draw.

Posted January 31, 2013
Love, love Ottawa ! The staff is warm, friendly and so much like a family. Parents and teachers work together. The principal is excellent. He knows each family and has the best heart. My children feel safe there. They love their teachers... Present and former. The school is very small so everyone seems to know the students even if they are not assigned to their grade level.

Posted December 17, 2012
I have had 3 older children go through Ottawa and I currently have 2 more children still in Ottawa. I have to say that I am VERY disappointed by the negative reviews, but compared to the MANY positive reviews, I hope anyone who sees this will be able to tell that some people out there dont realize that the whole world doesnt stop because they walk in the room. To bash an entire school for someone not smiling or being friendly enough to you is just ridiculous! Mr Lockhart, the principal, knows every child by name and genuinely cares about them! He still knows the names of my children who arent there anymore. THAT is what I want in a principal! I have been blessed to have children go through Mrs. Kiley, Mr. Everett, Mrs Meeusen, Mrs Nosakowski, Ms Martin, Mrs Moro, Mrs Brennan, Mrs Digiglio and Mr Hughes. The specials teachers are also amazing. The clubs held after school for academic and fun are awesome! Mrs King, Mrs Pearson, Mrs Perkins are wonderful! Mrs Sobah and Mrs Jayroe are awesome and so friendly (sec/clerk who everyone complained has since retired)! Mrs Hobert is so cheerful and positive. I love this school and am so thankful that we landed here! I love and adore you all!

Ottawa Elementary School 2

Posted January 20, 2012
My daughter attended Ottawa. At fist I was excited about the school then as the year went on I realized I was getting no help from the staff. My daughter is very gifted and I have talked to her teachers and the principal about ways to stimulate and keep her motivated. They were willing to give her extra work but could not provide much past that. The test scores show this school does the minimal for the kids. Not impressed.

Posted September 06, 2011
My daughter attends Ottawa. We moved just out of district recently, but I am keeping her at Ottawa. Why? For a number of reasons: Smaller school building, AWESOME (did i say awesome? let me say it again..awesome) principal, who knows all of the kids very well. The teachers, for the most part, are very communicative with parents (again, parents NEED to be involved...don't put it all on the teachers). The nurse and social worker are very helpful and caring. The PTO always has fundraisers and after school events for the kids (dances, end of year carnival, breakfast for moms/dads, book fairs, etc). The only negative is the office staff. There is one woman who just sits at her desk all day. You can be the only one in the room, but she still won't acknowledge you. The other staff members are nice. Ottawa also offers, free of charge, a homework club that meets 3 days out of the week, for an hour after school, to help kids catch up with work. My daughter is more productive in this club than she would be at home, so I love it! Excellent School!!! The art/gym/music teachers are excellent, as well.

Posted September 06, 2011
This is an excellent school, , all of our children have attended ottawa. , Our son is currently attending. The principal is wonderful I love how he knows all the children by name. The teachers are truly dedicated an care about there students. We loved the school so much that when we moved we got an in district transfer so he could continue going. The staff at ottawa truly are careing people an our children are their main concern. I wouldn't change anything they are truly dedicated....

Posted May 23, 2011
This is a very caring school. The students are wonderful. They love their teachers and they know that all the staff knows them, and that is a safe place to go. Learning in number one. I am sorry there are parents writing in who apparently have grudges. There is always a few who spoil it for others. But if you come to Ottawa you will see first hand which parents are angry and bitter. Many, many of our parents, and PTO members are welcoming and friendly with all the kids. No matter the social economic class. They even have funds to help the children who need assistance. We have a few bad apples,who think that they don't have to follow rules. Rules are made to keep our students safe. Teachers make rules because they have to consider everychild in thier room -- no just the ones who can pay the teacher off

Ottawa Elementary School 4

Posted May 10, 2011
The school academic wise is ok for a public school. My child is considered gifted so the down side is she spends so much of her time helping others instead of being challenged. The PTO group is not worth joining. It is very "she said, she said" typical clique and maybe that's the problem? Professionalism needs improvement as I do feel that when a visitor enters the office that they shouldn't have to wait for the secretary to stop gossipping before being helped. This has happened several times this year. Classroom communication between parent /teacher needs improvement. More parent/teacher conferences should be scheduled.

Posted May 10, 2011
As a former teacher at Ottawa, I can honestly say that the principal and staff are highly dedicated people who care about their students so much that their own families often have to suffer. They should not be judged by how many extracurricular activities they attend, but by how happy and safe their students feel with an excitement for learning and an appreciation of success. When a student needs support, a service is provided. This staff has helped to provide food, clothing, and supplies to families that are in need with their own personal money. To say this staff is detached or uncaring is false! The parents, PTO, and staff have always been supportive of each other. It would be easy to name those few parents who wrote the negative reviews and continue to be critical of those things that were voted on and passed by the majority. What a shame that they are only hurting their own school! Ottawa is often referred to as the "Ottawa Family" for a reason, and the people working there are there because they want to be there. They form long-lasting friendships with the community, and many former students have brought back their own children to experience this great place to learn.

Posted May 08, 2011
I have had two children attend Ottawa. I feel that the staff provides an excellent opportunity for learning. Since it is one of the smaller elementary schools, the staff and families there.

Ottawa Elementary School
18601 Millar Road, Charter Township of Clinton, MI  48036
Last modified Ottawa Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ottawa Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top