PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Japhet School 1

Posted February 02, 2016
The information that was dispensed at the first meeting was not accurate. There are a lot of discrepencies with the teaching. The environment was nice but our children need more than that to prepare for school. Another reviewer mentioned that the teachers had no official education. This is disheartening...if it's true. I have a friend who has had more experience at japhet and did concur with another reviewer that there is favoritism. If this is happening, how does it fit into the teachings of our children if the one running the place do not follow their own philosophy. Do as I say, not as I do? Too many great options!

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted February 02, 2016
Please practice what you preach! Little ones really pay attention to all the little details.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted February 02, 2016
The educators need to practice this before they are in the position of teaching to their students.

Posted December 03, 2014
I am a parent of two alumni from Japhet and they both entered public high school with a solid foundation of character -- so necessary at that age when their decision-making is independent. Academically both my children have done very well, taking advanced classes and getting involved. They made great choices in their friends. Something I really appreciate about Japhet is its unique emphasis on public speaking. My kids have been presenting to a large audience since they were 6 -- it's a real confidence builder. But I think the greatest gift that Japhet gave my children is the gift of community, especially the relationship-building with their teachers. My daughter, now in college, says she credits Japhet for the ease she feels when approaching a professor for help during office hours. She knows that teachers are there to help. Thank you, Japhet. I strongly recommend this school!!

Posted May 30, 2014
My child is attending preschool here & will move up to kindergarten in the fall. I was shocked to read two of the negative reviews on the preschool program as our experience has been better than what we expected. Japhet truly nurtures the whole child, I see each child given respect and every opportunity to grow. I was concerned that my child was behind in letter recognition but of no account to the school. He is very creative & showed no interest in letters. This only changed the way the teachers worked with him, helping him in more creative ways that suited his learning style. The small class sizes & individualized instruction (for everyone) allowed for this. He has completely blossomed! I'm almost tired of always talking about letters and sounds ; ) he is also reading which is such a relief & joy to experience. The preschool room is filled with extremely creative activities all which teach not only the basics such as letters, counting, reading, math...etc, but also about our world and peaceful conflict resolution. My family and I are very proud to be apart of this community.

Japhet School 2

Posted May 19, 2014
We were so excited to enroll our child in preschool at Japhet, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. They do not prepare the preschoolers for kindergarten. The teacher does not focus on fundamentals enough and I will have to supplement this summer to make sure my son is prepared for kindergarten. I also felt the teacher was not personable and would brush my questions off regarding my child's experience there and say things like "your child is doing fine, he's happy." Nothing specific. The class was not that big so certainly she knew the students a little better than that? Also they did not handle a few situations properly and I feel there is a lot of obvious favoritism. The parent involvement they emphasize is for donations to the school and occasional special events, no emphasis on parental involvement in the classroom. Unfortunately I would not recommend this school.

Posted January 16, 2014
We had a wonderful early childhood experience at Japhet. I must say that I noticed only one average review and it couldn't be further from what we experienced. Our children both attended Pre- School (and are still at the school in first and sixth). The Pre-School and Kindergarten preparation were both tailored to our children's needs and skill level. The program is play based but the foundation of the Kindergarten is rooted in the Montessori method. Both my children were completely prepared for their next steps (in fact they have been at every level) and Japhet provides additional support as well as a comfortable environment for advanced work when necessary. I was so pleased with the nurturing environment and the early childhood teachers at Japhet. We feel this school is a gem and are so grateful we found it. Where else can you have your Preschooler come home and start helping with the dishes saying "look mom, I'm showing initiative today!" The Character Education program is the real deal!

Japhet School 2

Posted January 09, 2014
My daughter attended preschool here and we were not very impressed. While many of the activities were very creative they did not do a very good job preparing the kids academically for kindergarten. I spent the summer working with my daughter to ensure she would be ready for kindergarten. I was also disappointed when I realized that the head teacher did not have a teaching nor child development degree of any kind. I would rate the preschool as average but not worth the tuition.

Posted September 24, 2013
The focus on character education is what initially captured my interest. The excellent academics, small classroom sizes, and remarkable teachers is what has kept my family at Japhet for more than 7 years. I cannot stress how wonderful it has been to have my children in an environment that stresses such things as industry, honesty, initiative and courage AND the way that they weave the character qualities into everything (from math to cooking to science) is amazing. Highly recommend the school to anyone looking for a better situation.

Posted September 24, 2013
The Japhet School provides a wonderful foundation for students' academic lives and beyond. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to attended Japhet from Daycare - 8th grade. I currently serve on the Board of Trustees, and can tell that Japhet still has the sense of community and strong academics that it did when I was student. I can't recommend this school enough!

839 S. Crooks Rd., Clawson, MI  48017