Clawson, MI
Before care: Yes

Posted December 03, 2014
I am a parent of two alumni from Japhet and they both entered public high school with a solid foundation of character -- so necessary at that age when their decision-making is independent. Academically both my children have done very well, taking advanced classes and getting involved. They made great choices in their friends. Something I really appreciate about Japhet is its unique emphasis on public speaking. My kids have been presenting to a large audience since they were 6 -- it's a real confidence builder. But I think the greatest gift that Japhet gave my children is the gift of community, especially the relationship-building with their teachers. My daughter, now in college, says she credits Japhet for the ease she feels when approaching a professor for help during office hours. She knows that teachers are there to help. Thank you, Japhet. I strongly recommend this school!!
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 30, 2014
My child is attending preschool here & will move up to kindergarten in the fall. I was shocked to read two of the negative reviews on the preschool program as our experience has been better than what we expected. Japhet truly nurtures the whole child, I see each child given respect and every opportunity to grow. I was concerned that my child was behind in letter recognition but of no account to the school. He is very creative & showed no interest in letters. This only changed the way the teachers worked with him, helping him in more creative ways that suited his learning style. The small class sizes & individualized instruction (for everyone) allowed for this. He has completely blossomed! I'm almost tired of always talking about letters and sounds ; ) he is also reading which is such a relief & joy to experience. The preschool room is filled with extremely creative activities all which teach not only the basics such as letters, counting, reading, math...etc, but also about our world and peaceful conflict resolution. My family and I are very proud to be apart of this community.

Posted May 19, 2014
We were so excited to enroll our child in preschool at Japhet, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. They do not prepare the preschoolers for kindergarten. The teacher does not focus on fundamentals enough and I will have to supplement this summer to make sure my son is prepared for kindergarten. I also felt the teacher was not personable and would brush my questions off regarding my child's experience there and say things like "your child is doing fine, he's happy." Nothing specific. The class was not that big so certainly she knew the students a little better than that? Also they did not handle a few situations properly and I feel there is a lot of obvious favoritism. The parent involvement they emphasize is for donations to the school and occasional special events, no emphasis on parental involvement in the classroom. Unfortunately I would not recommend this school.

Posted January 16, 2014
We had a wonderful early childhood experience at Japhet. I must say that I noticed only one average review and it couldn't be further from what we experienced. Our children both attended Pre- School (and are still at the school in first and sixth). The Pre-School and Kindergarten preparation were both tailored to our children's needs and skill level. The program is play based but the foundation of the Kindergarten is rooted in the Montessori method. Both my children were completely prepared for their next steps (in fact they have been at every level) and Japhet provides additional support as well as a comfortable environment for advanced work when necessary. I was so pleased with the nurturing environment and the early childhood teachers at Japhet. We feel this school is a gem and are so grateful we found it. Where else can you have your Preschooler come home and start helping with the dishes saying "look mom, I'm showing initiative today!" The Character Education program is the real deal!

Posted January 09, 2014
My daughter attended preschool here and we were not very impressed. While many of the activities were very creative they did not do a very good job preparing the kids academically for kindergarten. I spent the summer working with my daughter to ensure she would be ready for kindergarten. I was also disappointed when I realized that the head teacher did not have a teaching nor child development degree of any kind. I would rate the preschool as average but not worth the tuition.

Posted September 24, 2013
The focus on character education is what initially captured my interest. The excellent academics, small classroom sizes, and remarkable teachers is what has kept my family at Japhet for more than 7 years. I cannot stress how wonderful it has been to have my children in an environment that stresses such things as industry, honesty, initiative and courage AND the way that they weave the character qualities into everything (from math to cooking to science) is amazing. Highly recommend the school to anyone looking for a better situation.

Posted September 24, 2013
The Japhet School provides a wonderful foundation for students' academic lives and beyond. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to attended Japhet from Daycare - 8th grade. I currently serve on the Board of Trustees, and can tell that Japhet still has the sense of community and strong academics that it did when I was student. I can't recommend this school enough!

Posted July 31, 2013
This school has poor preparation for high school, especially with math and socialization. The school student population is very unstable, with very few students staying through eighth grade. We had an ongoing issue with our son's teacher that continued for more than one year due to the structure of two years with the same teacher. We were much happier this year after switching him to another private school in the area. Also, the staff diversity is minimal. We did like the large field for recess, but have heard that the school is moving to a facility without a playground.

Posted June 08, 2013
Japhet is a warm, inviting school with emphasis on public speaking and teaching character. I'm very glad my student goes there, and I see the difference that a quality education can make.

Posted April 24, 2013
Japhet is a great value for the type of environment and education they provide. The staff there is caring and supportive and allow kids to be themselves. The character education piece is great and has lead to many good discussions with our kids. The class sizes are small and have allowed for a great deal of one-on-one time with teachers. The staff is creative and make the most out of their facilities. Field trip choices are good. The people at Japhet really care about it and take pride in their school. If there is something that we didn't love about Japhet it is the strong emphasis on fund raising. That being said, the tuition is significantly less than comparable schools , and this may be a trade off that is well worth it, depending on your situation. I highly recommend Japhet.

Japhet School