Dearborn Heights, MI

St Sebastian Catholic School 1

Posted March 04, 2012
This is a very lacking school. i attended from pre-school 3 to sixth grade. it was a terrible experience the teachers do not care about you unless you are a 4.0 student. The teachers are cruel and they give a ridiculous amount of work and little time to do it. When i went from catholic school to public i was amazed at how far advanced the public schools were. they had all new computers, compared the dinosaurs St.Sebastians has. and the teachers at public school do try to get everybody an advanced education. I learned so much more my seventh grade year and i continue to learn. i am currently in french 2 and St.Sebastians only teaches spanish. The only positive thing I have to say is the other students they are amazingly kind and good-hearted people.

Posted April 12, 2011
St. Sebastian offers a wonderful faith based education! Contrary to a comment I read, the teachers ARE very receptive to helping children. Often I find that a parent who has this complaint is one who has not taken the time to schedule a meeting with a teacher and find out exactly what the problem is and then invest the time and energy it takes to solve the problem. As someone with a child who struggled academically in the lower grades I found a huge amount of support and help from the teachers and principal. The school also currently offers a mentoring program where volunteers (mostly retirees) come in and work with children one on one or in small groups to help them with subjects/concepts they are having trouble with. St. Sebastian also has a brand new computer lab and a new computer teacher who is fabulous. I would invite anyone to come to visit the school on any day and see classes in action and talk to the students, teachers and parents.

Posted February 03, 2011
I have just enrolled my son here, because the local elementary school in Dearborn was changing for the worst. The teachers are very approachable, and the course work was much more advanced than public schools. The quality of work in the eighth grade science fair rivals that of most 11 graders in the public high school. There is a tremendous amount of parental involvement required by the parents, and the principle does not tolerate lazy parents, thus i suppose the few bad reviews. This is a very loving and secure environment for our child. My wife and I both have advanced degrees and feel the coursework is beyond what Dearborn public offers. That being said this is not a turnkey school, parents are expected to assist with homework, and help with fundraising.

Posted October 07, 2010
I contacted St. Sebastian after visiting several of the public schools in Dearborn Heights with kindergarten class capacities of 29+ students per one very young teacher. What does a child learn in that environment? I felt discouraged and upset after that morning of visits. Thankfully, I remembered St. Sebastian Church and dropped in unannounced to check out the school. I can not put enough emphasis on how glad I am that I did!! Sister Geraldine - the Principal - is a nationally awarded school administrator who is warm while exuding a calm strength about her, the Assistant Principal is a seasoned teaching professional with an energy and care for the students that I never experienced in my own academic life. And, the lovely kindergarten teacher has over 15 years of experience and 17 children in class. The children have started a review of the alphabet and next comes reading. We're only two months into kindergarten. I can't stress how wonderful it is to know that my daughter is getting a solid start within a WONDERFUL community and a sound academic foundation. I would recommend St. Sebastian to friends, family and neighbors without a hesitation. It is a gem hidden amongst the side streets of District 7.

St Sebastian Catholic School 0

Posted February 17, 2010
This school is great if your children are self directed and fast learners. However, if you have a child that needs extra help you will never get it at this school. Not only do the teachers fall to communicate with the parents, but make it apparent that your bothering them if you have concerns. It is worse in the upper grades. The students have several teachers and once again they do not communicate with each other. As a result of this lack of communication many times your child will have several exams within the same week and or day. Since the exams are worth 50% of your overall grade this is very stressfull on both the child and the parents. This is unneccessary.

St Sebastian Catholic School 3

Posted February 16, 2010
Curriculum is very weak and technology is a joke. The principle is cold and unapproachable. Nice families, good kids. Still beats D7 public schools but barely.

St Sebastian Catholic School 0

Posted October 25, 2009
St. Sebastian has a dedicated staff that prepares the students spiritually and academically.

St Sebastian Catholic School 4

Posted October 19, 2009

Posted August 28, 2009
this is the best school in the world!! The teachers are wonderful! they have the best sport teams! everyone there is really friendly!! this is the best school in the world!

St Sebastian Catholic School 1

Posted March 18, 2009
My child and I love her teachers at St. Sebastian; however the principal and the pastor are very petty, rude, uncaring, and disrespectful to the children and parents. They are control freaks. Parents have no part of ANY decisions that concern our children. The new pastor and Sr. Geraldine are in total control.

St Sebastian Catholic School
20700 Colgate Street, Dearborn Heights, MI  48125
Last modified St Sebastian Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Sebastian Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top